Considering a new foray into FTA... what do I need?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just take us along for the ride with as you set things up. It is always fun to set up a dish and get that first signal, and I been doing it since 95-96. :)

Thanks everyone for the help. I bought the Amiko receiver, the WS-6903 signal meter, and this dish/LNB combo: 36 Inch 90 cm Free To Air FTA Satellite Dish & HD LNBF | eBay

I'm excited to receive everything and set it up. "Wild feeds" here I come. :D

I'm a big fan of that dish. Proper alignment should get you all of the channels on 125W, and I've gotten it juuuust right on 103W to get the NBC's, the RT/NHK mux, and NC-1 through NC-12 feeds. Once you're familiar enough with it, a Stab HH-90 motor would pair well with it.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I've got the dish put together. Used this Youtube video for guidance:

Tomorrow I'm going to cut a piece of plywood and mount the foot, mast and wings to it, then put cinder blocks on top of it as a temporary rig.

IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG

Once I get my rig outside, is there a resource that will tell me what elevation I need for 103 at my location? Also how much offset on the LNB (if needed)?

So today I mounted my dish to a temporary outdoor rig. I hooked up the signal meter in-line with the Amiko, used the Dishpointer app to get an accurate elevation and azimuth. So far, the signal meter beeps and displays "98" all the time, regardless of where the dish is pointed, so I think I might have a dud meter?

I'm also confused on the LNB skew. There are numbers on the holster, and numbers on the LNB itself. If it says I'm supposed to rotate the LNB to 21.6, is that using the numbers on the LNB?

Needless to say, the first day didn't render any kind of signal, but it's only Day 1. Back at it tomorrow.

Some people spend their vacations at the beach, I'm spending it on FTA :)

IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG

Reactions: danristheman
I was thinking the same. Also: Yeah those cheap meters aren't good for much, but a reading of high all the time sounds like you are aiming too low and picking up terrestrial noise.

Don't mean to butt in. Look at the pickets and mortar joints in the background. He may have too much angle. Also, the lnb looks to me like it has too much angle. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts