Considering going back to DTV..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigfame

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
outside Atlanta, GA
I had Directv for many years and had no problems until one day both our HD DVR's would freeze numerous times a day needing a reset from the front of the box. This would happen about 2 to 3 times a day. This was back in the summer of this year. I ditched the directv and went to Dish Network and am having no problems with the HD DVR's but not having enough hardd drive space. I also miss Directv On Demand as I used that ALLOT. My question is..

Is this still a wide spread and known issues with the HD DVR's or have they resolved the issues for the most part? Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem with my HR21-100 & with the latest three national upgrades (which were a complete cluster chuck done in primetime) my HR21 is solid as a rock. The GI is still not as fast as my 20's but I'd imagine in time they will get them perfect. My neighbors HR22 is also working just fine after the update.

The only main glitches are with some Samsung models & those require a software/firmware update on the TV itself as the handshake is what is causing the problem. Supposedly the new HR23 will be out in a few weeks (500GB hardrive/internal BBC/SWM) so you might think about waiting a month to guarantee the latest & greatest.

bigfame,
Back when you were having issues, before you went tom DISH, did you call D* and see what they could do to help, replace rec.'s or track down the trouble ???

Some have had issues, I don't know that they are long term or not.
I have has HD DVR's since they came out and have not had any trouble with them.

Jimbo

I had Directv for many years and had no problems until one day both our HD DVR's would freeze numerous times a day needing a reset from the front of the box. This would happen about 2 to 3 times a day. This was back in the summer of this year. I ditched the directv and went to Dish Network and am having no problems with the HD DVR's but not having enough hardd drive space. I also miss Directv On Demand as I used that ALLOT. My question is..

Is this still a wide spread and known issues with the HD DVR's or have they resolved the issues for the most part? Any help would be appreciated.

Not to sway any opinion but you are aware of external HD feature on Dish Network. I have one 750 GB connected to my 722, once it is full, I will add another HD. :)

I used to have the same problems with my 2 boxes freezing and needing a reboot every day as well. I am happy to say, those problems are gone now and I haven't needed a reboot in quite some time.

Thanks everyone for replying. I prefer Directv pretty much for the DOD. My brother is big on HD and my mom is big on ondemand so right now im paying for Charter cable & Dish. So Directv will have all we need in one bill.

-When I had the problems before I called about everyday and they said it was a known issue and there was pretty much nothing that cause be done until a future software update and just told me to reset (which got old after the 4th time in one day). That was the ONLY draw back to directv so with that being fixed Ill be more than happy to return.

Thanks everyone for replying. I prefer Directv pretty much for the DOD. My brother is big on HD and my mom is big on ondemand so right now im paying for Charter cable & Dish. So Directv will have all we need in one bill.

Please remember that for DoD you'll need an internet connection to the HD DVR, that content is not delivered via the dish.

yeah Ive been with Directv before and have a home network so Im familiar with the directv dod feature. Thanks for giving me a heads up tho.

Status
Please reply by conversation.