confirmed 8 new hd channels tomorrow!!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I made a couple of calls to local retailers. I didn't call Dish Network as I don't have the protection plan, and really don't want to add it to my account at the moment, or wish to extend any more months my current Commitment.

I mentioned to both retailers about the new HD coming this week, and the inability for me to receive them at the moment, so that is why I wanted a price to install a third Dish or replace my 119/110 Dish with a Dish 1000.2.

First Retailer told me receiving 129 is problematic in Western NY as the 129 satellite is too low in the sky at 22 degrees, (WTF its only 10 degrees West of 119, if I really couldn't receive 129 because of a low look angle I wouldn't be able to get 119 or 110 either, WHAT A TOOL). I then asked this same retailer about the 1000.2 Dish to replace my Dish 500 (119/110) or another Dish 500/Dish 300 pointed at 129 in addition to my Dish 500 for 119,110, and Dish 500 pointed at 61.5, He hums and haws for a few moments. I mentioned I had a spare port on my DPP44 for the 129 location to assure him I only need a new/replacement Dish. Again he told me he does NOT believe its possible, to which I responded just give me a price "about $200 bucks (89.95 for the Dish and 85 bucks to install it plus tax), "Thank you I'll call you back", NOT BLOODY LIKELY.

Second retailer, whom has been at my home before, $50 bucks for the extra Dish and $50 to install it CASH, "DONE". Installation either Friday or Saturday. I called this retailer first but I had to wait to have him call me back so in the meantime I talked to the first guy above.

What bothers me is not just the cost of the first retailer but the fact he was totally clueless. He then starts trying to get me to signup for DirecTV instead. Ahh, no thanks at the moment, "WHY", He asks. "Well, I have Center Ice, DirecTV doesn't have Versus, and I don't really like the implementation of External Hard Drives with DirecTV receivers, not to mention Dish has more HD channels at the moment.", I said. CLICK.

John

Its funny how so many of us are waiting for new channels, but it will be funnier if they dont flip the switch today...

And believe me, in the past we've been assured just as strenuously that channels were coming this or that particular uplink only to be told, when they didn't show up, that something "changed at the last minute". I don't think that's likely today (for a variety of reasons) but it's far from a "done deal".

I made a couple of calls to local retailers. I didn't call Dish Network as I don't have the protection plan, and really don't want to add it to my account at the moment, or wish to extend any more months my current Commitment.

I mentioned to both retailers about the new HD coming this week, and the inability for me to receive them at the moment, so that is why I wanted a price to install a third Dish or replace my 119/110 Dish with a Dish 1000.2.

First Retailer told me receiving 129 is problematic in Western NY as the 129 satellite is too low in the sky at 22 degrees, (WTF its only 10 degrees West of 119, if I really couldn't receive 129 because of a low look angle I wouldn't be able to get 119 or 110 either, WHAT A TOOL). I then asked this same retailer about the 1000.2 Dish to replace my Dish 500 (119/110) or another Dish 500/Dish 300 pointed at 129 in addition to my Dish 500 for 119,110, and Dish 500 pointed at 61.5, He hums and haws for a few moments. I mentioned I had a spare port on my DPP44 for the 129 location to assure him I only need a new/replacement Dish. Again he told me he does NOT believe its possible, to which I responded just give me a price "about $200 bucks (89.95 for the Dish and 85 bucks to install it plus tax), "Thank you I'll call you back", NOT BLOODY LIKELY.

Second retailer, whom has been at my home before, $50 bucks for the extra Dish and $50 to install it CASH, "DONE". Installation either Friday or Saturday. I called this retailer first but I had to wait to have him call me back so in the meantime I talked to the first guy above.

What bothers me is not just the cost of the first retailer but the fact he was totally clueless. He then starts trying to get me to signup for DirecTV instead. Ahh, no thanks at the moment, "WHY", He asks. "Well, I have Center Ice, DirecTV doesn't have Versus, and I don't really like the implementation of External Hard Drives with DirecTV receivers, not to mention Dish has more HD channels at the moment.", I said. CLICK.

John

Why bother wasting all that time and money. You can probably get an old dish for free and set it up yourself. That's what I did.

well I called and after a few minutes on hold she told me that I needed an upgrade to the 129 dish but the system wont let her give it to me until 5pm eastern time when the new channels come on line

Just a warning. I lost programming as soon as the work order went in. So now I have a bunch of SD and HD channels that are green and red in my guide. Not too bad, since everything will be back to normal tomorrow afternoon. So Dish couldn't explain why I had to lose channels, in order for the work order to go into place. Anyone care to explain? The rep who set it up did say I would have programming interruptions. I assumed she meant while the Tech was on the roof replacing the Dish tomorrow :confused: I can live with it. New BR player coming in today and Couples Retreat from Netflix. Wife still has her Soaps :D

Just a warning. I lost programming as soon as the work order went in. So now I have a bunch of SD and HD channels that are green and red in my guide. Not too bad, since everything will be back to normal tomorrow afternoon. So Dish couldn't explain why I had to lose channels, in order for the work order to go into place. Anyone care to explain?

It's always been that way. The system won't let them create a work order to upgrade you to receive channels when you're supposedly already receiving those channels. The classic example was when they started putting HD locals onto 61.5 for people who were originally installed with a dish at 129 for national HD. Since as far as the system is concerned, locals are locals, they had to remove locals in order to create a work order to add locals.

Yes, it's idiotic. For things that can't be handled by just changing the authorization database, they shouldn't be locked into inflexible software. They should be able to create a work order manually. But apparently, surprise surprise, nobody at Dish thinks that doing the right thing for the customer is a priority.

And believe me, in the past we've been assured just as strenuously that channels were coming this or that particular uplink only to be told, when they didn't show up, that something "changed at the last minute". I don't think that's likely today (for a variety of reasons) but it's far from a "done deal".

I heard the tech that was supposed to throw the switch for the new HD called in sick today :)

First Retailer told me receiving 129 is problematic in Western NY as the 129 satellite is too low in the sky at 22 degrees, (WTF its only 10 degrees West of 119, if I really couldn't receive 129 because of a low look angle I wouldn't be able to get 119 or 110 either, WHAT A TOOL).
John

Not true. Just because you get 110 and 119 doesn't mean you can get 129. Here in NE Pennsylvania 110 is at an elevation of 31 deg. and 119 is 25 degrees but I can't get 129 (too low)

I still don't understand how/why Dish can charge you for a service call when they're adding channels to a package you're already paying for.

Update: Just called Dish Network about my lack of new HD channels. Tech is coming out sunday to add 129 feed free of charge. No biggy. (sounds like everyone is getting a different story)

Last edited:
Just got off the phone. Dish Tech will be here tomorrow, to replace my Dish 500 ( 110/119 ) with a Dish 1000. ( 100/119/129 ) If for some reason they have issues getting the 129 signal, Eastern Arc is the next option. Since I have the service plan, it'll cost me $15 for the Tech visit. Luckily for me, my Dish 500 is on the side of the house, with all the snow we're getting in Mass today. Tech shouldn't have a problem.

For some reason? 95% of the reason is from something blocking it like a tree. I suggest you just walk out and pick up that 129 yourself... set the 61.5 to it, its rather simple just change the dish azmuth and elevation.... also go out and look at your 500, imagin that 129 just 10degree's to the right and about 8degree's lower to give you some idea if something will be in the way.

You're an installer?

There is more to it than just not wanting to turn it on. DISH must pay EXTRA to broadcast the HD channel.

You know damn well that ESPN would rather DISH and you be paying a lot more to watch their precious ESPNU in awesome HD glory!

Just cause I'm an installer doesn't mean anything.. and as someone else put it ESPN should be begging Dish to swing that extra bandwidth for ESPNU HD since just like the other guy said.. I'd skip on past it since its not in HD... I hardly EVER watch a SD channel anymore.

Only other channel I want besides ESPNU in HD is AMC and I hope to hell that comes soon!!

Big time lurker, first time poster.

Just got off the phone with dish after about an hour of back and forth. I'm ending up coming out of pocket 64 bucks in order to get 129 or EA.

I'm at 110/119/61.5 now with what I believe is two 500's (Ones, a dual, but can't see the upper roof one duer to the snow) that were already on the house when i moved in less then a year ago.

I was told by the rep on the phone that in order to get the new HD channels I would have to upgrade to a new dish and it would cost me (forget the exact quote but it was not pretty). I told him that when I got the initial installation I asked the tech why I was not getting a newer style dish the tech told me that having two is better and should stick with what I had (I felt it was shady when he told me but I knew zero about dish stuff and just relented), after I told him that, the rep on the phone spent the next hour on and off of hold with me till he told me that best they could do is sell me a dish at half price ($49) and that in install would be $15 (DHPP). I agreed and I am setup for install on sat morning.

I'm not sure if I got screwed or not (I'm sure I got screwed by the tech on the initial installation), but the guy on the phone seemd to genuinely working hard to get me what I wanted (or is a good actor) so I'm ok with it.

I do have a question though, he told me about issues, specifically in Pennsylvania, about getting a good singal for what I need (129 or EA I assume). He then told me that the tech would either install either 300 series dish (I think that is what he said) or a 1000.2 depending on what would work best for me. Now, does anyone know if that is the case about the signal in PA and also should I insist on a specific dish (300 or 1000.2) regardless.

Any other suggestions would be awesome too, total newb here!

Update: Just called Dish Network about my lack of new HD channels. Tech is coming out sunday to add 129 feed free of charge. No biggy. (sounds like everyone is getting a different story)

I think your bill will have a $15 charge on it next month..... (Assuming you have the $6 Service Plan)

For some reason? 95% of the reason is from something blocking it like a tree. I suggest you just walk out and pick up that 129 yourself... set the 61.5 to it, its rather simple just change the dish azmuth and elevation.... also go out and look at your 500, imagin that 129 just 10degree's to the right and about 8degree's lower to give you some idea if something will be in the way.

I think I should be good. My Dish 500 now shoots over a tree in my backyard. No issues now or in the Summer. 129 should be just right of the tree. We'll see. Let's hope the Tech does his pre-work, before ripping down my Dish 500.

I think your bill will have a $15 charge on it next month..... (Assuming you have the $6 Service Plan)

I'm getting the $15 charge. Was going to fight it, but I can live with $15 one time fee. I don't think it's right in this case, but don't feel like fighting this one. If the tech is here for awhile, I usually throw them a $10 or $20. ( at least that'll buy him lunch or a decent dinner )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)