Coolsat 8000?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Coolsat 8000HD?

Ok, guys! It is the 10th, and we still don't know if this receiver that we have been waiting for does 4:2:2, or anything else useable by the FTA community besides OTA? I figure someone would have sold their kid for it by now. :D I don't have a kid, so I can't sell one. Come to think of it, I don't have a HD TV yet either. If I couldn't watch feeds and things I might want not want a HD TV anyway.

Last edited:
Stopped by the CES booth and spoke to them about this model.

It is confirmed that the receiver is ATSC HD and DVBS standard. It is not capable of 4:2:2 reception.

If they were going through the trouble of rolling out a new model then WHY would they leave out 4:2:2? Would it really be that hard to add 1 lousy set of features?

Does anyone in their company ever google the word "satellite" ? wouldn't be real hard to find out what people want.

If they were going through the trouble of rolling out a new model then WHY would they leave out 4:2:2? Would it really be that hard to add 1 lousy set of features?

Does anyone in their company ever google the word "satellite" ? wouldn't be real hard to find out what people want.

They left out more than that, it won't even do 4:2:0 HD evidently. Probably banking on the large percentage of the population that think they are watching HD when they aren't.

Keep in mind legal use is not what sells the receiver, it's sad but true.

I do not see a 4:2:2 receiver for the North American market coming anytime soon, I do hope I am wrong.

I know this is fanciful, but humor me if you can....

Given that the dreambox has a linux backend, are the specs for the hardware/software of these boxes in the public domain?

I wonder how much capital it takes to get one of these things off the ground, versus an insurmountable project like cloning a 4dtv box.

I know this is fanciful, but humor me if you can....

Given that the dreambox has a linux backend, are the specs for the hardware/software of these boxes in the public domain?

I wonder how much capital it takes to get one of these things off the ground, versus an insurmountable project like cloning a 4dtv box.

Hi all,

Just thought I would throw out this answer for JerryK,

I just checked the Dreambox website, and they do list the specs for the hardware and the first item is this:
250 MHz IBM PowerPC Processor (350 Mips)
That means that even though Linux, it is a specific distro of Linux which runs on an older Mac platform.

They don't tell you the exact parts they use, nor do they tell you the exact software they use, but do point you to a site where you can download the GPL'd portions of their software.

If you count all your research time, buying and assembling the correct parts, downloading their software, and purchasing their driver which is not GPL, it would be cheaper to buy the box already assembled.

Hope that answers your question.

Fred

Actually you can pull down the entire source tree for a dreambox via CVS from tuxbox.org. You'll need to set up a cross compile environment on your Linux PC so that you can compile PPC binaries. I have built the images successfully from CVS in the past. There's nothing missing, none of it is closed source. Not a Mac platform either, there are quite a few different iterations of PPC CPUs.

Very interesting. my background is CS, so this stuff isn't (so far) very intimidating... but assuming one could get it to manufacture a proper digital signal, how would one route it from what is RCA output hardware.... to Composite or hdmi?

I think I have a new project. thx!

Interesting dem0nlord,

I still think that after investing the time, buying the equipment, (unless you just had it lying around), compiling the OS and the applications, you would have a lot less money and time invested in just buying the box.

Fred

Interesting dem0nlord,

I still think that after investing the time, buying the equipment, (unless you just had it lying around), compiling the OS and the applications, you would have a lot less money and time invested in just buying the box.

Fred

I agree. I have a DM500 for sale in the classifieds here(shameless plug).

dreambox being a euro ird has scart outputs

the 500 has composite & scart
7000 has two scarts
7020 has two scarts, composite, and RF

I use my 7000 with a component scart adapter. works well.

the big downfall is that dreambox doesnt have blindscan, although the channel list is plain text so its easy to edit by hand, channel master also supports dreambox channel lists too.

its all opensrc, if you dont like something, change it :) many people have done this, ie why there are so many pre-compiled images avalible for dreambox. people have added all sorts of things like CC etc.

there are many good posts on the net on how to compile your own image customized just for you :)

Like many following this thread, I expect the sat receiver portion of the 8000HD to be just a plain QPSK, 4:2:0, MPEG2 receiver, with the HD functionality soley in the ATSC tuner.

Still, I wouldn't mind trying it out on a 4:2:0 HD 4PSK channel- does such exist? If so, what sat and tp? This will probably be ignored- but it would be helpful to hear ONLY from people who have actually received the channel, leaving out second hand information.

I'm still puzzled about what MPEG4 signals can be received.

My 8000HD arrives this afternoon and will report tonight.

Poopoo once again on FedEx. Fetching parcels with them is always a drama. Had to defer the 8000HD delivery until saturday. I'll report then.

Thanks for the PBS HD info. Are you sure it's 4:2:0? What are you using to receive it?

Poopoo once again on FedEx. Fetching parcels with them is always a drama. Had to defer the 8000HD delivery until saturday. I'll report then.

Thanks for the PBS HD info. Are you sure it's 4:2:0? What are you using to receive it?

the "I beleive" part is because I dont know for sure ;) as I dont have anything setup right now to test it with. If I can ever get my plasma to play nice with my linux computer then I'll try out my twinhan vp-1020 on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts