Compression on HD locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aztracker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Since subscribing to Directv back in February, I have been extremely pleased with the HD PQ. In fact, it exceeded my expectations. However, the past two or three days I've noticed signs of added compression on my local HD channels and some nationals for that matter.

What I'm seeing is a lot more artifacting (little square boxes and a grainy look) especially when there's a lot of motion on the screen. It seemed to happen right around the time that they were having those issues a couple days ago.

Anybody else notice this or am I crazy?

UPDATE: Ok, I don't think I'm crazy. I'm watching a few recorded shows from last week and they appear to be much better quality

Since subscribing to Directv back in February, I have been extremely pleased with the HD PQ. In fact, it exceeded my expectations. However, the past two or three days I've noticed signs of added compression on my local HD channels and some nationals for that matter.

What I'm seeing is a lot more artifacting (little square boxes and a grainy look) especially when there's a lot of motion on the screen. It seemed to happen right around the time that they were having those issues a couple days ago.

Anybody else notice this or am I crazy?

UPDATE: Ok, I don't think I'm crazy. I'm watching a few recorded shows from last week and they appear to be much better quality

We need some more info:
What channels are you talking about, you mentioned locals as well, are they coming from D* or OTA ?

Have you changed anything in your set up receintly ?
What receivers are you talking about and what dish are you using ?

What TV are you using ?
What were these issues from a few days ago, I don't recall any problems ...

As for compression on locals, if were talking OTA, they use mpeg2 technology and do it very well, they will not be changing to mpeg4... If your talking form D*, it starts out mpeg2 and gets sent to D* and D* makes it into mpeg4 and sends it out to you.

Jimbo

My locals are from D* since I am in an area of Phoenix that is shadowed by mountains and OTA isn't possible without a rooftop antenna. The channels I'm talking about are my PHX locals, HGTV, and TNTHD.

Nothing has changed with my setup on my Hitachi plasma 42inch 1080I or HR21-200.

The issues I'm talking about are the loss of channels the other day. It was widely reported. Although I'll admit that I noticed it more yesterday and today.

My locals are from D* since I am in an area of Phoenix that is shadowed by mountains and OTA isn't possible without a rooftop antenna. The channels I'm talking about are my PHX locals, HGTV, and TNTHD.

Nothing has changed with my setup on my Hitachi plasma 42inch 1080I or HR21-200.

The issues I'm talking about are the loss of channels the other day. It was widely reported. Although I'll admit that I noticed it more yesterday and today.

As far as your locals I can't help you, what the heck, I can't help you at all :D
I haven't watched HGTV OR TNTHD of late, so in this case I'm pretty useless to you.
I really wish I could watch your locals from NW Ohio !

Jimbo

TNT hd is one of the mpeg2 channels, which could easily explain why it doesn't look as good as the other hd channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts