Computer Controlled Satellite Positioner / DVR

Simba7

Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Is there a way to control a satellite (or more) with a computer? I'm looking into getting a few (currently looking for 4) free 12 footers and would like a computer (my ol' P4) to control and act as a DVR.

A web interface would be awesome and access control would be a plus (prevent the kids from reaiming the dish while it's recording a show).

I'm looking into using Linux or FreeBSD.

Try Nasa but seriously though I havent seen anything like that available publicly so your looking at an industrial commercial grade software thats most likely used at satellite farms for companies like echostar and the goverment sites. Unless your an engineer and have a background in coding then to have someone else do it will cost you alot of money to make the software plus the hardware needed to interface with the setup.

Best thing that I can recommend is having four seperate systems going into an a/v splitter and using a home theater pc with large enough drives to act as a dvr, put the receivers into locking cabinets along with the remotes when not in your hands.

I know it's been quite awhile since my last post on this subject.. I was wondering if this is still possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts