Coolsat 6000 Premium 101w

Status
Please reply by conversation.

roosman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
I cannot seem to pickup history or biography on 101w with my coolsat. It gives me a scrambled looking screen. Is the coolsat not compatible with these channels?

Thanks in advance

I cannot seem to pickup history or biography on 101w with my coolsat. It gives me a scrambled looking screen. Is the coolsat not compatible with these channels?

Thanks in advance
There are three types of channels on that Mux.......1) Scrambled (2) Video but AC3 audio, and (3)Unsrambled. Look for the unscrambled ones, it will not specifically display History or Bio channel on you channel list.

There are three types of channels on that Mux.......1) Scrambled (2) Video but AC3 audio, and (3)Unsrambled. Look for the unscrambled ones, it will not specifically display History or Bio channel on you channel list.

I am aware of the channel name enc_test_11...scans and works on my pci card. Just wondering if the coolsat cant handle the video feed? All other channels are working. It almost looks like the channel is in hd, like if I were to tune into PBS on 125w.

Anyone else with coolsat 6000 getting these channels?

I am aware of the channel name enc_test_11...scans and works on my pci card. Just wondering if the coolsat cant handle the video feed? All other channels are working. It almost looks like the channel is in hd, like if I were to tune into PBS on 125w.

Anyone else with coolsat 6000 getting these channels?

Roosman,

There are four channels under the HOTEL NETWORK provider which are FTA at this time. History and Biography channel normal audio and History / Biography channel with AC3 audio. You are already aware that these channels scan in with the ENC_11_test and ENC_12_test names or folowed by the AC3 notation.

I have a Coolsat 5K, a Fortec Star Dynamic and an AZBox Premium. These channels come in on all three of these rcvrs.

If you are not detecting these channels, then your dish, motor or LNBF may not be quite aligned or your menu selections are not correct (LNB TYPE incorrect or something). These channels are quite strong.

This sat (AMC 4 @ 101.0'W) is supposed to have a slight tilt to it, which means that the polorization is not normal (it is more CW). I receive these channels without any compensation for this tilt of the satellite or its TPs, but you may need to investigate this if you cannot pull these channels in.

If I remember correctly what others have told me, the LNBF on a Fixed Point dish needs to be polarized 26 degrees CW or to the east. This is more extreme than most other sats.

I doubt that this polarization issue is your problem as I have never positioned my LNBF this way on my motorized dish (I leave it set to zero degrees or no polarization) and I get these channels in with 96-98% Quality.

My guess is that your dish (or motor if you are using one) is not properly aligned.

Hopefully, your location is not out of the footprint for this sat and the TPs. You can research this on Satbeams.com

RADAR

This sat (AMC 4 @ 101.0'W) is supposed to have a slight tilt to it, which means that the polorization is not normal (it is more CW). I receive these channels without any compensation for this tilt of the satellite or its TPs, but you may need to investigate this if you cannot pull these channels in.

If I remember correctly what others have told me, the LNBF on a Fixed Point dish needs to be polarized 26 degrees CW or to the east. This is more extreme than most other sats.
you're thinking of AMC1 103W next door. That is the oddball. 101 is just normal

History and Bio come in just fine on the pci card, same dish, same lnb and motor. It's a 39" with universal lnb. All the other channels come in on the bird. Must be firmware issue on the coolsat. Will try flashing to factory and let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for all the advice.

*edit - Thanks iceberg, you answered my question exactly.

So the channels log in but you cant see them right?

What signal quality are they at? Should be around 70-72 or higher

Yes the channels scan in, but cant view them. They look like lines almost like they are scrambled. Signal is fine, as they work on the PCI card. A little low (68-70) though.

I am in Northwestern Ontario.

Yes the channels scan in, but cant view them. They look like lines almost like they are scrambled. Signal is fine, as they work on the PCI card. A little low (68-70) though.

weird as they should come in. I'm just down the road in Minneapolis and they come in just fine. I know a couple folks in NW Ontario (Thunder Bay and West) and they havent had any issues either

So the channels log in but you cant see them right?

What signal quality are they at? Should be around 70-72 or higher

I think that is going to work out to be your problem, Roosman. Either your antenna (dish and motor) are not perfectly aligned or the dish is too small for the EIRP level in your location. You already witness that the signal is low on your PCI card.

Take the receiver out to the dish and try to gently pull on the dish (up/down/right/left) and see if you can improve the signal. If you cannot improve it, then you are probably maxed out and need a larger dish for this sat.

Do you know of anyone in your general area that has a similar setup that you can compare to? Check that out, too, if you can.

RADAR

It is coming ok here. 76" dish on a motor and a Coolsat 6000 during the day.
The signal decreases at night. At this point 7:45 pm it is at 63 quality and unwatchable. I could peak my dish but I watch it during mostly the day.

I am in Thunder Bay...

Looks like it is a signal problem, as Globecast is having issues now. We had some strong winds on the weekend. Remnants of that hurricane. I think it blew the dish out. I am going to pull the dish and remount. I think my screws are no good. Will use 1/4" lag bolts.

Long time lurker, this is my first thread on the board. You guys are great and super helpful. No bashing!!!! What a great group of peeps.

I miss 123 :(

I am in Thunder Bay...

Looks like it is a signal problem, as Globecast is having issues now. We had some strong winds on the weekend. Remnants of that hurricane. I think it blew the dish out. I am going to pull the dish and remount. I think my screws are no good. Will use 1/4" lag bolts.

Long time lurker, this is my first thread on the board. You guys are great and super helpful. No bashing!!!! What a great group of peeps.

I miss 123 :(

Roosman,

We certainly welcome you here! It is a pleasure to assist you (or should I say attempt to do so?)! I am hoping that your dilemna can be resolved in short order.

In my personal opinion, it is a wonderful experience to assist others in this endeavor as I learn from simply trying to help. I believe that there is some sort of parable that states that no man can honestly help another without helping himself.

I think that is why we all enjoy trying to troubleshoot problems like yours and why all the guys and gals here are really exceptional in what they do! They (and myself) thoroughly enjoy the learning experience as much as we enjoy meeting new friends! :)

This specific post won't help you figure out your problem, but hopefully it makes you feel welcomed and generally good as it makes me feel good just the same to mention it!

AcWxRADAR

PS: You can call me RADAR or Gordy. Gordy is my real name, but RADAR is probably a bit easier to recall and maybe a little more fun. My handle or screen name "AcWxRADAR" stems from my experience with weather RADAR in the general aviation industry (AC = AirCraft, Wx = Weather and of course RADAR for the obvious).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)