CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

Well, I think it would be crazy to cancel on principle. If they offer you a deal for 12 months, just take it and cancel afterwards.

This thing is going away. I think everyone knew it would end eventually. We're talking about Dish here. They are just trying to piss off everyone in 2010, so they can hit rock bottom. It's all part of Charlie's master plan. Get rid of the Bob's and the value customers.

u guys make it sound like this package was "too good to be true" and dish finally just realized it was and is trying to make up for it. At least they're trying to make up for it cuz they're not just dropping you on your ass and saying "too bad". if it was me i'd take the offer cuz i sure wouldn't mind $15 off the bill every month ha.:cool:

mx023,

Dish has to be careful as the very person who they dropped on their ass may be the judge that hear the class action suit against them.

I don't have Dish however after reading all this I must ask one question. Is everyone getting an early cancellation fee from them like they get from the consumer? That was a retorical question by the way. Committment contracts, cancellation fees, and charging for channels that are "free" like C-span, NASA, and some of the internationals is why I will never subscribe to Dish or Direct. I think that it is time for a satellite viewers bill of rights as the company seems to me to be going the way of the airlines in the way that a customer is being treated. Have a great day!

I am here till Absolute goes dark then I'm gone.

I don't do premium channels so 3 months free HBO/SHO/STARZ etc etc etc means nothing to me. And I doubt they will give me discounts that would come close to 30 bucks a month for all the HD I'm getting now.

Nothing great last 4-ever :eek:

On a larger look we should all wonder how this fits into the
bigger picture of tv:(

E once was the value leader but no more, in many ways. If all these changes stick fees, cancel packages basically stick it to the customer it might drive up prices in the whole industry:(

Honestly its best if E is crushed by bleeding red ink, sub loss, and all the rest.......

otherwise costs rise for everyone.

E may have well decided it can happily make lots more money while shrinking its sub base. you know that beancounter graph of max profit.

E will likely still tout growth while giving it lip service at best.

Sub count may take a back seat to pure profit. because its evident charlie doesnt care about holding onto existing subs and the a new sub cost of 700 to 800 bucks each you would think keeping existing subs would be his primary goal........

today sky reports said analysts still give E a stock buy because although subs lost profit is up....

think of this...

sub losses effect dealers residuals, fewer new subs are are less installs, less costs for new installs, less tech support for new subs.

the dealers should be up in arms theres no good news for them in this:( thats a shame they are a hard working group who are going to lose money so E can get better profits while getting smaller.

Incidently my competitor GBC has been doing this for awhile now, i am happily picking up their departing customers:) who are leaving over the new hourly rate 300 bucks. where they once had 6 techs in pennsylvania they now have just one guy covering the whole state....

and GBC is hurting bad profits initially went up then the company went near bankrupt.

In a similiar way E will maximise profit but then tank as word of mouth bites them back.

charlie must be clueless:(

Update: I got an email last night after I went to bed from my contact at DISH Network. And it unfortunately IS DISH Network calling. :(
Well that ends my Denial phase.
I'm still Angry.
But I'm ready to start Bargaining
I'll probably be Depressed every time I see a Sat TV bill for quite some time.
But eventually I'll grow to Accept the inevitable.

So what are our Dish options? IOW what exactly is Dish offering HD Absolute Subs as an incentive to stay with Dish? Let's start sharing what Dish is offering, so those that decide to stay can get the best deal. It will probably be different strokes for different folks. But at least it would be nice to know what is potentially on the table. For example, is Dish offering some variant of an HD only package or Free RSNs, or free Premiums or Locals Only etc.

And while we're at it, what DirecTV package offers the most HD with the least SD junk at a reasonable cost?

Talon Dancer

Well that ends my Denial phase.
I'm still Angry.
But I'm ready to start Bargaining
I'll probably be Depressed every time I see a Sat TV bill for quite some time.
But eventually I'll grow to Accept the inevitable.

So what are our Dish options? IOW what exactly is Dish offering HD Absolute Subs as an incentive to stay with Dish? Let's start sharing what Dish is offering, so those that decide to stay can get the best deal. It will probably be different strokes for different folks. But at least it would be nice to know what is potentially on the table. For example, is Dish offering some variant of an HD only package or Free RSNs, or free Premiums or Locals Only etc.

And while we're at it, what DirecTV package offers the most HD with the least SD junk at a reasonable cost?

Talon Dancer

They offered me the 200, HD for Life, for 12 mos @ $39.95 with Platinum for 6 mos included. I asked about the 120 plus, same deal for $29.95.

Don't have time now to check everything out but took a quick look at D* and Comcast and the Dish deal is better. Will probably have to stick until the College Football season is over, then I can chuck it. I can always just take ConCast during the season for a few months. I can well live with my OTA and 2 HTPC PVRs. Losing my internet service would be much more critical.

everyone effected would do the industry a favor by churning elsewhere.

THINK DISHSTORE! Where claude is now a D DEALER:)

His timing was awesome!

Well...IMO its about time. We subs with Top packages have been having price increases ...whereas some subs r locked in on old packages & its price....thereby making us pay more. Thank god dish decided to remove these types of packages. Yes...some subs will go....but atleast now everyone will pay for what they receive.

I know...nobody gets happy with price increase...specially this times......but....reality have to be faced by everyone.

Well...IMO its about time. We subs with Top packages have been having price increases ...whereas some subs r locked in on old packages & its price....thereby making us pay more. Thank god dish decided to remove these types of packages. Yes...some subs will go....but atleast now everyone will pay for what they receive.

I know...nobody gets happy with price increase...specially this times......but....reality have to be faced by everyone.

The problem is Hollywood never faces reality. You kill a snake by chopping off it's head.

Think of it this way. Dish pays the providers based on the number of subs. If there are subs who cost more than they generate, it only makes sense to get rid of them. For every below-cost sub they lose, they actually gain money back to the bottom line. Sub count is only a marketing point anyway. The average shareholder cares not for the sub count but for the dividend. It used to be that those to numbers were directly proportional, but that apparently doesn't hold true anymore.

The oddity this year is the things that have changed and not for the better to the subscribers.

Raising sub cost + raising equipment fees + charging fees for things you didn't before loses the high end subs that have a lot of equipment and tend to the big packages

And then, doing away with HD Absolute which gets rid of those that are getting the only real bargain left in Dish's lineup.

So it appears that the ideal customer in their eyes is the middle. Not much equipment, never calls them with issues, has middle of the road subscriptions. Kind of like the trailer park of sat tv... :)

I always thought the old adage was "something is better than nothing".

Charlie must be smarter than me because apparently he feels the opposite is true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts