Considering a new foray into FTA... what do I need?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Can you take a close up of the elevation setting? The dish mount looks parallel to the mast.

Sure thing

527EA29D-86BD-47BA-BBA1-26D471FACE31.jpeg
0FE9F75E-8340-4022-ACB3-B8A4067DB249.jpeg

Reactions: Horsepower
I think I’ll get the hang of it soon. It just seems a lot different than pointing and aiming the smaller Dish Network dishes I’m used to, and when I had C-Band, I had a friend who would help me point and aim that big guy and he had meters

I'm also confused on the LNB skew. There are numbers on the holster, and numbers on the LNB itself. If it says I'm supposed to rotate the LNB to 21.6, is that using the numbers on the LNB?

That seems a bit off... Looking at the dishpointer website and dropping the location at various points in KS/MO, It looks like the skew should be somewhere from 1.4 degrees westward (KS/CO border) to 15.5 degrees westward (St Louis). Elevation looks to be between 40 and 46 degrees. SatelliteGuys has your location as Missouri/Kansas, so that's my best guess.

When aiming for 103W, set your receiver to 11940 V 20000 (RT/NHK mux). This TP, at least for me, is stronger than any of the NBC transponders, and most forgiving if the skew is a bit off.

That seems a bit off... Looking at the dishpointer website and dropping the location at various points in KS/MO, It looks like the skew should be somewhere from 1.4 degrees westward (KS/CO border) to 15.5 degrees westward (St Louis). Elevation looks to be between 40 and 46 degrees. SatelliteGuys has your location as Missouri/Kansas, so that's my best guess.

When aiming for 103W, set your receiver to 11940 V 20000 (RT/NHK mux). This TP, at least for me, is stronger than any of the NBC transponders, and most forgiving if the skew is a bit off.

I’m in Ohio right now ;)

Reactions: KE4EST
Isn't elevation on one side and latitude on the other? But being in Ohio might be ok since it is farther north and quite a bit east of Kansas City.

Those dishes are excellent units, can't go wrong. I have one fixed at 125W and have no issues with the PBS 0n 12180. I have another one on a motor and it works ok even on the PBS on 87w too but not as good as 125. Not big enough for 103 weaker feeds though but gets the regular NBC network stuff ok.

Both scales indicate elevation. There is no latitude scale on the dish. The "A" scale is used if the through bolt was installed using hole "A". The other side of the bracket is the "B" scale that is used if the through-bolt was installed using hole "B".

Thanks for the close-up photos. If the mast is plumb and the mount is assembled using hole "A", the pointer is approximately in the correct position for 37-39 degrees elevation.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Both scales indicate elevation. There is no latitude scale on the dish. The "A" scale is used if the through bolt was installed using hole "A". The other side of the bracket is the "B" scale that is used if the through-bolt was installed using hole "B".

Thanks for the close-up photos. If the mast is plumb and the mount is assembled using hole "A", the pointer is approximately in the correct position for 37-39 degrees elevation.

What about rotating the LNB, am I doing that correctly?

So, I'm back home now, and I've set up my temporary rig on the pavement out front of my house. It's not completely level, as you can see in the photo, due to pavement being unlevel.

I've been trying to use Amiko's scanner to see if I can tune any satellites. I've tried 103 and 97, but can't seem to get even a blip. I'm perplexed, because I've aimed Dish Network dishes plenty of times, but I can't get anything on this.

Is there a way for the Amiko to scan for ANY frequency, even if it's not the correct satellite?

One other question: if I connect my Dish LNB to the Amiko and specify 61.5 or 72, will it find anything? I'm trying to troubleshoot and I'd love to be able to at least prove that I'm able to tune SOMETHING!

IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG

So, I'm back home now, and I've set up my temporary rig on the pavement out front of my house. It's not completely level, as you can see in the photo, due to pavement being unlevel.

I've been trying to use Amiko's scanner to see if I can tune any satellites. I've tried 103 and 97, but can't seem to get even a blip. I'm perplexed, because I've aimed Dish Network dishes plenty of times, but I can't get anything on this.

Is there a way for the Amiko to scan for ANY frequency, even if it's not the correct satellite?

One other question: if I connect my Dish LNB to the Amiko and specify 61.5 or 72, will it find anything? I'm trying to troubleshoot and I'd love to be able to at least prove that I'm able to tune SOMETHING!

View attachment 131777 View attachment 131776 View attachment 131778

It was hard for me to, but I didn’t give up. Make sure you have a clear view of the southern sky and don’t trust those augmented reality apps.I’d recommend you watch K4EST’s Amiko Mini HD RE setup videos. Check to see if your dish is not warped by laying it on a flat surface. If it’s a geostationary satellite, you don’t have to worry about a level pole. For elevation, I used my iPhone built in inclinometer by laying it horizontal yon the LNB arm.
Hope this helps

It was hard for me to, but I didn’t give up. Make sure you have a clear view of the southern sky and don’t trust those augmented reality apps.I’d recommend you watch K4EST’s Amiko Mini HD RE setup videos. Check to see if your dish is not warped by laying it on a flat surface. If it’s a geostationary satellite, you don’t have to worry about a level pole. For elevation, I used my iPhone built in inclinometer by laying it horizontal yon the LNB arm.
Hope this helps

Oh trust me, I'm not going to give up!

Reactions: Phalaenopsis
The install menu for 97W KU in your photo shows "No TP". No satellite will be found unless an active transponder is entered for the receiver to lock onto. Don't understand why the satellite list has no preprogrammed transponders listed. Were the transponders erased?

If looking for 97w KU, set the LNBF skew to the proper rotation angle (see dishpointer.com) and enter an active transponder for 97w. I would suggest 12152 H 20000. Make sure the LNB Type is set to Standard LO 10750.

The install menu for 97W KU in your photo shows "No TP". No satellite will be found unless an active transponder is entered for the receiver to lock onto. Don't understand why the satellite list has no preprogrammed transponders listed. Were the transponders erased?

If looking for 97w KU, set the LNBF skew to the proper rotation angle (see dishpointer.com) and enter an active transponder for 97w. I would suggest 12152 H 20000. Make sure the LNB Type is set to Standard LO 10750.

Well that could explain why I’m not getting anything.

According to the video KE4EST made for the Amiko, he doesn’t pre-load transponders

Each satellite will need to have an active transponder in order to detect and lock and display signal strength and signal quality readings.

I would recommend that you go to Sathint.com or Lyngsat.com and choose a DVBS or S2 transponder that is a high symbol rate and a low FEC ratio. Example: I would select a transponder with with a symbol rate of 30,000 and FEC of 2/3 over a transponder with symbol rate 5000 and FEC 7/8. These transponders are usually faster to lock and display a Signal Quality reading. For the purpose of Amon, you can use channels that are either in the clear or encrypted with format such as PowerView, etc. because these are standard DVBS/DVBS2 carriers and will display signal quality readings. Typically the VBS services will be easier to locate and lock, but like everything else, there are exceptions… LOL!

If the post is not perfectly plum and level it will make it more difficult to locate the satellite.

Use dishpointer.com to caculate the compass heading for 97 W. based on your address. Using a compass identify a landmark in the far distance like a tree telephone pole chimney, etc., which aligns closely with the compass reading provided on dishpointer.com. Set the elevation angle and the LNBF skew (rotation), select the active transponder in your satellite list. Make sure that the LNB of power is on and the polarity is set to auto.

Aim the dish towards the landmark that you identified earlier. Slowly sweep the sky 10° east and west of this landmark while watching the Signal Quality reading meter. If no Signal Quality reading is displayed, increase or decrease the dish elevation by 1° and repeat the slow sweeping motion while watching the signal quality meter. Increase or decrease the mount elevation bracket in 1° increments and repeat the slow sweeping motion until signal quality is detected. Once a signal quality reading is found, optimize the azimuth, elevation and skew for peak Signal Quality reading then perform a blind scan.

I typically perform a blind scan for all channels not just free to air then do a channel list sort to separate the free unencrypted channels from the scrambled channels. Often channels that scan in as scrambled or false flagged and actually are in the clear. The service may occasionally turn off the encryption occasionally and these channels become viewable! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts