Cord cutting still subpar

Forgot that I'm also taking the Dish Movie Pack currently. And there's a $.03 FCC fee. So $33.02

0F47434C-E610-44E7-BA8F-F3D20E7CA13D.png

Being able to use the same DVR for all your channels ? Yttv allows me to do that.
I mean for channels that you get through other services. YTTV's cloud DVR doesn't grab stuff that one subscribes to Fubo for as an example. Building the perfect combination (arguably necessary at some level given the current OTT offerings) isn't particularly seamless and that's okay, but it needs to be clearly identified as a "cost" of a particular configuration that perhaps a different approach handles more gracefully (less of a distraction to the overall viewing experience).

With YouTube TV it's 9 months I think.

Vue is 28 days, or used to be. Others vary

Those times get extended if the show or movie is rebroadcast, even if on a different channel, depending on how the recording is set up and the service you use. And if the show/movie cycles off with the expiration date, it comes back to your list after it's rebroadcast.

I question that "cloud DVR" service is all that for purposes other than time-shifting.
Another advantage of a cloud DVR worth mentioning is that you never have to worry about local utility (power or internet) or service outages interfering with recordings. During the worldwide YouTube outage on Tuesday, I had three important shows set to record that night, and I was able to watch all of them this week without any problems (none of them had been rebroadcast yet).

And obviously with a cloud DVR, you never have to worry about an HDD failure wiping out all your recorded content.

Reactions: Ronnie-
I mean for channels that you get through other services. YTTV's cloud DVR doesn't grab stuff that one subscribes to Fubo for as an example. Building the perfect combination (arguably necessary at some level given the current OTT offerings) isn't particularly seamless and that's okay, but it needs to be clearly identified as a "cost" of a particular configuration that perhaps a different approach handles more gracefully (less of a distraction to the overall viewing experience).

Several years ago when I had both Dish Network and Cox (Dish didn't carry my RSN and other locals), I don't recall their DVRs "grabbing" stuff on each other's service for my convenience. Why should that be expected of an OTT live TV service? It's totally unreasonable to expect YouTube TV's DVR to work seamlessly with PS Vue or Fubo. Bottom line: If one needs to combine OTT live TV services (I don't and I know many others who don't), and the combing of services proves too inconvenient, then using those services probably isn't for that person.

Reactions: Ronnie-
Storage time limits on a cloud DVR are a major failure IMO. I'd rather mirror a failing HDD than lose any recorded movies.

There is no storage limit on YouTube TV's DVR, just a time limit. For me, if I don't watch something I've recorded within two weeks of recording, I usually don't watch it. For almost a decade, I put up with a 20-hour HD DVR from my cable company, so I have no concept of holding on to recorded content for any length of time.

There is no storage limit on YouTube TV's DVR, just a time limit. For me, if I don't watch something I've recorded within two weeks of recording, I usually don't watch it. For almost a decade, I put up with a 20-hour HD DVR from my cable company, so I have no concept of holding on to recorded content for any length of time.

I said storage time limit. I'm glad it works for you; my point is it's not for everyone. I keep movies for years.

Reactions: Zookster
I mean for channels that you get through other services. YTTV's cloud DVR doesn't grab stuff that one subscribes to Fubo for as an example.

I am trying to understand what you are asking, it reads like you are criticizing that you cannot use one OTT company DVR to record another OTT company's content?

Buying your own space (say 1gb for $25/yr.) would be a nice Youtube DVR option. Where any recordings could be kept permanently (or as long as you pay).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zookster
It amazes me how some people come here to criticize Sling, YouTube TV and other internet type tv services and it’s obvious they have never even done a free trial with any of these services.
I have learned that some people think we are liars when we like these services better than cable or satellite.
Another thing I’ve learned is that these people can’t wait for the day when prices rise and will not be a bargain anymore.
Truth is YouTube TV has enhanced my tv watching.
I wouldn’t go back to cable or satellite now because it has ruined me. Ruined me not by the price (I know I know it’s going to catch up with other paid tv services, haha,
Please send me a link where cable sat will have a price freeze for the next several years) but because of the experience. Easy to use and pq is equal to Directv and hands down better than Dish and cable.

It amazes me how some people come here to criticize Sling, YouTube TV and other internet type tv services and it’s obvious they have never even done a free trial with any of these services.
I have learned that some people think we are liars when we like these services better than cable or satellite.
Another thing I’ve learned is that these people can’t wait for the day when prices rise and will not be a bargain anymore.
Truth is YouTube TV has enhanced my tv watching.
I wouldn’t go back to cable or satellite now because it has ruined me. Ruined me not by the price (I know I know it’s going to catch up with other paid tv services, haha,
Please send me a link where cable sat will have a price freeze for the next several years) but because of the experience. Easy to use and pq is equal to Directv and hands down better than Dish and cable.

Hope you aren't referring to me; I have YTTV and Dish.

As I said in another post around here somewhere, if I won the lottery, even a billion dollars, I would stick with OTT (maybe have two or more) just so I don't have to deal with hard-wiring multiple boxes to multiple rooms of my new mansion if I wanted to get a high-quality picture on any TV/montior, not to mention the convenience of never having to manage my storage (on YTTV) by deleting stuff to make room for recording every college football game tomorrow (if I wanted).

Last edited:
Reactions: tigerfan33
When I had dish or DirecTV, their DVRs didn't record outside of their own system either.

Not sure why that's a minus for a cloud based recorder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Seems like OTT cloud DVRs are all over the place. Sling lets you keep recordings "forever," but you are limited to 50 hours for some reason.
They really are. Each is trying their own thing with them at this point.

I prefer the yttv method, with Vue being a close second. Of course this is based in my own usage and needs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts