Coolsat 5000 Platinum Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

8valve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Adirondack Mts
I bought a Coolsat 5000 Platinum for my shop. I down loaded the manual from the manual section on this forum. However, I have 2 questions that dont appear to be covered in the manual. 1. My new FTA system with the Geosat receiver displays the actual channel numbers. However the Coolsat 5000 displays the channel numbers as 2XXX. As a example on my Geosat a Program is on G19, Channel 257. while on the Coolsat its on Channel 2140. Why, whats happening and how do I get it to display the correct channels. 2. The Coolsat being a older receiver, the software for satellite positions is not correct for all Satellites since some have been moved since this receiver was made. The manual mentions flashing for current software, but no where does it tell how to re-flash. Can anyone point me to instructions on re-flashing. Many Thanks 8Valve

I bought a Coolsat 5000 Platinum for my shop.
sweet. The Coolsat is a great receiver
1. My new FTA system with the Geosat receiver displays the actual channel numbers. However the Coolsat 5000 displays the channel numbers as 2XXX. As a example on my Geosat a Program is on G19, Channel 257. while on the Coolsat its on Channel 2140. Why, whats happening and how do I get it to display the correct channels.
The reciever probably has some old hackerware in it where the channel numbers were like Dish and Bell numbering. Best thing is to flash with new software

2. The Coolsat being a older receiver, the software for satellite positions is not correct for all Satellites since some have been moved since this receiver was made. The manual mentions flashing for current software, but no where does it tell how to re-flash. Can anyone point me to instructions on re-flashing. Many Thanks 8Valve

Here is a site with 3rd party factory firmware that we endorse
FTAFirmware for Coolsat

and the loader

Attachments

• CoolSat Pro Loader v.2.4.zip
    167.5 KB · Views: 542
Using the Coolsat Pro loader, you can load and dump both the firmware and channel files. If you choose, you can dump the channel files, and import them into ChannelMaster by SharpC , SharpC Discussion Forum , and edit the channel names, delete unwanted tp's and channels , etc. Then export them back to an "ndf" file and reload the new versions you just created into the Coolsat 5000. It'll help you keep the sat names just the way you want them. My preference is to precede each sat name with it's position, (ex 97W Gal-19 Ku) . You can choose whatever system fits your mood.
:)

8valve was asking for instructions on how to "reflash" his Coolsat, which I don't see posted....unless they were included in the attached file that Iceberg posted with the loader. I was hoping to see those same instructions as I too want to update the factory firmware. When I've tried it before, I never can seem to get it to download the new files to the stb. I have the correct null modem cable. Anyone have the step by step instructions? Thanks.

I think the 5000 takes a straight through cable. I forget ;)
I did post the loader (as an attachment) and a link to the sowftare

to load software
1. open loader
2. make sure "software" tab is chose
3. press "browse"
4. find file (make sure its unzipped)
5. press connect. It will show what software you currently have
6. press start

thats it

8Valve,

Here are two resources that you will need to support your Coolsat 5K...

Enjoy it my friend, it is a very nice receiver!

RADAR

Attachments

• Channel Master.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 484
  • CoolSat Pro Loader v.2.4.zip
    167.5 KB · Views: 307
Sorry Ice,

I posted the same file for the loader as you did. It took me that long to zip and load it and you got there before me.

Never the less, the Coolsat 5K and 6K are excellent little STBs. I love them and still continue to use them even though I have an AZBox in my lineup. You just cannot beat a Coolsat 5K for standard DVBS use. You made a good decision to buy one, you won't regret it. Sure, things are changing, but these boxes still function and they are a great box for beginners to start out with as well as seasoned veterans! They are friendly to use and work exceptionally well!

RADAR

It is correct that you need to use the straight through RS232 cable to communicate between your PC and the Coolsat.

If you want to transfer files between two Coolsat receivers (like cloning one coolsat channel list to another), then you need the null modem cable so that they can handshake properly.

RADAR

Thanks Guys; Let me be sure I have this correct so I dont screw up my Coolsat. 1. Down load both the loader and the firmware 2. Unzip on my computer 3.Execute Loader, then browse for Coolsat Firmware 4. Serial cable between computer and coolsat 5.Click connect 6.Click Start. Is that all correct ? Computers are not my strong area LOL Thank You 8Valve

Thanks to all who shared their knowledge....much appreciated! I think my problem, then is my serial cable. I'm pretty sure I have a straight thru cable around somewhere.

A little more help please

I am half way in getting the Coolsat 5000 Platinum back to normal. Iceberg, I followed your directions in post #2 and loaded the firmware. This took care of the strange channel numbering I described in my first post. Here is the receiver info after the firmware update; Coolsat 5000 Platinum SW Version 0.05 (dec 17, 2009) HW version 1.10 Boot Version 2.10 (09:14) CH version June 14 2009 My next quest was to load the new and current satellites. I downloaded the Channel master.zip I need help, have no idea what to do with it after I unzipped. The only executable file is STbce.exe. Please walk me through updating the Sat List. Now, one final question......I hope....LOL ! This Coolsat will be in my Shop hooked to my 12 foot Paraclisp, with Corotor and C and KU LNB's The system in my house is a Geosat 200 using USALS to drive the dish motor. If I return my dish to ZERO. Then hook the Coolsat up and find/scan in all the sat/channels, can I then simply return the dish to ZERO and re-hook my Geosat without screwing up my present Geosat positions ? My Present KU and C band LNB's on the BUD are Echostar. Does anyone know the LO frequency to set the receiver to when I start searching for Sats in the shop on the BUD. My Sincere thanks 8Valve

Which Firmware to load

As directed by Iceberg, I went to the link provided "FTA Firmware for Coolsat" There are a bunch of different versions listed for Coolsat 5000. Which is the correct version to update my coolsat. The Receiver; Coolsat 5000 Platinum ( Black Case) Serial CST28S0060428182 Have no idea of the Date it was built Thanks 8Valve

You can use any of the ones that start with "CS5000". The further down the list you go will have more things changed/added/fixed.

I have been using the CS6000-004 in both of my Coolsat 6000 receivers for a year now, works great

any of them will work. there's just minor changes through them
I was running .03 in it for a long time with no issues

Still Haveing a Coolsat 5000 Problem

Ok, thats for the info on the Coolsat firmware reflash. However it did not solve my problem. A few weeks ago, when I got the Coolsat from Ebay the Channel Numbers displayed as 2XXX. For example, I always use the TV Preacher Dr Scott since the 1980's as he is like the north star, always there. My brand new Geosat Channel numbers start at 100. Gene Scott is on G19, channel 257. On the Coolsat he was on channel 2140. One poster suggested that the Coolsat might have some hackerware in it and suggested to re-flash the firmware. I did this today with the latest version on "FTA Firmware for Coolsat". Everything changed, but not for the good. Now the Coolsat channel numbers start at 1. Gene Scott is now on channel 60. Here is something I find interesting, but dont understand what it means. Doing a Info on my Geosat 200, on G19 Gene Scott I see Channel 257, 12115V, 22425. On the Coolsat 5000 I see Channel 60, 12113V, 22426. Does anyone have a idea what is happening with the Coolsat 5000 and how to make it read the channel numbers correctly. Other that this issue, it works great, super picture on my 12 foot paraclispe in the shop. Thank You 8Valve

channel numbers are really irrelevant. You've proven part of it
The Geosat starts at channel 100 whereas the Coolsat is 1

So there is no "true" channel list on free to air. As example on my CS5000 I started with 72W and scanned the arc going west. On my Pansat 1500 in the other room I dont have all the sats scanned in. So Doc Scott may show as channel 80 on the 5000 but channel 20 on the Pansat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)