Composite Connections and RF Remote

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheMissingLink22

Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
USA
I am thinking of switching to DirecTV. The setup would be a Genie and two Genie Minis. Would it be possible to hook the Genie Minis up with composite connections so that I can put it in an rf modulator to view in other rooms? If so, what would I need in order to accomplish this? Also, are the remotes for the Genie Minis RF so that I can use them from the other rooms?

But why? The picture would be standard def

Maybe those other rooms only have SDTV's anyway, so it really wouldn't matter. Or, maybe they're used so infrequently &/or just for "background noise", settling for an SD picture is worth the savings of $7 extra for each of those extra boxes. I do this very thing on all my DVR's to some of my TV's, (like in the garage, unfinished area of the basement, etc.) but run them thru a Channel+ Stereo modulator, that I've had for years & still works great.

To the OP: here's the cable Claude was talking about...it's NOT expensive to buy one yourself, but when the DirecTV installer shows up, just ask him & he'll probably have one on his truck to give you.
DIRECTV 10 Pin Composite Dongle Cable for C31 & C41 Genie Client 10PINCOMPOS | eBay

Something to warn you about though...unlike other sat/cable receivers, none of the HD DirecTV receivers allow you to see any on-screen graphics (guide, info bars, etc.) on the SD outputs & simultaneously in HD on the HDMI/Component outputs; when you attempt to use any OSD's on the SD set(s), you just get a warning that you need to use an HDMI cable. (or to that effect) You CAN switch the receiver into SD mode to fix this, but then if you want to see HD on the HDTV outputs, it's going to also be in SD; you would then have to switch the receiver back into HD mode to watch HD on the HDTV's - which you WILL find to be a big PITA!

Something else you might want to consider...if it's easy to run new cables in your house, maybe you might want to consider using an HDMI splitter & (long) HDMI cables to those other TV's, particularly if they are actually HDTV's - that way, you'll still be able to watch in HD on those sets, NOT have to deal with the OSD issues I mentioned above, but still not have to have a receiver on each of them. HDMI splitters & cables are pretty cheap these days & can easily be ordered on ebay or other sites.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)