Compression connector question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got another tool that works pretty well for pushing on connectors. It's a little T handle thing and you screw the connector onto it so you can push the connector on the cable. I think I might have got it at Rat Shack or maybe even Home Depot.

I've got probably 5 of those from Rat Shack...when I use to use twist on connectors :eek:

so are these compression connectors really that much better than well-done crimp-on connectors (for grounding, connectivity) or is DIRECTV and DISH Network just going overboard when they say compression connectors are the only acceptable RG-6 connectors for their installs?

I'm just about out of crimp-ons and wondering if I should set myself up with compression connectors or just buy some more crimp-ons.

so are these compression connectors really that much better than well-done crimp-on connectors (for grounding, connectivity) or is DIRECTV and DISH Network just going overboard when they say compression connectors are the only acceptable RG-6 connectors for their installs?

I'm just about out of crimp-ons and wondering if I should set myself up with compression connectors or just buy some more crimp-ons.

They have less of a chance to fail and more likely to stay waterproof hence less of a need for a return visit for a wiring issue.

Try the compression connectors, you'll love them. You can get a kit with some connectors and the squishing tool etc for pretty reasonable.
I was a skeptic until I tried them

I miss dumps
We don't get to have them here. We have to put everything in big trucks and they take it away and hide it.
I miss surplus stores too.

I miss them also. A few years ago I lived in the country and had to bring my own garbage to the dump. They had a shack beside the recycling bins that was for leaving good used stuff that you didn't want anymore and anyone could take anything from there. I got a couple good used computer monitors from there along with a few other useful things. Now that I live in the city the trucks get everything and even if you bring a truckload of stuff to dump yourself you are not allowed to remove anything from it. Not that you would have time anyways as the dozers are covering every that what dumped within an hour.

Compression connectors are the way to go for long term reliance and performance. I highly recommend Compression connectors for those installing a motorized system. The motor requires all the conductivity you can supply.

Compression fittings preserve the 75 ohm impedance of the signal path, while crimp-on fittings may alter that impedance if not installed with an absolutely perfect crimp. Compression fittings form a 360-degree seal around the cable, which not only provides for proper impedance rating, but also seals out moisture.

Be wary of the PPC's that are sold by the Big Box retailers, as they are usually NOT the commercial-grade PPC-EX6's (and are waaay overpriced)...

Sorry, same connector, they don't make them any different for Ideal who distributes them into HD. They just go into a 10K box rather than being bagged in 50's

NOW, there are 2 lengths, EX and XL, HD only carries XL because it uses the same compression tool throw as CMP and SNS and Stirling and Digi and Gilbert and all the knockoffs thereof. EX uses a shorter, proprietary throw and is used in systems with concerns over materials theft.

As far as price, if you want to buy over $200 in "stuff", have a business license, pass a credit app, and can show proof of which system you work for as a contractor you too can buy at the same price as the system you work in.

Compression fittings preserve the 75 ohm impedance of the signal path, while crimp-on fittings may alter that impedance if not installed with an absolutely perfect crimp. Compression fittings form a 360-degree seal around the cable, which not only provides for proper impedance rating, but also seals out moisture.

What defines a perfect crimp? I agree to an imperfect crimp, crimp will always leave 6 points of moisture entry (the raised points in the crimp) even "outdoor" crimps with silicone sealing gel will eventually heat in the environment and the sealing gel will dissipate in the cable. Crimp connectors WILL fail eventually PERIOD. Also crimp tools go out of proper calibration within 5 connectors, each connector brings more strain, more stretch to the tool, making each succesive connector weaker in holding power to the cable. Also using the crimp tool as a hammer really helps matters too...

In todays day and age of using the shielding braid to provide the negative side of a power supply for motorized dishes you cannot afford to take any chances with moisture migration and braid corrosion inhibiting the flow of energy. As the braid corrodes and breaks down, the resistance to power flow increases along with heat build up, as the heat builds the cable impedance changes, its just a never ending bad story. Compression fittings properly installed will outlast the jacket of the cable, literaly the cable will need to fail before the connector will.

I use to use twist on connectors :eek:

Compression connectors only here now...real easy to go on and always work :)

The Home Depot and Lowes stores around here don't sell anything that remotely resembles the build quality of a PPC-EX6. Perhaps they have different stock regionally, but I would check to be certain before investing in a large lot of fittings from a big box retailer. I've used both the big box fittings and the EX6 fittings, and the EX6's are substantially superior to the big box fittings purchased from local HD or Lowes stores.

Lowes doesn't carry PPC, with no name recognition they don't see the value in it. HD carries PPC thru the Ideal distributorship. They carry 5 and 50 packs of the EX6XL, same connector sold to cable and sat. Price to the public I suppose is fair, but for the pro you can do much better thru Budco or other distribution channels. Sadoun is a pretty fair price on multiple bag purchases.

Soon PPC intends to direct distribute on a smaller scale to the sat and cable sub-contractors at the prices the system they work-ins cost. You have to prove who you work for, but then you pay what they pay and that is all fair in the end, no more soaking the sub on tooling and connectors, plus decreased capital spent on stocking tooling in the warehouses for the companies. Its a win win all the way around.

Does anyone here realize PPC also makes RCA and BNC ends for 59 and 6? They also have bulk HDMI cables that lock in the port to reduce repeats?

I have heard that PPC sells RCA and BNC fittings, but have never actually seen one anywhere. Currently, I am using F-Conn (Digicon) for my RCA and BNC needs. These are distributed through ICMCorp, and work very well. The F-Conn BNCs are rather large (long, actually) and require a tool that has a wide enough gap to accommodate them. My compact (read: cheap) tool wouldn't work with them, so I had to invest in a real compression tool last year. It works wonderfully... I can build a BNC cable just as quickly as a plain, ordinary F cable. I would be interested in trying out the PPC versions if I could ever run across a few of them :)

...Now I'm a believer!

Well, as NYDiver said, Ideal is now distributing PPC-EX6 fittings under their brand name. I went into a local Home Depot yesterday, and the new stock is, indeed, PPC-EX6. They still had the older stock cheap fittings, same name (Ideal) and same SKU, but the newer stock seems to be a winner :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts