Connection or tuning problem Help Please!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

minerz

Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Idaho
Hello all. Merry Christmas.
I have a Dish Network VIP 722K DVR.
I have a Magnavox 4 head Hi-Fi Stereo DVD Recorder/VCR MWR 20V6
I have a Samsung Model Code LN40B500P3FXZA 40" LCD Version SQ01.
I just upgraded to the HD 722K.
I had my Magnavox along with my surround system working perfectly before the upgrade. The cables between the Magnavox and the surround were never touched. The tech installed the new 722k and tells me after he is all done that he does not know how to connect my Magnavox to the 722K or the Samsung.
I am connected through HDMI from 722k to the Samsung.
I am wondering if the connection can be made or just exactly what I have to do to get all this stuff working again. Love the new Flat screen. Hate getting everything hooked up. Thanks to you all.

Hi Minerz, and welcome to Satelliteguys. :welcome

You didn't give quite enough information, so I will make some assumptions. Tell me if I am wrong.

I think you upgraded from a SD DISH receiver to a 722k. I'm going to work from that. You also don't say whether you are using the 722 with one or two televisions. I'll try to address both.

You are not going to be able to record high definition with that setup. The Magnavox doesn't have high def capabilities. Therefore, the best alternative is to connect the recorder's input to the composite jacks (yellow, red, white) for either TV1 or TV2. If you are using it in dual mode, connect it to the one you want to be recording off of. If you are using it in single mode, connect to TV2. That way, it will mostly record what you are watching, but if you want to record something different, you can switch the 722 over to dual mode via the front panel button and record something while watching something else.

Another alternative is to use the whole house distribution system See the diagram on page 116 of the manual. That way, you can record from either tuner of the 722, but the quality will be lower. You would connect the whole house distribution port of the 722 to the antenna input of the Magnavox and tune to the channels you have configured for the outputs of the 722. (see page 90)

edit: Oops. I missed the part about using the surround system. You tell us almost nothing about the surround system, so it is tough. My guess would be to connect the optical audio output (TOSLINK) of the 722 directly to the optical input of the surround system, if you can. Otherwise connect the red and white outputs. This is all different if the surround system can do HDMI switching. Let me know if the surround system has HDMI jacks, along with its model number and I'll take another crack at it.

Sorry I did not give you enough info.
I am just trying to be able to record from the TV to a DVD. Such as if we are watching a movie and want to throw it in the Fifth Wheel to watch when we go out prospecting. I don't need to record something differant than what we are watching. All equipment is in the same room, right next to each other.
My Surround is an older one, a Pioneer VSX-405, and it is working along with the Magnavox. I currently able to playback if I switch the Magnavox to E-1, but then I can't see the TV. All I need to know is how to hook the Magnavox to the 722k, or the Magnavox to the TV, and be able to watch what I am recording. If it is not possible, could you recomend another DVD/VCR recorder that I can put in the Magnavox's place and I will put the Magnavox in the Fifth wheel. Thanks much. I appreciate your help.

Wasn't criticizing, just needed to know more info to see what connections were available.

The pioneer 405 only has composite connectors, and only does matrix surround. If I am looking at the correct rear panel pictures, it does not have any digital audio inputs.

This makes it more difficult. You will not be able to get high definition pictures if you switch through the Pioneer. The best solution is to switch audio and video separately.

Connect the HDMI cable from the 722 to the HDMI1 input of the TV
Connect the yellow, red and white cables for TV1 from the 722 to the DVD input on the Pioneer
Connect the yellow, red and white cables from the VCR input on the Pioneer to the output on the Magnavox.
Connect the yellow, red and white cables from the VCR output on the Pioneer to the input on the Magnavox.
Connect the yellow TV output on the Pioneer to the composite input on the TV.

Usage: When watching TV, use the DVD position on the Pioneer and the HDMI1 position on the TV. When watching the Magnavox, use the composite input on the TV and the VCR position on the Pioneer.

Thanks I will give it a go, and let you know. I appreciate the information. I am about to invest in some new equipment that will go with the New Samsung, and put the other stuff out in the Fifth wheel. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts