Cord-cutting at What Data Cost?

By their own admission, the average Comcast customer is using around 60GB of data per month. Only 1% go above 1TB.

Right when Comcast announced the increase to 1TB it was reported that 17% of Comcast's Customers that lived in the test area were going over the cap per month.

Right when Comcast announced the increase to 1TB it was reported that 17% of Comcast's Customers that lived in the test area were going over the cap per month.
An utterly failed experiment.

Since the 1TB test was to begin on June 1st, I harbor doubts that the test is complete.

Mediacom caps at 350 for its 50mbps service and 1TB for its 100mbps service. Figuring 3GB per hour of HD streaming I'd have to stream 11 hours per day to reach the limit, right? Including sports, movies and TV shows?

Reactions: andy_horton
Has anyone researched what a month of streaming TV -- aka cord-cutting -- eats up in data used?

On average 450gb a month.

I play a bit of Xbox One...the little guy watches up to 1hour of Netflix a day (15 minutes morning, 15 minutes before bed etc). The lady busts the cap on s*** like Sex in the City, Gilmour Girls, Gossip Girl, Vampire whatever....and HGTV all the bloody time.

Figuring 3GB per hour of HD streaming I'd have to stream 11 hours per day to reach the limit, right?
Perhaps for a one viewer household who's only Internet activity was streaming non-linear HD television. Live TV typically requires more bandwidth as real-time compression usually isn't as effective as the schemes used for long-term storage and large-scale transmission. Not all the content you see on the Internet is compressed with the diligence that Netflix and YouTube exercise.

I visited a heavy equipment website the other day that was using uncompressed BMP images (perhaps some manner of Word, Front Page or Expression malfeasance?). The average image size was around 13MB.

I am at 331 gb used with 13 days left in the cycle. If our usage holds steady, we will hit 575 gb out of our 600 gb cap, and I can not see our usage getting any higher than that. If so, I may look into the unlimited option for $30.

Looking back, I will be right at where my guess was on our usage.

Update---- It's the 26th and I am the only one in the home. I watch a lot of Sling and some Netflix and a little Pandora. From the first thru now I'm at nearly 470GB
Be glad you're not streaming much 4K video! I hit a higher mark than that most months even with Dish subscription in place.

A related question: What internet download speed do most of you have? And is it adequate for what you stream? (Little or no buffering; clear, sharp picture that doesn't appear "flat," etc.)

I've got uverse 18 down 2 up.

I have zero issues with multiple streams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Be glad you're not streaming much 4K video! I hit a higher mark than that most months even with Dish subscription in place.

Our router says we are a tad over 400GBs this month, catching up on a lot of stuff both in 4K and 1080P, just watched the first 9 of GOT on HBO Go, I could of watched it on the X1 but get real 1080P and Dolby Digital Plus on the Roku.

When we leased a modem from Comcast, the online meter was always double what our router said we used.

A related question: What internet download speed do most of you have? And is it adequate for what you stream? (Little or no buffering; clear, sharp picture that doesn't appear "flat," etc.)
I have 75 down (actually hit 80 most of the time) and about 20 up. The only time it buffers is when there is a problem with either Comcast or Sling. Normally no pixelation or buffering issues. I use an Ethernet cable, but also have used my 5ghz Wi-Fi and it's worked just as well

I have not watched football with vue yet, but baseball and basketball appear sat quality with my devices and internet.
I've found that MLB and NHL streaming appear to be sat quality, but NBA and NBCSN (all off Roku) had a flatness to them; clear but resembled watching film. That, the data usage and no locals available in my area so far are keeping me corded to Mediacom.

I havent actually watched sports using the roku vue app, it is possible that there is a difference there in some way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)