CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

I never got to see Mediacomm's HD since when I wanted to upgrade to it, they had like 5 channels or some such for $10/month extra for the box. I got a Dish (811???) instead.

right now, dish is offering new customers $15 off for a year... is the "absolute ending" deal an additional $15 off? I really have my doubts about that. It seems, if the reported deals are accurate, that we are being offered the same deal as new subs, just no contract, and maybe the 6 months free platinum. What a rip.

any confirmation yet on what the official offer is?

Top 120 HD Free with one receiver is 39.99 a month with locals. My one receiver is a 722K with OTA module. It feeds both my HDTV's. The only channel I am lacking is Bravo (I like Top Chef)... But, they put them in HD on Dish on Demand a week later, so that's cool.

I doubt many, if any of you will actually cancel. About the only person I believe will follow through would be Digi, and if they offer him a good deal, I would imagine he will stick around for 12 more months too.

yep.. that show is the one thing that would get me killed by the wife if we lost it.. Bravo is the only channel we'd really miss if we took the lowest package... how does the DoD work? (I've never tried it).

I took a quick look at the D* packages.. their bottom tier works better for me than the E* bottom tier.. altho its more expensive. Also was not clear on how their DVR worked.. we use a single 622 to feed 2 rooms (1HD+1SD) in dual-mode. Couldn't tell if I'd need 2 boxes from D*. Got to do some more research in prep for deciding what to do when I get the call.

Last edited:
all I can say is I am glad I have only been paying them since December:angel:
ok for them to rip people off, but when the shoe is on the other foot they and many here do not like it.

poor Billionaires.....feel real sorry for them

I don't really buy that Absolute subscribers are preventing E* from negotiating new carriage deals or carriage renewals. There just can't be that many of us. Every company has customers on grandfathered offerings...and these grandfathered customers are always factored into the negotiations. Generally those customers are fine on what they have, as long as no customers are allowed to continue to enroll into the program in question.

If if is true that Absolute customers are going to have to change plans, than I think that TurboHD and Dish America HD customers are going to have to change plans, too.

E* wants us off these plans for some reason other than Disney, etc...

Based on reading a lot about this issue. It is either reduce some channels out of Absolute to comply with the new contracts, or do away with it altogether.

Either way, Absolute HD customers will be ticked off.
or jack up prices so obscenely that the programmers are happy with the package.... by which point most customers would switch to an alternative package anyways since the value proposition wasn't there.

really just leaves you with canceling as the easiest way out. As soon as the package got put in grandfathered mode, there was basically a guaranteed expiration date that they just hadn't announced yet.

I don't really buy that Absolute subscribers are preventing E* from negotiating new carriage deals or carriage renewals. There just can't be that many of us. Every company has customers on grandfathered offerings...and these grandfathered customers are always factored into the negotiations. Generally those customers are fine on what they have, as long as no customers are allowed to continue to enroll into the program in question.

If if is true that Absolute customers are going to have to change plans, than I think that TurboHD and Dish America HD customers are going to have to change plans, too.

This rings true.....

I don't really buy that Absolute subscribers are preventing E* from negotiating new carriage deals or carriage renewals.
When Disney/ABC/ESPN is involved, I do believe it. Do we know it's Disney ? Nope... Who thinks that it's not though ? Remember, Disney/ABC/ESPN is the one who forces all providers to carry many of their channels in the *lowest* packages they offer (not including the 'lifeline' type packages).

We know E* wasn't paying for the 4 Disney channels for HD-only subs that were removed because they didn't add the SD version to any of the HD packages, to the best of my knowledge, after the HD versions were taken away by Disney. Those subs don't get the SD version because E* wasn't paying anything for those subs at all to Disney. If they've since added the SD versions, I'm wrong, but all I've heard is that they don't have them. If E* was doing the same for other providers that simply bundled their HD versions with the SD versions, then E* was making out like a bandit. Maybe E* wasn't paying for any of the HD channels where there wasn't an SD equivalent also included in the package. I don't know if that's the case, but consider it. How many channels was that. If this was the case, E* was raking in cash for programming they paid nothing for. That's a deal, but seems pretty sleazy to me. I can understand why providers would want those packages terminated if E* doesn't want to pay for the programming or has abused the relationship. I have no firsthand knowledge and this is all speculation of course, but something to think about.

When Disney/ABC/ESPN is involved, I do believe it. Do we know it's Disney ? Nope... Who thinks that it's not though ? Remember, Disney/ABC/ESPN is the one who forces all providers to carry many of their channels in the *lowest* packages they offer (not including the 'lifeline' type packages).

I don't agree w/ either of you on the ABC/Disney has turned into the :dev when it comes to pricing now.

While I agree Disney is the devil, this is all speculation at this point as to why Absolute is going away.

It's possible that programmer demands are somewhat behind this, I think there is more to it, and DISH also has its own motives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)