Connecticut Locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hancox said:
Wow, their signal must be garbage (shock).

Your description matches what I get from an inside-roof 4228 from Fairfield.

Since the 4228 is directional, getting WTNH and WCTX with the antenna pointed away from them seems pretty good to me, since I don't have to rotate the antenna.

I have a VHF only antenna on a rotator. I can definately get a lock on WTNH but its definately the weakest and most fickle. The levels vary so much during the day. I swear they adjust their power levels. At peak, its about 82-85 but can go as low as 68 even at the same pointer. That range has no pixelation but once it starts dropping in the low 60's, its doomed.

Of course this is on the HR10-250. On my Windows Media Center and H20 with the 5th Generation chip, the signal has less chance of pixelation. But no matter what, the signal varies dramatically. I barely get a hint of signal variation from WFSB, WTIC, and WVIT (UHF only antenna - double Yagi's on rotator).

Are there any integrated antennae solutions that work with the new MPEG4 dish like the terk 42/44 that snaps onto the phase 3 dish and piggybacks the signal on the same wire?

I must same I am extremely disappointed in D* and their Hartford HD local rollout. Are there different rules for carriage of SD signals vs HD signals. They didn't have any significant problems getting all the SD locals up....

Nollchr you can piggy back the OTA signal with an existing antenna wire into your house with a sat/antenna combiner. You need one to combine and one to split in house. Keep in mind that does not work if you have the AT9 dish and MPEG4 signal coming in. I think the KA(or KU) signal from the spaceways does not play nice with the antenna signal. You will need 2 wires if you have that setup (one for OTA, one for sat).

Stay far away from Terk products. They are not very good or reliable (and expensive). Check out antennaweb.org to find out what kind of antenna you need and visit one of satguys sponsors to find a good outdoor antenna. Rules of thumb for OTA. The higher and bigger usually the better. So its a matter of how much you can stand and where you are in relation to the antennas. Also UHF and VHF are different antennas. Folks have been able to get VHF stations on UHF antennas but that is based on how far you are from the towers.

nollchr said:
Are there any integrated antennae solutions that work with the new MPEG4 dish like the terk 42/44 that snaps onto the phase 3 dish and piggybacks the signal on the same wire?

I must same I am extremely disappointed in D* and their Hartford HD local rollout. Are there different rules for carriage of SD signals vs HD signals. They didn't have any significant problems getting all the SD locals up....

Don't be disappointed in D*, be disappointed in LIN who owns WTNH, and Tribune who owns WTIC. They are the ones keeping Fox and ABC HD off of D*. D* would love to have both of them up already.

raoul5788 said:
Don't be disappointed in D*, be disappointed in LIN who owns WTNH, and Tribune who owns WTIC. They are the ones keeping Fox and ABC HD off of D*. D* would love to have both of them up already.

But aren't these the same people who let D* carry SD signal??? I don't understand why they got the SD so easily and now HD is held up!!

nollchr said:
But aren't these the same people who let D* carry SD signal??? I don't understand why they got the SD so easily and now HD is held up!!

Good question. Aren't the locals required to be carried in sd?

raoul5788 said:
Good question. Aren't the locals required to be carried in sd?
I know there are "must carry" rules for cable, I don't know how they apply to DBS. It might be that SD are the only must carry signals right now.

BTW - does anyone have contact information for WTNH and WTIC for sending complaints regarding the lack of HD availability on D*? I'd bet if they got enough complaints from local D* coustomers it might help speed up the process of signing agreements.

88isgreat said:
I know there are "must carry" rules for cable, I don't know how they apply to DBS. It might be that SD are the only must carry signals right now.

BTW - does anyone have contact information for WTNH and WTIC for sending complaints regarding the lack of HD availability on D*? I'd bet if they got enough complaints from local D* coustomers it might help speed up the process of signing agreements.

Email them here http://wtnh.com/Global/category.asp?C=1199&nav=menu29_14
Good luck, they don't care much about their viewers.

I sent a note to WTNH last week and here is the response I received from them.

"Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us. LIN Television, the owner
of
WTNH, is currently negotiating with DIRECTv in regards to WTNH's high
definition signal. We are all hoping acceptable carriage terms can be
agreed upon in the near future.

We would like to remind you that via a Best Buy, Circuit City or
Bernie's -
you can purchase an antenna for your home and receive our HD signal
free.
Perhaps not the option you were hoping to hear - but it is an option
that
several viewers are pursuing successfully.

As for being at position 10, this is what we are assigned with the
approval
of the FCC.

Thank you for your patience regarding this matter and have a nice day!"

I'm glad I have OTA so I can get my local weather "Rain".

ctwestie said:
I sent a note to WTNH last week and here is the response I received from them.

"Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us. LIN Television, the owner
of

We would like to remind you that via a Best Buy, Circuit City or
Bernie's -
you can purchase an antenna for your home and receive our HD signal
free.
Perhaps not the option you were hoping to hear - but it is an option
that
several viewers are pursuing successfully.

As for being at position 10, this is what we are assigned with the
approval
of the FCC.

Thank you for your patience regarding this matter and have a nice day!"

I'm glad I have OTA so I can get my local weather "Rain".

That's the same Bullsh!t letter they send to everyone that writes to them.

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us. LIN Television, the owner of

Thank you for your patience regarding this matter and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Deanna Banas Kluk
Program Manager

Sound familiar?

Brewer4 said:
Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us. LIN Television, the owner of

Thank you for your patience regarding this matter and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Deanna Banas Kluk
Program Manager

Sound familiar?

Same here -- I don't even think shes real just an auto responce bot :)

All I watch is LOST and well I'll watch it via iTunes --

Not that I am surprised, but here is the response I received from WTIC - Fox 61

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:40 AM
Subject: RE: Fox 61 Programming website e-mail

> Sorry I can't tell you when DirecTV will decide to carry our digital
> station. Obviously we wish they were willing to carry us now.
> Unfortunately we can't force them to carry us.
>
> Waivers are for people who can't get an analog signal. Since DirecTV
> carries our analog station, you are not eligible for a waiver. You can
> read much more about the law that governs satellite TV on fox61.com in the
> about Fox 61 section under FAQ.
>
> The options that are open for you are:
> * watch our digital station free over the air. Here's a web sit that
> will
> help
>
> http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
>
> * keep the pressure on DirecTV. You would think they would be influenced
> by the wishes of people who send them money each month.
>
> * Check out you local cable system. Most in Connecticut carry our
> digital
> station now.
>
> Thanks for watching.

How's that for throwing D* under the bus!

my reply to that e-mail would be:

"So are you saying that everything is in place on your end for DirecTV to broadcast your station, but they are just choosing not to? Nothing is left to be negotiated?"

They make it sound like DirecTV just hasn't gotten around to it. I would forward that to DirecTV for a response. Thanks for posting.

That reply from the affiliate is such BS and they know it. I love that cable solution at the bottom; I wonder who owns that affiliate? I love Jake's questions on the above post!

jake14mw said:
my reply to that e-mail would be:

"So are you saying that everything is in place on your end for DirecTV to broadcast your station, but they are just choosing not to? Nothing is left to be negotiated?"

They make it sound like DirecTV just hasn't gotten around to it. I would forward that to DirecTV for a response. Thanks for posting.

Jake - thanks for the question. I sent it to the guy at WTIC.
Do you have an email address for someone at D* or should I just go to the Contact Us section of their website?

88isgreat said:
Jake - thanks for the question. I sent it to the guy at WTIC.
Do you have an email address for someone at D* or should I just go to the Contact Us section of their website?

They sent me the same Bullsh!t response to my email, making it sound as if it was the fault of D* that WTIC hd isn't on yet.

Received this reply from D*:

Thanks for writing. Currently we carry CBS and NBC in your area in HD. We're in discussions with the local ABC and FOX stations' owners and hope to add these channels in the near future.

As you live in an area where we do not yet provide your local FOX in HD, we may be able to provide you with the HD network affiliate from New York. If you're interested in getting this non-local network, please know that federal law -- not DIRECTV - sets strict guidelines for receiving non-local broadcast channels.

If you'd like to get HD New York network, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-531-5000 and ask the Customer Service Representative submit the waiver request for you.

Visit our web site at DIRECTV.com/Local for more information.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

Charlee
DIRECTV Customer Service

I did respond and ask for a waiver for the HD signal, but don't know if I'll get it. As my father always said - ask and you shall receive, shut up and you don't get nothing'! It's strange though, we get NY Fox SD as a significantly viewed channel, but they didn't do the same for HD. Is this another cruel quirk in Federal law?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)