Connecticut Locals In HD??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cmags

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
currently only able to get cbs and nbc. abc and fox are supposedly under negotiations. i have called D* several times to turn on the NY HD feeds but have been denied with numerous excuses the last one stating fcc regulations. anyway around this or advise to csr to get the ny feeds turned on. still dont understand why i get sv ny feeds in SD but they wont turn on the HD feed? getting very frustrated not having locals in hd and hate to give cablevision/dolans my money(basically the same price) so i am holding on to D* but not much longer.

currently only able to get cbs and nbc. abc and fox are supposedly under negotiations. i have called D* several times to turn on the NY HD feeds but have been denied with numerous excuses the last one stating fcc regulations. anyway around this or advise to csr to get the ny feeds turned on. still dont understand why i get sv ny feeds in SD but they wont turn on the HD feed? getting very frustrated not having locals in hd and hate to give cablevision/dolans my money(basically the same price) so i am holding on to D* but not much longer.

Where are you in CT? Isn't ota an option?

in new haven county. can only get abc affiliate without a large antenna on the roof

in new haven county. can only get abc affiliate without a large antenna on the roof

It does depend on where you are. I am in Cheshire and get all of the locals with no problems. I am using a Channel Master 4228 with no amplifier.

Send an email to customer support thru their web site and ask about a waiver since you cannot get local abc and fox via satellite. You might be surprised by the result - I was!

Send an email to customer support thru their web site and ask about a waiver since you cannot get local abc and fox via satellite. You might be surprised by the result - I was!

D's support or the channel affiliates? I've been shot down many times. waivers can take up to 45 days right. what did you do to get the feeds?

D's support or the channel affiliates? I've been shot down many times. waivers can take up to 45 days right. what did you do to get the feeds?

First I emalied the local Fox affiliate and asked why they were not allowing D* access to their HD signal. After getting a bs answer from them, I emailed D* with the local affiliate's response. D* responded with an offer to process a waiver if I requested it. I requested a waiver and had the NY HD feeds in two days. I don't know if this had any bearing on the wavier decision, but where I am in CT the NYC locals are considered significantly viewed.

i already get the SD versions of the ny locals as significantly viewed, and that did not help. i put in for waivers twice and have been denied. i just dont get why i am able to get the sd version and not the hd especially since D* does not offer al the ct locals yet.

i already get the SD versions of the ny locals as significantly viewed, and that did not help. i put in for waivers twice and have been denied. i just dont get why i am able to get the sd version and not the hd especially since D* does not offer al the ct locals yet.

I had the exact same experience. I really only need FOX HD but was denied. I wonder why Wolcott would be granted? Congratulations on your incredible luck.

Waivers are granted and / or denied by local affiliates, not by any DBS provider; if you are denied; find out the exact affiliate denying and ask them why? In some cases you may not even be getting denied by the your local affiliate, but one close by that you may not suspect. Get DETAILS of your denial and ask questions of those affiliates.

I had the exact same experience. I really only need FOX HD but was denied. I wonder why Wolcott would be granted? Congratulations on your incredible luck.

Thanks. I think somebody messed up, but who am I to complain. I'm like you, the only HD local I could not get OTA was Fox, so if they had just added Fox I would have been happy.

once again tried to get ny locals in HD turned on. csr stated shewould have to submit waviers again(4th time). a few days go by and i receive a call from D* with the new # and special pin to call. i call back with hopes to get some answers. i got a big fat NOTHING. sorry those are considered distants. i stated no they are not! they are considered significantly viewed. i receive the sd version, there is no fcc law stating why i cannot receive them. you only offer2 locals in my area in hd, guess what D* offer? NOTHING! no free install of the 5lnb, no money off install, no hbo, no showtime, NOTHING. i am pissed now but was very polite over the phone. cablevision will be getting a call tomorrow for hd-dvr, locals in hd, rsn in hd for no more then i pay now. plus they will buy out my commitment. at least you know up front cable will screw you, unlike D who will stab you in the back.

Offered nthing, because likely it is not up to them what LIL, or DNS you are authorized to get; they are just passing along to you what they are told to do by the powers that be; which is not them.

Last edited:
Charper1 is right, but I certainly side with you that not being able to get SV HD when you have access to SD is insane. :(

Then again, so is going with the antichrist (cablevision) :D

yes cablevision is the antichrist, but the least D* could of offered me something to keep me as a customer. hbo for a month, money off install, something. it is just anarchy that they can give you sd version but not hd there is just no reason and the csr or managers dont have a answer either.

yes cablevision is the antichrist, but the least D* could of offered me something to keep me as a customer. hbo for a month, money off install, something. it is just anarchy that they can give you sd version but not hd there is just no reason and the csr or managers dont have a answer either.

Again, I don't understand; what is it you think DirecTV is doing wrong to you that would lead to offering you anything; why do you expect them to? Its not "THEM" that is denying you any channels. So why should they pay or give away something for something they can't control? Now if you call about losing TNT during Sunday's NFL, then you have a valid complaint.

Should I, living in Phoenix DMA, knowingly call and complain that I can't get the Tucson or Vegas DMA channels and then complain for them to give me something free just because by rule/law they can't give me a channel (including if an affiliate is denying you waivers or not receiving SV) ?

It makes ZERO sense for them to do that and it will set a bad & incorrect standard; thus ultimately costing them more in silly, unneeded retention costs that will eventually be passed along to all users; then we will be bitching about a price increase.

Last edited:
i will explain again. iam in connecticut. i get ct locals, along with ny locals (sd only) which are considered sv not distant. D* currently only offers ct cbs and nbc in HD. iunderstand they are in negotiations with ct abc and fo:mad:tribune). my1st complaint being i should receive the ny locals in hd because i already receive the sd version. they are considered sv not distant. there is no rule/law by the fcc stating why i am not able to receive them. even the csr or managers have no answer. my 2nd complaint being since D* does not offer all my locals in hd i should be eligible for what D* considers distants. my 3rd complaint being since i am currently unhappy with my service, D* offered me nothing to keep me as a happy customer.( not even hbo for a month which i am sure would cost them very little) D* appears to not care if they lose my business to a competitor.

i will explain again. iam in connecticut. i get ct locals, along with ny locals (sd only) which are considered sv not distant. D* currently only offers ct cbs and nbc in HD. iunderstand they are in negotiations with ct abc and fo:mad:tribune). my1st complaint being i should receive the ny locals in hd because i already receive the sd version. they are considered sv not distant. there is no rule/law by the fcc stating why i am not able to receive them.

Are you 110% sure, is everyone 110% sure, that the out of market affiliates have absolutely no say? No way to deny or approve where and how their HD broadcast is viewed?

Are you sure they aren't limiting their HD to "approved zip code areas"; to their actual DMA? If not, then maybe in fact it is then your DBS company screwing you? If so great and then I can climb on board with you wanting so much that still to me seems so much out of their hands, BUT please post all that great factual info about the DBS companies, affiliates and the SV rules and dealings, PLEASE where we can all find it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)