Computer Clock Problem

Larobpra

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
North of "Upstate NY"
The clock in my computer (Windows XP Pro OS) keeps ending up with the wrong date when it has been off and is turned back on. It was off just 9 days when I turned it back on this evening, but most times it is off it has gone to October 18 (IIRC), 2002. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Daily scan with AVG free shows no viruses. I have Spybot S&D and AdAware but don't run either on a regular basis.

How old is this computer?
There is a small battery on the motherboard that runs the real-time clock and the BIOS memory.
This battery runs for years, but at some point it may require a replacement.
The first indication is the clock starting to reset itself, like what you are seeing.

That's exactly what you need to replace - the battery on MB.
Each time when you powered off the PC, internal clock in CMOS drop to initial value - usually what that manufacturer ordered. Seems your PC made in year 2002 or 2003.

If you are not sure how to do that youself, take your computer to Best Buy or another computer store and they will do it for you for a small fee.

On most computers the battery outlasts the computer itself. But in some cases it dies after just 3 years or so. It depends on the computer manufacturer and plain luck, I guess.

Best buy doesnt do anything for a small fee when it comes to the geek squad.
You might be right about that! I don't know how much they charge to replace a battery. Personally, I would do it myself.
But if someone has never opened a computer and is scared to death of touching the motherboard, I can imagine someone willing to pay money to have it done. ;)

I have an old dell where the internal battery died out, and it was the ONLY component that I couldn't get a hold of easily on the computer. Even Dell's website had info on how to replace everything EXCEPT that particular component. It's now collecting dust in one of my closets. At this point I should just wipe the HDD and then get it recycled.

That's usually the biggest problem is getting to the battery. Always seems to be behind the drives or under something you have to take apart all sorts of stuff to get to.

And if you're fanatical about time accuracy on your machine, search with your favorite engine for nistime32. It's a freeware tool to connect to and synchronize your system's clock with the US standard systems for time.

Best,

And if you're fanatical about time accuracy on your machine, search with your favorite engine for nistime32. It's a freeware tool to connect to and synchronize your system's clock with the US standard systems for time.

Best,

If you are running XP or Vista, syncing with an NTP server is built-in.

Attachments

• datetime.JPG
    datetime.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 132

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)