Connecting to 722 with wireless tethered phone for Internet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hedsic

Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Iowa
I just got Dish Network with the VIP722. I do not have an Internet connection in my home, never needed on since I just use my iPhones wireless hotspot when I need to connect to my pc to get online. There are many unsecure wireless connection I can use but am not in to stealing other peoples Internet.

Pretty much I just use the wireless tethering hotspot on my iPhone to connect wirelessly to my laptop when I need online which is rare since I am on a computer all day at work already so I rarely use my PC at home.

I was wondering if there was a way to use the wifi hotspot signal(ad hoc) from my iPhone to my 722 to rent movies? I was not informed I needed Internet to rent movies, I was with mediacom cable before and didn't need the dvr connected to a phone line or broadband so assumed it was the same.

I heard of people getting a wireless gaming adapter with their broadband wifi signal bridged to the 722, would this work to connect to the wifi signal from my phone just the same? I don't want to spend the money on the adapter If it would not work though.
(I just want to be able to rent movies. I don't want to get a phone line or dedicated Internet just for that purpose)

Last edited:
No but you can use windows Internet sharing.Go to control and set your wi-fi
Adapter as a shared network.set the share path to be sent over your Ethernet port.Hook your laptop to your receiver with a cat 5 crossover cable.now your reciever can connect through your laptop into your Internet connection

I know it sounds tough but it's quite an easy fix if you have only your phone for internet

Yes the hotspot would work with the 722, but only if you have the USB wireless adapter compatible with the receiver. I don't remember the model number but you can probably get it from online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)