Coolsat8100HD vs. Sonicview8000hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gwemor

Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Guys I'm looking to buy an HD box this weekend I just need to know which of these two is the best. Please let me know if you know of a better HD receiver than these two.
-I need blindscan
-Motor with USALS
-Atleast a week EPG
-PVR
Thanks.

coolsat doesnt have blindscan, sv does, many users report it works well, it didnt work very well for me.

almost no truefta has epg data, none have a weeks worth

sv's pvr functionality is more like a vcr then what most people would assume a pvr should be able todo. I dont know about coolsats.

coolsat doesnt have blindscan, sv does, many users report it works well, it didnt work very well for me.

sv's pvr functionality is more like a vcr then what most people would assume a pvr should be able todo. I dont know about coolsats.
Does the Sonicview support MPEG4 OTA or any MPEG4 format? What's the biggest hard driver that I can use with the Sonnicview?

Does the Sonicview support MPEG4 OTA or any MPEG4 format? What's the biggest hard driver that I can use with the Sonnicview?

As an owner of the SV8000, I can tell you that 500 gigs is suppose to be the largest and I can attest to that, but never tried a larger one. It does support MPEG4 (QPSK) (I tried a test channel that was FTA at the time) EPG for FTA is not going to happen on ANY box, very few channels broadcast the info, only subscribed services do. There are MANY bugs in the SV8000, and unfortunately, the only people that are fixing it are the hackers since I called SV and reported all the bugs that I found and they do not seem to be too anxious to fix them, its too bad.

Jim

Guys I bought the sonicview 8000hd and I shoulld say I'm highly unimpressed.
- The SD quality is very bad compared to my pansat2500. I couldn't find any HD channel for testing!
- The PVR only allows you to record and view later. It doesn't pause live TV and resume. It won't allow you to record programs that have already started.
- The box freezes every now and then and no remote key will work. Except the on and off button at the back of the receiver. It usually doesn't recognise the USB drive and you have to format it before the receiver can recognize it again.
-- The the only plus is the setup of the box is very easy to follow!

If you have the Invacom quad go to Nimiq2 (82W) and do a free scan. There is a HD channel in the clear (the HD demo channel)

The blind scan did work for me. The only thing is after the scan it goes to the last channel you were watching most likely on a different bird. These guys really shouldn't be advertising their boc as a PVR.

If you have the Invacom quad go to Nimiq2 (82W) and do a free scan. There is a HD channel in the clear (the HD demo channel)
Ok the HD looks good but how many HD channels can I get. I really hope the quality on the SD was better. I'm going to try and return the box but I doubt whether the seller will take it back.

SD was much lower quality on the SV8000 then on my dreambox. I noticed that as well :(

87 also has two HD channels, both PBS, one as far as Ive seen is allways color bars. but its highdeff color bars, lol.

I agree the unit should not be advertised as a PVR, its a VCR, not a PVR.

okay, that's two strikes . . .

Very sad to read all the negative press here about the Sonicview .
As I recall, another forum member got a different Sonicview PVR back around the first of the year.
Even after at least one flash update, his was so bad he didn't keep it, either.
I believe one of the complaints had to do with the USB hard drive.

You'd think this company could engineer a better product... or buy from someone who can.

The quaility of the SD is not that bad, IMO, via HDMI, it blows the coolsat 5k away. But it really should because of the all digital output of the HDMI.

I saw a SV8000 for the first time over the weekend. Only saw PBS in HD, but the SD PBS stuff up there looked fine to me. Just as I usually see.

As for PVR stuff, well yeah, it's a crappy setup and advertised incorrectly.

Motor control works very well for the time that I saw it. Blind scan seemed to work just fine on G17, AMC3, G10r. It's kind of slow though.
I didn't like the remote layoout with the rocker buttons for a couple of the fuctions. That just a personal taste though.

Perhaps stupid questions, but...

on the 8100HD, is it possible to catch NTSC channels over the ATSC tuner? ... that would be pretty handy with a PVR...

Also rumor has it that "newer coolsat HD boxes have BlindScan"... would that be true?

And finally, is the Coolsat 8100HD DVB-S2 compatible?

Sadly I think the only way to fix many bugs in the Sonic view is to flash it with a hacker code, I read that a member on another forum had to do this and now it works much better, according to him he is using it for legal fta, if you don't want to do this, since you mite be tempted to tune in the dbs birds try to return the unit and give the new HD receivers another month or two, or get a dvb pci card.

If you want real fta go with Pansat, Traxis, Fortec, Coolsat the others are mostly for the other part of the market.

Sadly I think the only way to fix many bugs in the Sonic view is to flash it with a hacker code, I read that a member on another forum had to do this and now it works much better, according to him he is using it for legal fta, if you don't want to do this, since you mite be tempted to tune in the dbs birds try to return the unit and give the new HD receivers another month or two, or get a dvb pci card.

If you want real fta go with Pansat, Traxis, Fortec, Coolsat the others are mostly for the other part of the market.

Even sadder still is that I bet the "hacker" software is being written by the manufacturer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)