CoolSat 6100 Gets Stuck half thru a Blind Scan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
Coolsat 6100 unknown history given to me, gets stuck about half way thru a blind scan. I tried re-loading the FW 1.14, which is what was on there, did a factory re-set. Any ideas?

Does it do it on every blind scan, or just certain satellites, or just occasionally?

I had a Coolsat 7100, which I think is about the same thing except with recording capability, and I vaguely remember that once in a while I would find some kind of transponder that it didn't like, but as it was the only box I had, I had no way of knowing what kind of transponder it was.

Some of them would also flake out if they had too many transponders/channels stored, but if you did a reset I would imagine that it cleared all that out.

When I hear 'getting stuck in blind scan' I always want to think of memory overload. I guess you already have looked at the satellite entries and checked if there is a lot of empty tp entries? If master reset does clear it all out, and still hangs up, firmware may be corrupt. Beyond those ideas, hardware/chip gone bad?

I've got two of these. They both do this if there are too many transponders and or channels stored. Also specific transponders on some satellites will lock it up. I use the advanced and manual scan options when I run into one of these. With the right firmware this receiver has a pretty fair PVR function.

I've only scanned 89Ku and 99C and it does it on both sats. I'll have to look and see if the re-set is clearing out the old TP's.
What would be the right FW to be using?

Hi Pixl, the latest F/W file you're looking for is; CS 6100 V1.16 Factory 20080925(2).

I didn't see it in the local files section here, but you should be able to find it easily enough on
the net. If not, I could try to upload a zipped copy of it to the files section here for you.

Let me know how you've made out.

UPNATM,

I was searching the net earlier today from work, saw that file up on two sites, but they were hacker sites that require you to join before downloading. Don't really want my name in those places. Just by typing Coolsat in Google some sites are blocked by my company's web filtering citing they are hostile places!
So, I'll take you up on your offer to post it here.

thank you.

Hi Pixl,

I just went thru the paces of uploading the CoolSat file for you, I wouldn't doubt
that the mods will want to have a look at it before it gets posted, if I even did it
right.

I think most of the files posted at the site rgk suggested, are hackware, as anything
tagged with "norw_group" is third-party, CoolSat wrote the "FAC" files for their STBs.

Good luck,

Thanks upnatm, I'll wait for your file to be posted before I mess around with the norw_hack file.
I was laughing yesterday at some of the hack sites I was at actually showed the results of their files with screen shots of Dish Network pay per view programing.

Hi Pixl,

I just went thru the paces of uploading the CoolSat file for you, I wouldn't doubt
that the mods will want to have a look at it before it gets posted, if I even did it
right.

I think most of the files posted at the site rgk suggested, are hackware, as anything
tagged with "norw_group" is third-party, CoolSat wrote the "FAC" files for their STBs.

Good luck,

I'm not seeing any new uploads...what is the full name of the one you up loaded? Is it the name you posted above?

If the factory file doesn't include PVR capabilities then the "hackware" is the way to go. I have a 500gb drive connected to my USB which provides many hours of recordings at about 1.6gb per hour. ... and the signal strength meter actually works properly. I've been running this version for at least 18 months. The link came from Satguys back then.

I'm saying it's an inexpensive reliable way to end up with a PVR receiver. It won't fix some of the bugs like random lock ups (V1.16 will not fix it either). Most of these receivers use Linux software. Linux was intended to be an open source operating system so that individuals can modify it as they wish. If you own a wireless access point, chances are it's running Linux as well. This firmware rev does not attempt to do anything illegal. If your 6100 currently has pirateware on it this revision may not remove it entirely. I have two 6100s. One was new and the other used from e-bay. The new 6100 works best with the firmware. The satelite meter is scaled properly and it has no problem with a 500g USB harddrive. There is a bug in the pvr option that will not let you program it to record just once. It must be daily or sat-sun.

The used 6100 had pirateware on it. After installing the new firmware there were still some references to dish switches and the satellite meter is still scaled for the stronger signals from the Dish satellites. Otherwise it functions as well as the new 6100.

I believe it was MacGuyver that pointed me towards this firmware and I haven't had any regrets in the extended time I've used it.

Heres the full message from McGuyver:

CS 6100p PVR
Disclaimer: Use this info as you please under your own discretion, I will not be held responsible for your actions. This is for testing purposes only.

I copied and pasted this info as info only. There may be typing errors so use your head.

this is a free and safe download site, no registration is required

***make sure to download the 6100 file***

The file is no longer useful as a decryption codec, it's the old N2 technology but all of the utilities are functional and work very well.

The file is located here:

change the xx to tt
hxxp://ftafiles.org/index_coolsat.html

And don't use any of the other files listed on the lower part of this web page.

I have read that they don't work and you may corrupt your receiver!

Here are instructions and usage tips on the PVR functions that I copied:

Note- some of these instructions are refering to the hacker's usage when they were pirating DishNet, example: the EPG shortcut tips won't work without having a channel line-up in the EPG.

INSTRUCTIONS:
How to Flash a Coolsat 6100 using the USB stick
Before starting you may want to format your USB stick to be sure the receiver recognizes it. To do this, with the remote press this sequence... MENU>UTILITIES>USB>FORMAT>OK....it should only take a few seconds to format the USB stick. Once finished formatting the stick, follow the instructions below to flash the receiver with the USB stick.

1) Download, save and unzip the file you want to load to the receiver.
2) Load the .ird file you get after unzipping the compressed file to the USB stick
3) Put the USB stick in the USB port on the front of the receiver
4) A message box should appear on your tv screen. In this box should be a list of the files contained on the USB stick. Using the up and down buttons (the ones you use to change channels) to highlight the file you wish to load to the receiver.
5) Press the RED button (beside the green button) to start the receiver downloading the file. The digits in the receiver display should start going in circles. Wait for it to finish writing the file to the receiver. The receiver will reboot itself. L100 will flash on the display and then go back to the channel the receiver was tuned to.
6) Remove the USB stick from the port on the receiver.

NOTE: If the message box mentioned in step 4 above does not automatically come up, you can manually get to the list of files on the stick by following this sequence with the remote......press MENU>UTILITIES>DATA TRANSFER>DATA DOWNLOAD FROM USB STORAGE........then you should see the list of files. Follow the rest of step 4 instructions and then step 5 and 6.

Some people say that it is imperative that before doing these steps that you do a factory restore. I hardly ever do a factory restore unless I am loading a new factory file to the receiver OR there is a release note with the file instructing me to do so.
If you choose to do a factory restore prior to loading a file to the receiver, you will need to enter all of the antenna settings and rescan your channels after loading the files.

Using the PVR Function on the Coolsat CS6100
These are scattered all over, so I decided to consolidate them for ease of use.
Hey guys, these are just a few pointers I have found for using the PVR funtions on the 6100p.
Connect the hard drive or usb stick to the USB port (the 6100 has no back port, only the front) and format it. Then use the PVR function buttons (the top round set) like you would on a dvd recorder or vcr.
I am using a Maxtor One Touch 4 320g HDD.

To Format the external hard drive go: Menu>Utilities>USB>Format
There are a couple of other options you can change by going: Menu>Utilities>Recording Options
When watching a program that you have recorded, press the info button on the remote and when the info box pops up, it will say PLAY and have the title of the program and the time remaining displayed. It is nothing major, but pretty cool if you want to know how much time is remaining in the program.

Also, if you press the button directly above the
number 2 (it looks like and eject button for a VCR) a box with a quick link to the PVR functions. It keeps from having to go into the menu to get to the play list of what all is recorderd.

To set timer recordings:
With the remote do this menu>system setting>timer manager. Then press the green button. Enter the info you see on the screen. In the last setting, which will be 'TYPE' be sure to change this to 'Record'.
I do not know if the receiver has to be left on or if it will work if you turn it off. I never turn mine off.
To program a scheduled record you can set it up the way I described. Set the mode for however often you want it to record..once, daily, weekly, or pick the day of the week.

You can also set a timer recording by going to the program you want to record in the guide before it comes on and pressing the OK button twice. When it is set, a red dot will appear to the right of the title.
If you want to record several items on one channel, for example, if the Discovery channel is running a marathon of a particular show and you want to record all the shows that are aired back to back, there is an easy way to do this. Open the guide, highlight the first show of it that is currently playing, press the RECORD (red) button twice. An option screen will pop up and you can set how long you want it to record that channel, eliminating having to set a timer record program for each individual show.

Coolsat PVR Function for FF & RW Quickly Through a File PVR function for fast forwarding/reversing quickly through file

A feature I found this last weekend was that when you are playing a file, you can scan through it with the normal Volume arrow(beside the OK button), you can fast forward with 2 speeds with the arrow keys at top of remote beside the Time button(this is the normal way). The feature of the scanning with the Volume button is nice and quick, I was repeatedly having to fast forward or reverse if no bookmarks were setup with the slow reverse or fastforward buttons.

Oh yeah,... the Play toolbar must be showing to access this feature. IE: hit the play button after you start a playback and a toolbar with duration,bookmarks as well as the current position of the playbackwill appear.​

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts