Connecting new TV antenna to old preamp

Satguyfan

Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
midwest
I have an old Channel Master 0064-DSB Pre Amplifier with a 300 Ohm (flat lead) input and I just bought a new Antennas Direct DB8 antenna with a 75 Ohm (coaxial) output. Is their anyway I can connect these together or do I have to buy a new Pre Amp with a 75 Ohm input? Thanks for any help.

I have an old Channel Master 0064-DSB Pre Amplifier with a 300 Ohm (flat lead) input and I just bought a new Antennas Direct DB8 antenna with a 75 Ohm (coaxial) output. Is their anyway I can connect these together or do I have to buy a new Pre Amp with a 75 Ohm input? Thanks for any help.

You can, not sure why but it would require the use of a outdoor matching transformer( Balun), but I wouldn't do it as the benefit of using the 75ohm cable just out weights the old 300 stuff.

Last edited:
Well another balun could eat 2 to 3 dB out of your antenna gain basically making your antenna no better than a DB4. If you're up for a challenge you could make your own replacement for that aluminum strip balun assembly. You would need to make a terminal for 300 ohm cable equal distance from the two 4 bays. If not using metal strips then heavy gauge wire like the antenna should be used and the wires need to be separated by a certain distance like the strips were.

I don't know your situation with what stations you are trying to receive so all of this may be unnecessary.

I think I will just bite the bullet and buy a Channel Master CM7777 Preamp. The Channel Master 0064-DSB has worked very well for me so I hate to retire it. As a matter of fact I have barely had to touch my antenna for probably ten years so I didn't even know that my preamp had a 300 Ohm input until I looked at it a few days ago. This is turning out to cost more than I had hoped but I know that in the long run it pays to do it right. You have all been very helpful. Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
I think I will just bite the bullet and buy a Channel Master CM7777 Preamp. The Channel Master 0064-DSB has worked very well for me so I hate to retire it. As a matter of fact I have barely had to touch my antenna for probably ten years so I didn't even know that my preamp had a 300 Ohm input until I looked at it a few days ago. This is turning out to cost more than I had hoped but I know that in the long run it pays to do it right. You have all been very helpful. Thanks for your replies.
Are you sure the CM7777 is the correct preamp? DB8 is a UHF antenna CM7775 is a UHF preamp CM7777 is a UHF/VHF preamp. Are you trying to pickup high VHF with the UHF antenna and need the CM7777 for that?
A Winegard AP4800 is also a UHF only amp.

Last edited:
Are you sure the CM7777 is the correct preamp? DB8 is a UHF antenna CM7775 is a UHF preamp CM7777 is a UHF/VHF preamp. Are you trying to pickup high VHF with the UHF antenna and need the CM7777 for that?
A Winegard AP4800 is also a UHF only amp.

I'm really just in the early stages of deciding on a preamp. I've read pretty positive reviews for the CM7777 but I have to do more research before I make a decision. I will only be using my DB8 with the preamp so VHF is not necessary. Is it better to not have it? Thanks for your suggestion of the Winegard AP4800 I'll have to check it out.

Last edited:
Either preamp will work well for your situation. (unless you have any close by stations within 10 or so miles) I have used both models in a fringe UHF area & both performed exactly the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)