considering getting orbytv next month, can I self-instal?

Unless you're a RVer, I'm not convinced that this should matter.There's a place, but probably not a big market. The difference with the other MVPDs is that they offer more channels to choose from and what you do choose typically comes with higher quality picture and sound.
And a higher price with a contract

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

The Orby system is great for taking to the lake and that’s what I will be doing next spring. It’s definitely good for RV users but also has its advantages with fixed installations, find the bird peak that’s all. I have installed a Directv slimline and it does take some fiddling to get the best signal from 99,101,103. With Orby only using a single satellite makes installing the dish so much easier. I plan on purchasing equipment from Claude to setup a system at the cabin for late evening viewing after early activities. I have mentioned Orby to my mother and will buy her a system as well. They have pretty much all the channels she watches so dropping Dish would save her some decent money. It seems like if you even stare at your Directv dish it triggers another contract . I am glad that purchasing equipment here will benefit SatelliteGuys also.

With Orby only using a single satellite makes installing the dish so much easier.
I've observed that setting up a DISH (or DIRECTV Phase III) three-slot dish isn't any more difficult than an Orby dish. All of the adjustments are accomplished in exactly the same way. The Slimline is perhaps the most persnickety (but it features the coolest adjustment facilities). Dishes that require skew (including the Orby dish) are designed to be preset so you don't have to worry about the "outer" slots (or the polarity with Orby). Perhaps the Orby dish is a little more forgiving on skew, but I preset it as carefully as I would a DISH or DIRECTV dish.

All dishes beg for a plumb mast and the Orby mast adjusts the same as everyone else's.

My lake system has the DISH 1000 (quite a bit smaller than the 1000.2) mounted on a chunk of plywood with three 2x2 legs (a really short tripod) and it usually takes me under 5 minutes to be watching TV (no outboard meter or undoing the cable required).

The DISH 1000.2 has about the same sail area as the Orby dish that is around 5-1/2" narrower than the Slimline.

I submit that there is no advantage to the Orby dish over a DISH 1000.2 with respect to setup. The Slimline's screw adjustments may compensate for much of the additional diligence required to dial in the Ka slots.

I've observed that setting up a DISH (or DIRECTV Phase III) three-slot dish isn't any more difficult than an Orby dish. All of the adjustments are accomplished in exactly the same way. The Slimline is perhaps the most persnickety (but it features the coolest adjustment facilities). Dishes that require skew (including the Orby dish) are designed to be preset so you don't have to worry about the "outer" slots (or the polarity with Orby). Perhaps the Orby dish is a little more forgiving on skew, but I preset it as carefully as I would a DISH or DIRECTV dish.

All dishes beg for a plumb mast and the Orby mast adjusts the same as everyone else's.

My lake system has the DISH 1000 (quite a bit smaller than the 1000.2) mounted on a chunk of plywood with three 2x2 legs (a really short tripod) and it usually takes me under 5 minutes to be watching TV (no outboard meter or undoing the cable required).

The DISH 1000.2 has about the same sail area as the Orby dish that is around 5-1/2" narrower than the Slimline.

I submit that there is no advantage to the Orby dish over a DISH 1000.2 with respect to setup. The Slimline's screw adjustments may compensate for much of the additional diligence required to dial in the Ka slots.

I understand your opinion. You have yours and I have mine about the Orby dish. I think it’s easier than a slimline or a Dish Net dish that is easy also. So let’s just end it here and go enjoy some great TV!.

I understand your opinion. You have yours and I have mine about the Orby dish.
You've characterized this as a subjective argument and that's not really what it is. Pointing a satellite dish is mostly objective.

Subjective: personal feelings
Objective: reality

In the event that you're using an antenna other than that offered by Orby, the reality of setup may be different but it is still measurable.

Personally I found the orby system the easiest dish i have ever aimed. After your orby receiver is already setup, connect it, get the dish even close and move it around. It locks on fast! I was surprised how easy.

Reactions: N6BY
Get on the OrbyTV mailing list or follow on face book. A few times in the past months, both the standard STB and the DVR have been half price.

Yes, you may use the 33" dish, but be sure to have a standard LO 10750 LNBF. A universal LO 9750/10600 LNBF will not work. BTW, your converted slimline dish should work as well!
Orby signal is easy to receive. Pro a leader get it with a pie pan a s lnbf lol