Connecting Starband 360 On XP x64 Problems

His Self

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I'm trying to install my Starband 360 modem & software on a computer that is dual booting both Win XP Pro and Win XP x64 (64 bit XP)
Installation on the standard boot of XP Pro on a hard drive, it works fine, connection great & I'm happy with it. On the other hand when I attempt to install it to the SATA hard drive with XP x64 , I get errors stating the modem is not connected. (NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller and a 1394 Net Adapter)
Motherboard is a Foxconn AM2 C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H with a AMD dual core 4600+ processor.

Is the Starband 360 not compatible with 64 bit XP ? I have checked and have the latest 64 bit drivers for the NVIDIA networking controllers..

I am bumfuzzled as to what I'm missing on the hook up.

Thanks..

I would think the 360 software, buggy as it is, would still work on 64 bit since it works on win 2k.

Try this, turn on the modem and let it cycle 2X and stabilize, then turn on the PC, once you are booted to the 64 bit xp make sure you have no firewalls on and any wireless connections if you have them are disabled. Drop to a command prompt and do an ipconfig release and renew to see if it picks up an IP starting in 148.

You did do a separate 360 software install on both OS right?.

I've been working on the problem off & on since the first post and yes had tried the suggestions. So far best I can get with the 64 bit version of XP is everything EXCEPT Web Page Accelerator and Satellite Data Accelerator to light up and work.

All drivers are up to date and there is NO firewall, AV, or other protective software installed on it..
Still waiting on a reply from StarBand Tech Support..

Thanks for reply.

it sounds like something is blocking it on start up because of the order the programs are starting in. It is finicky and often wants to be the last thing loaded. If it loads in the very beginning of the sequence then a subsequent program loading can upset it. Why I don't know.

If you e-mail me I can send you 2 small programs called icon360. it puts 2 icons in your tray so you have a visual indication of the accellerator status and an easy way to restart it.

Some detective work is in order here to try and figure out which program is causing the trouble. I would load the icon program, restart the accel. (after booting up) and then during use see what if any action causes the icon to change. if it simply won't reset from the get go, start sutting down programs one at a time till you find the culprit.

Here are a couple of other things to try, when this happens after startup:
- Remember that McAfee security products, in particular, and all security products, in general, can cause these problems. Make sure your firewall allows all of the following processes listed especiallyNettgain.

NettGain 2000
Gilat Quality Measurement Service
GSU Service
Ibqossvc Module
Mission Control Troubleshooter
Modem Configuration MEC
RPA
SatModemHelper MFC Application
Mission Control 360
TaskBarClient
Server 360
EVREP Module
Update Framework

Make sure your virus software is not blocking Trojan Sockets, a common trojan. The accelerator process uses the same port number.

- WgwService and RPAService run as services on XP. If either service isn’t running properly, the accelerator tunnels will not operate properly. To check this, go to Start menu -> Run ... Type services.msc and click OK. In the list of services shown,
scroll down to locate first RPAService and then WgwService and double click it. Make sure the service status is Started and the startup type is Automatic. If the status is Stopped, click the Start button. If it is Started, click Stop, wait until the status is Stopped, then click Start, to restart it. See if the Mission Control icon turns green.

- If none of the tips discussed seems to help, you can try killing the Windows process for the accelerator tunnels, using the following steps:
*** Step 1 Hold down the <Control> and <Alt> keys, while you hit the <Delete> key. This will bring up a system window.

*** Step 2 Click Task Manager and then click the Processes tab.

*** Step 3 Scroll down and click to select AS_Agent.exe and then click End Process.

*** Step 4 Click the “'X” to close the window.

For Windows XP, the tunnel accelerator process service will automatically be restarted by Mission Control and, hopefully, the problem will be resolved. You can repeat this
procedure whenever the problem occurs.

For Windows 98 or ME, you will need to go to C:\Program Files\Gilat\Internet Page Accelerator and double-click
AS_Agent.exe to restart the application.

Good luck and and let us know

1Thank you sir. my email address is:

hisself@gmail.com

As I said the XP x64 bit OS has no firewalls or antivirus installed as of yet and the default XP firewall is turned off. I'm holding off on antivirus, firewalls, malware detectors, etc.. until I can get StarBand on this operating system to connect. ..

Later this evening I will reboot into the x64 bit XP OS and double check all processes. On XP x32 bit I use Sygate and after configuring for all of the StarBand software to be OK'd it ran fine, so this is same computer , but dual booting onto a second hard drive with x64 bit XP and the install of XP x64 bit fails to load the accelerators...

Thanks...

Just checked email and no email has come in , double checked spam filters, and still no sign of it..
Thanks for trying..

I've double checked my email, in in box, spam filter , trash, etc... Still no indication of an email received from you. Baffles me where it's going..

Update, this morning I finally received an answer from StarBand support which states the Model 360 is NOT compatable with the 64 Bit version of XP...

So I will be stuck with the 32 bit version of XP for now and have to hope when StarBand Nova is available that it WILL support the 64 Bit version of XP..

With both AMD and Intel slashing prices on dual core processors, more & more people will be wanting to go the XP 64 Bit route....so I would think StarBand would get their ducks in a row on this issue..

Thanks again for your time & help..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)