Concrete Post for SG-2100?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RnR

SatelliteGuys Family
May 18, 2007
Greetings all...

I was thinking about cheapo alternatives to a metal pipe as an in-ground mounting solution for my SG-2100. The goal is to have a motorized Primestar in play for FTA.

So... after being quoted an approx. $60 for 6' of sch. 40 3" pipe, I hit on the idea of simply using some 3" conax drainage pipe as a form and filling it with concrete.

As I haven't read of anyone else using this type of "post" before, I thought I would float the idea here and see if any of you can pooh-pooh the design concept with a valid argument against it.

Whatcha think? :eureka

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I would think you might want some reiinforcement in the cement post.

I spent a whole $15 on my motorized post setup.

I went to fencing store, got some two 2 1/2 inch chainlink corner posts one 6 foot and one 8 foot. I cemented both into the ground 2 feet. I put lag bolts through the posts to keep them from rotating and then filled them with cement.

I secured the taller post to the smaller post with U-bolts and mounted my motorized setup to the tallest post. About 6 feet above ground. The second post and filling with cement practically prevents any movement in the wind.

Wescopc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 11, 2005
Canby, Oregon
You would need steel re-bar for sure. Un-reinforced concrete doesn't resist bending well at all.
Bob

RnR

SatelliteGuys Family
May 18, 2007
I spent a whole $15 on my motorized post setup.

Sounds interesting, and I think both of you are correct about the need for reinforcement.

SatinKzo - have you ever posted any pics of this particular arrangement?

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
No, I haven't posted any pics that actually show the poles. If I get a chance tonight, I'll snap a couple pics and upload them.

Obviously prices vary on everything I used and the place I went just had a pile of posts 1-5/8 and 2-1/2 for low prices, but I gotta believe that it is not uncommon to find elsewhere.
Cement I got on building clearance sale at local building supply store. U-bolts with nuts and plate were also 4 for $2.00. Lag bolts I had laying around, but I bet they aren't expensive.

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
What kind of P*? Elliptical? I have a P* elliptical on a 2 3/8 fence pipe filled with concrete, I found that putting the dish and motor LOW on the pole eliminates all the flex and it tracks the arc fine. If you have the 1m round dish, I don't know if that would work or not, my 1m dish did not do well with the 2 3/8. I have it on a piece of 3 inch drill stem. It's not going ANYWHERE.

YMMV.:)

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
here's pics of my setup. Again, these posts are filled to within a couple inches of the top with cement. Both poles are sunk 2 feet into the ground. Lag bolts through both to prevent twisting. Btw, I used the quick drying cement.

Motor is about 6 feet above ground (clear the fence) and it's been up for just about 1 year now. No twisting or anything as occurred and during heavy winds I rarely notice the dish moving (yeah I went out and watched one day).

Wiring is kind of a mess as I was playing with swapping a 22khz with a diseqc last week and have not finished tying things up.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 219

RnR

SatelliteGuys Family
May 18, 2007
What kind of P*? Elliptical? I have a P* elliptical on a 2 3/8 fence pipe filled with concrete, I found that putting the dish and motor LOW on the pole eliminates all the flex and it tracks the arc fine. If you have the 1m round dish, I don't know if that would work or not, my 1m dish did not do well with the 2 3/8. I have it on a piece of 3 inch drill stem. It's not going ANYWHERE

Actually, I have both - but am starting out with the elliptical.

RnR

SatelliteGuys Family
May 18, 2007
here's pics of my setup. Again, these posts are filled to within a couple inches of the top with cement. Both poles are sunk 2 feet into the ground. Lag bolts through both to prevent twisting. Btw, I used the quick drying cement.

Great! That helps clarify quite a bit and I thank you for going through the trouble of taking the pictures!

However I am not yet seeing those lag bolts...

I also note that you orient the pole pair on a North-South line - do you think it would work any better or worse going East-West? All speculation of course...

sabersaw

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 11, 2006
Dayton, Ohio
The lag bolts are probably in the cement. I didn't put any in mine and the pole would rotate when gusts of winds hit it. But after about a year, the pole quit rotating, Cement must of swelled up... which was a good thing for me.

My only regret on my install was not putting cross-members through the pole. Lag bolts would work great.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
You can't see the lag bolts cause they are buried in the cement in the ground :) I don't have an x-ray camera. They prevent the poles from turning or twisting. I drilled holes through, put the bolts through and threw a nut on the end, didn't tighten it up much, just hand tight.

I suppose the N-S orientation is not the most ideal, but honestly, I don't know if E-W would be better. I have no noticeable flex in the setup I have with the winds I experience. Even with the dish turned to the west.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)