concrete loafers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
How many bags of concrete or cement do I need for a 3 inch diameter or 3.5" pole 6 feet long for a 4 footer commercial dish? Any ideas?

I am no expert, but I believe the general rule of thumb is a 15" wide hole, with one third of the pole buried. But this does not consider the weight of a dish on top. I think it's a fence post guideline.

Enough to fill the hole ;) The real question is how big a hole? You need to dig the hole below the frost line for your area so it doesn't suffer from "Frost Heave". A lot depends on the type of ground you are digging. Clay? Gravel? just good clean topsoil? One thing for sure is you won't over do it. :)

As Magic says, depends on the ground. If in doubt, make it bigger! Can't really use too much cement unless you have to remove it someday. Only issue is the cost really.

One thing I have noted, if digging a round hole, keep in mind the balance of what you are mounting on top. With a straight vertical pole and dish mounted at the top, the weight balance point will be somewhere south of the pole (or in the direction the dish is pointing). This will present a constant moment pressure on the pole eventually causing it to lean in that direction. To counter this one could add extra weight behind the dish, or position the pole in the opposite side of the hole from where the dish will be pointing.

Second thing, I have always used bolts or a mounting plate system secured in the cement rather than burying the whole pole in the cement. This allows adjustment in case the original install was a bit off vertical, or the cement moves. Some welding might be required though. Also you can change out the pole using this method if for some reason it is too small, short, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)