Considering a new foray into FTA... what do I need?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I entered 97W and 103W into dishpointer and put you at Butler, MO.

Going from 97 to 103 the elevation decreases 1 degree, azimuth moves 9.5 degrees to the west and skew increases about 7 degrees.

You probably already knew all this but I just wanted to look at the numbers.

Slow small movements and you should find it.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I was able to get 91, 93, 95, 97, 99, and 101, then nothing on 103, so that makes me think the building is in the way (I've been testing all this out on my temporary mast in the yard). Tomorrow I shall move the dish to another location and see if I can get 103.

A really BIG thanks to all who helped me through this. It's been fun and educational.

Get one of the elcheapo meters,they don't tell you much but it will show when you're pointed at something.

My Personal El Cheapo Meter Graveyard since October
IMG_0156.JPG

Ok, so I've moved the dish to a location with a wide open view of the southern sky. Same situation as before. I can get everything below 101, but everything above that is a no-go. I am REALLY confused about what I'm doing wrong. I adjust the elevation of the dish, the LNB skew, and the rotation of the dish and I get nothing. Nada. Help!!

IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG

What transponder are you using for 103W?

v or h? 20000?
Yeah the rest is all the same, V 20000. I get that at 11942 and some receivers/LNBF combinations show it as 11943. The receiver should get it at 11940, but just wanted you to try that.
Makes no sense why you are not getting 103. If you are slightly lowering elevation from 101 and bumping slightly west...and you are adjusting the skew. ???

Gotta be something simple.

Hmmmm check the LO for 103W Ku. Is it set for 5150? If so that is the issue. It should be 10750.
I will have to check here later and see if when I built that list I made a mistake.
It took me a couple of hours as I built that list from scratch on the computer.

Reactions: danristheman
It would not have been as rewarding if it were too easy. :D

No doubt. I feel like I just found a needle in a haystack!

I'm going to leave it on my temporary rig for a week or so, then decide where to put it permanently. I like the idea of having it low to the ground so I can get to it easily, and when I add a rotor to it that will be helpful also. The thing is, not sure how well my landlord will like it there. The photo below is of my roof. Is this dish too big for a roof mount? It has a lot of surface area; I'd be concerned that wind would be an issue. There is a foot up there from a Hughesnet dish that might work, but the Hughesnet pole was bigger than the standard 2"

IMG_0201.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)