Concrete Post for SG-2100?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RnR

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Greetings all...

I was thinking about cheapo alternatives to a metal pipe as an in-ground mounting solution for my SG-2100. The goal is to have a motorized Primestar in play for FTA.

So... after being quoted an approx. $60 for 6' of sch. 40 3" pipe, I hit on the idea of simply using some 3" conax drainage pipe as a form and filling it with concrete.

As I haven't read of anyone else using this type of "post" before, I thought I would float the idea here and see if any of you can pooh-pooh the design concept with a valid argument against it.

Whatcha think? :eureka

I would think you might want some reiinforcement in the cement post.

I spent a whole $15 on my motorized post setup.

I went to fencing store, got some two 2 1/2 inch chainlink corner posts one 6 foot and one 8 foot. I cemented both into the ground 2 feet. I put lag bolts through the posts to keep them from rotating and then filled them with cement.

I secured the taller post to the smaller post with U-bolts and mounted my motorized setup to the tallest post. About 6 feet above ground. The second post and filling with cement practically prevents any movement in the wind.

You would need steel re-bar for sure. Un-reinforced concrete doesn't resist bending well at all.
Bob

I spent a whole $15 on my motorized post setup.

Sounds interesting, and I think both of you are correct about the need for reinforcement.

SatinKzo - have you ever posted any pics of this particular arrangement?

No, I haven't posted any pics that actually show the poles. If I get a chance tonight, I'll snap a couple pics and upload them.

Obviously prices vary on everything I used and the place I went just had a pile of posts 1-5/8 and 2-1/2 for low prices, but I gotta believe that it is not uncommon to find elsewhere.
Cement I got on building clearance sale at local building supply store. U-bolts with nuts and plate were also 4 for $2.00. Lag bolts I had laying around, but I bet they aren't expensive.

What kind of P*? Elliptical? I have a P* elliptical on a 2 3/8 fence pipe filled with concrete, I found that putting the dish and motor LOW on the pole eliminates all the flex and it tracks the arc fine. If you have the 1m round dish, I don't know if that would work or not, my 1m dish did not do well with the 2 3/8. I have it on a piece of 3 inch drill stem. It's not going ANYWHERE.

YMMV.:)

here's pics of my setup. Again, these posts are filled to within a couple inches of the top with cement. Both poles are sunk 2 feet into the ground. Lag bolts through both to prevent twisting. Btw, I used the quick drying cement.

Motor is about 6 feet above ground (clear the fence) and it's been up for just about 1 year now. No twisting or anything as occurred and during heavy winds I rarely notice the dish moving (yeah I went out and watched one day).

Wiring is kind of a mess as I was playing with swapping a 22khz with a diseqc last week and have not finished tying things up.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 219
What kind of P*? Elliptical? I have a P* elliptical on a 2 3/8 fence pipe filled with concrete, I found that putting the dish and motor LOW on the pole eliminates all the flex and it tracks the arc fine. If you have the 1m round dish, I don't know if that would work or not, my 1m dish did not do well with the 2 3/8. I have it on a piece of 3 inch drill stem. It's not going ANYWHERE

Actually, I have both - but am starting out with the elliptical.

here's pics of my setup. Again, these posts are filled to within a couple inches of the top with cement. Both poles are sunk 2 feet into the ground. Lag bolts through both to prevent twisting. Btw, I used the quick drying cement.

Great! That helps clarify quite a bit and I thank you for going through the trouble of taking the pictures!

However I am not yet seeing those lag bolts...

I also note that you orient the pole pair on a North-South line - do you think it would work any better or worse going East-West? All speculation of course...

The lag bolts are probably in the cement. I didn't put any in mine and the pole would rotate when gusts of winds hit it. But after about a year, the pole quit rotating, Cement must of swelled up... which was a good thing for me.

My only regret on my install was not putting cross-members through the pole. Lag bolts would work great.

You can't see the lag bolts cause they are buried in the cement in the ground :) I don't have an x-ray camera. They prevent the poles from turning or twisting. I drilled holes through, put the bolts through and threw a nut on the end, didn't tighten it up much, just hand tight.

I suppose the N-S orientation is not the most ideal, but honestly, I don't know if E-W would be better. I have no noticeable flex in the setup I have with the winds I experience. Even with the dish turned to the west.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)