Status
Please reply by conversation.

53jimc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Roebuck, SC
Hi All. Been a while.
I now have an internet connection. I do not have, nor want whole home. I just want to connect one HR23 600 to the internet via an ethernet cable.
I tried, but get "Result Code 86-78"
I did reset the modem.
I did go to reset defaults and tried to connect again.
I did do the red reset button on the receiver.

I am running from the modem through a switch (router, 16 port switch, whatever it's called)
I have one cable from the switch to my wireless router, everything else that runs on wireless is fine.
I do have:
IP address
Subnet Mask
MAC address
link-local

I do not have default gateway
DNS

I shouldn't need DECA, should I?

I did search for the code, couldn't find anything here or on google search for that code.

Any help is appreciated.

Is your HR23 connected to the router or just to the switch? It needs to be connected to the router...

look at your IP, I bet it is 169.x.x.x if so it means your RX did not pull an IP from the router. mine would do the same thing, simple solution was to manually set it up with a static IP. it MUST have the gateway and DNS or it won't ever actually see the internet.

BTW, it should not matter if it is to the switch or router so long as the switch is connected to the router and working.

Reading the original post, it looked like the switch was connected to the modem and then the router to the switch but the HR23 was connected to the switch not the router so might not be getting the IP from the router...

Yes. Modem to router to switch to HR23 (assuming you need the switch at all...)

look at your IP, I bet it is 169.x.x.x if so it means your RX did not pull an IP from the router. mine would do the same thing, simple solution was to manually set it up with a static IP. it MUST have the gateway and DNS or it won't ever actually see the internet.

BTW, it should not matter if it is to the switch or router so long as the switch is connected to the router and working.
Thanks for all the replies.

Ok ,so I have a cat 5 from the router(the box the cable company owns) to a 16 port switch.
From the switch I have a cat 5 to my wireless router. All devices working off the wireless are fine.

I have another cat5 from the 16 port switch to the receiver. the message says I'm connected to the network, but not to the Internet.

I did try to connect my PC to the cat 5 that goes to the receiver ( turned off PC wireless first ) and I couldn't connect to the Internet with the PC either, so it's not a Directv or receiver thing.

I guess I could connect the cat 5 to my wireless router (it has several ports) and try that, but that's a pita. (Have to drill another hole)

Sheesh, I need to learn more about this stuff. I know about a year ago I had no problems at all with this arrangement. Oh well.

Again, thank you all for your replies.

That's the wrong way round. It has to be modem to router, then router to switch, then switch to HR23 (or HR23 direct to router). The HR23 needs to be connected to the router, either directly or via the switch, NOT to the modem via the switch. The router allocates the IP and other addresses, and the way you have it configured it won't work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)