connections....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

quminottie

Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Hey Guys,

I'm probably getting a new HD-DVR this weekend and was wondering if the following is possible.

I have a 32" LCD with 2 video inputs, 2 component inputs and 1 HDMI input. The HDMI is being used by my PS3, but the other 4 will be open.

Is it possible to connect the component AND composite so if i want to watch the HD, i can switch to the component input, but then if i watch something in SD and want to avoid the black bars, I can switch it to video.

Is this at all possible, or will something in the settings prevent this? Thanks a bunch!

Stefan.

Hey Guys,

I'm probably getting a new HD-DVR this weekend and was wondering if the following is possible.

I have a 32" LCD with 2 video inputs, 2 component inputs and 1 HDMI input. The HDMI is being used by my PS3, but the other 4 will be open.

Is it possible to connect the component AND composite so if i want to watch the HD, i can switch to the component input, but then if i watch something in SD and want to avoid the black bars, I can switch it to video.

Is this at all possible, or will something in the settings prevent this? Thanks a bunch!

Stefan.

If by composite you mean coaxial wire, then no, because the new hd dvrs don't have coaxial outputs. Besides, you would have to change the aspect ratio every time, since an sd signal would show bars on the sides on an hd display.

Yes you can, the composit, S-Video, component and HDMI outputs are all active at the same time.

Yes you can, the composit, S-Video, component and HDMI outputs are all active at the same time.

So if i'm rockin the s-video in my video 1 input, will it display a SD resolution or will it try to kick it to HD? I assume my video 1 and 2 inputs won't display anything higher then 480p.

This way i can try and avoid the black bars if i don't want them. Does this sound correct or am i seriously just reachin for hope?

So if i'm rockin the s-video in my video 1 input, will it display a SD resolution or will it try to kick it to HD? I assume my video 1 and 2 inputs won't display anything higher then 480p.

This way i can try and avoid the black bars if i don't want them. Does this sound correct or am i seriously just reachin for hope?

No, you have the right idea. The composite and s-video will output only 480i (not p) so you'll be able to control the output format (bars or not).

No, you have the right idea. The composite and s-video will output only 480i (not p) so you'll be able to control the output format (bars or not).

You sir have just become my own personal hero. Thank you very much. That just made up my mind and I'll be watchin HD in no time. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Not sure why anyone would want to do what you are doing, but it would work.. I just use the format button on the TV or the DirecTV to get rid of black bars.

Not sure why anyone would want to do what you are doing, but it would work.. I just use the format button on the TV or the DirecTV to get rid of black bars.

I get irritated at distorted images. I don't know if i'll do this or not, but wanted to make sure it was possible using the HD-DVR reciever. I'll toy around with everything before setting it in stone. Once again, just wanted to make sure it was do-able. Thanks again everyone!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)