CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

Can someone who received the call PM me the call back number? I am actually planning to switch to another plan so I can get AMC HD (The Walking Dead), and NFL Redzone. So if I am gonna switch I would like this discount.

Can someone who received the call PM me the call back number? I am actually planning to switch to another plan so I can get AMC HD (The Walking Dead), and NFL Redzone. So if I am gonna switch I would like this discount.

It's just the corporate number - 303-723-1000. Just tell the operator you want the executive resolution department and they will transfer you. The original callback number they gave us just goes to Dish's regular CSRs now and you won't get anywhere with them. That's why I called the home office. I don't know why they wouldn't give the same offer to anyone with Absolute. Just be prepared for the 12 month price increase of $15.

If you were going to switch anyway, then go for the discount. But be aware that the termination of Absolute is at this point hearsay...

While this is NOT official I am hearing that two of the programmers are forcing them to remove channels from the package as part of their contract renewal and DISH does not have contracts with others to replace the channels being removed.

If I had this package I wouldn't be upset it was going away, But I would smile knowing that for thepast few years I had the best deal in television anywhere, and that it truely was!

This is why things like NetFlix Streaming and Hulu TV are going to keep gaining. People are sick of the content providor and bundled delivery companies working up such contracts that takes choice away from customers. It shows that content providors relaize they need to use some of their content to subsidize other less desirable content. I have not watched a SD channel in probably 3 years now and have no intention of watching SD in the future. I know more and more pople that are going with either just Hulu and/or Netflix or those and maybe basic cable to get local stations. The only thing that keeps me with Dish currenlty is my AbsoluteHD, I feel the price for what I get is fair. If I am going to pay more then Uverse Triple play it will be, at least then weather fade issues go away!

My word, such whining! You had a good deal for a long time. One that was made better by the addition of channels recently, even.

I used to be Absolute. Eventually, I got tired of missing the Daily Show and switched to AT100. 2 months later, Dish added Comedy Central to the pack when I thought no other channels would be added. Since then, you have got adds like Epix, Indie, and Retro WITH NO PRICE INCREASE. I would not be surprised if, with some upcoming bump in programming costs, Dish went to losing money on Absolute. Remember, the 3 ESPN channel that come with Absolute probably cost $5-$6 BY THEMSELVES. Epix is probably a few bucks (and probably had to go into Absolute due to negotiations with Epix). All and all, programming costs alone are likely $16-$20 at least. Add to that overhead, including a share of satellite and uplink cost, equipment costs, plus billing costs and you probably get pretty close to $30. You guys had a good run with a great pack, but it could not last for ever. Live with it.

You still want HD only at the same price? Switch to the pack I went to: Dish America.

I am more than willing to pay for the additional packages I woudl be fone with 5-10 more, but switching to the AT200 adds more like 20-25 more.

And they hardly offer all the programming available on satellite or cable.

And the HD is poor, if at all. So that's why I don't get the people who think those are real alternatives. Well I do...they are kidding themselves...especially if they have HD tvs.

And the HD is poor, if at all. So that's why I don't get the people who think those are real alternatives. Well I do...they are kidding themselves...especially if they have HD tvs.

I have a HTPC hooked up (47" 1080p LCD) and have played with Hulu "HD" (480p)

Is it as good as a channel I'd get on Dish? Not at all.

Is it "good enough" for the cases where I'd have to pay $20/month ($240/year) more for a channel not in my package for 1 show I'd want to watch.. for me, yes.

EDIT: math correction

Last edited:
If you research the true number, when it relates to NON computer monitor consumption, it's a myth.

How would they know how it relates to a non computer monitor when I run it through my pc to my 42" plasma?

And they hardly offer all the programming available on satellite or cable.

You can watch any original shows on USA, TNT, FX and more and the PQ is very good. They may not offer all, but they offer some of the most popular shows.

I didn't have FX for the last 2 years (with Absolute) so I watched Rescue Me from the FX Website and the quality and streams have been perfect.

The main thing you can't get on the net now is sports. If it weren't for sports the cable and satellite customer ranks would be greatly thinned (I know I'd be among the missing).

I have to gather the previous 3 posts are from those who haven't tried the online streaming or the comments wouldn't be so misinformed.

Ok, so you HULU, Netflix guys. For example, Sons of Anarchy premier next month on FX...must see tv. When you will you be able to watch it.?? An honest question! Obviously not when I do.

Just FYI, I verified it with the DISH PR office who verified the calls were indeed real.
Which begs the question...

Why haven't more DishHD Absolute subs (like me) received a call by now? :confused:

Not that I'm complaining. I'll be glad to stay a DishHD Absolute sub for as long as possible:)

Talon Dancer

Why haven't more DishHD Absolute subs (like me) received a call by now? :confused:

Not that I'm complaining. I'll be glad to stay a DishHD Absolute sub for as long as possible:)

Talon Dancer

The explanation I was given has already been stated - it was supposedly by account activity, payment options and payment history. You can take from that what you want - it could be that anyone with add-ons that increase their monthly rate or someone that does a lot of PPV and is already paying more they're happy with . If someone has payment problems and looks like they may be a loss, why would you try to get them to a higher bill? My opinion is they didn't get the response they wanted at first and cut it off. Their original callback number went to Denver, and a week later it was routed to the regular CSRs. Hell, they could have even seen some of the negative feedback here and decided they didn't want the bad PR. They're in a precarious position since anyone with Absolute is out of contract now and free to leave. Who knows for sure?

They did stand behind their original offer. I liked the package and the price, but wanted RSN's, so the timing just before the college football season was my soft spot. For some that would like to change and get a good deal, it's understandable they'd want an offer and I hope they get it. I'm curious if anyone has called in to see if they can get the deal even if they didn't get a call.

They apparently aren't going to do anything right now, so I don't know why anyone that doesn't want to change cares. At some point they won't be able to live with the price or have contract problems that make it impossible to continue. Is anyone deluded enough to think it will last forever?

not all

The explanation I was given has already been stated - it was supposedly by account activity, payment options and payment history. You can take from that what you want - it could be that anyone with add-ons that increase their monthly rate or someone that does a lot of PPV and is already paying more they're happy with . If someone has payment problems and looks like they may be a loss, why would you try to get them to a higher bill? My opinion is they didn't get the response they wanted at first and cut it off. Their original callback number went to Denver, and a week later it was routed to the regular CSRs. Hell, they could have even seen some of the negative feedback here and decided they didn't want the bad PR. They're in a precarious position since anyone with Absolute is out of contract now and free to leave. Who knows for sure?

They did stand behind their original offer. I liked the package and the price, but wanted RSN's, so the timing just before the college football season was my soft spot. For some that would like to change and get a good deal, it's understandable they'd want an offer and I hope they get it. I'm curious if anyone has called in to see if they can get the deal even if they didn't get a call.

They apparently aren't going to do anything right now, so I don't know why anyone that doesn't want to change cares. At some point they won't be able to live with the price or have contract problems that make it impossible to continue. Is anyone deluded enough to think it will last forever?

I'm on Absolute and I'm also under contract. I traded out a 622 w/ a broken HDMI for a 722k w/OTA mod just by going into contract for 2 yr. That will end in Feb. Haven't been called yet but I do have HBO, Sho & Starz.

Talon Dancer
And I think it REALLY begs the question: "Will ALL Absolute subs be FORCED to switch to another package?" The title of this thread (and "CONFIRMED" by Scott) is that E* is "Discontinuing Absolute HD Package".

I don't think we really know the answer to that. The OP has stated that the CEO office has said that E* should not have told anyone that they HAVE to leave Absolute, but I've not been left with a feeling either way as to the true meaning of that conversation.

Seems that it could mean that they're going to force us off at some point, but reps shouldn't be telling us that yet, or could mean that reps shouldn't be telling customers they HAVE to switch, when the goal was merely to provide an incentive to get us to voluntarily switch, but we can stay on AbHD if we want to...

You decide :)

The CONFIRMED part of the title, was Scott confirming that it was actually DISH calling Absolute subs offering deals. WE made the assumption that the package was going away because some CSR told the OP that.

The explanation I was given has already been stated - it was supposedly by account activity, payment options and payment history. You can take from that what you want - it could be that anyone with add-ons that increase their monthly rate or someone that does a lot of PPV and is already paying more they're happy with.
I'm on auto-pay and have been for almost two years (?). In the many years we've been with Dish, we've only subscribed to a "premium" channel (Starz, I believe) for less than a year and dropped it. We did start with their lowest tier years ago, but quickly bumped up to the next level. After a while, we had bumped up to the next higher (never up to AEP). We've had Absolute for a number of years now and as for PPVs, I think we've paid for 2-3 over the entire time we've had Dish. Today, it should appear to Dish that we're at a money-saving level.
They're in a precarious position since anyone with Absolute is out of contract now and free to leave.
Given that we also pay ~$30-35 per month (Absolute or Absolute with locals), if we (Absolute customers) left, it wouldn't be a big loss.

At this point though, it's questionable how much the networks have tried to influence the removal of this package. The only consolation may be if the number of Absolute customers is "low" or low enough.

At this point though, it's questionable how much the networks have tried to influence the removal of this package. The only consolation may be if the number of Absolute customers is "low" or low enough.

When I called and made the switch the CSR told me that there were about 8,000 people that have Absolute.

When I called and made the switch the CSR told me that there were about 8,000 people that have Absolute.

If that's the case, it should be good news for those that want to stick with it because it's a drop in the bucket for them or the networks. The smartest thing they can do is let attrition take care of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts