correct mast size for 75e dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
Hello I have a 75e dish and bought a slimline 2'' mount for side of house and it must be 1/2 inch to small. Really sucks. Anything I can do to make this work? All I can think of is exhaust pipe and a welder or house mount for a 1.2 meter dish. Problem is all the mounts I find are really expensive.

Hardware store or home supply type store might have 2" fence posts that can be cut, drilled, and made into a mount.

Hardware store or home supply type store might have 2" fence posts that can be cut, drilled, and made into a mount.
Um.. I must not have been clear in my description. The satellite dish will mount on nothing smaller than 2 1/4 - 2/12. The slimline mount is already 2 inches. So a 2" fence post would be the same size unless the post is 2 inches inner diameter. In witch would still likely be to small. So my question is how could I step up from 2 to 2 1/2? Or could someone point me in the direction of an affordable 1.2 meter mount for side of house install? Used or new.

Buy a 2 1/2" chain link fence post?
well, that would work if I was mounting it on the ground. I can buy a peice of 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe just short enough for the existing pipe mast. Problem is getting something to work as an adapter. From 2" to 2 1/2. Ideally I wanted to offset a 4 foot chain link fence post about 12 inches off the side wall of my house. I just couldn't find brackets sturdy enough.

I am wondering if I could mount a motor on the slimline mount and then get an adapter for the motor big enough to fit the 75e star band dish, of course I don't think a sg2100 could candle the weight. Or possibly use a piece of 2 " inch pvc and cut it down the side and use the pvc as a sleeve between the 75 e star-band dish and the slimline mount.

$30 or $40 a local shop will weld a set of these up for you out of some scrap angle iron. Buy a can of Rust-oleum spray paint, 8 lag bolts, a dozen flat washers and two 2 1/2" x4" U-bolts. Better than any J-bracket on the market.

Wall Stand-Off.jpg

Reactions: glover31
$30 or $40 a local shop will weld a set of these up for you out of some scrap angle iron. Buy a can of Rust-oleum spray paint, 8 lag bolts, a dozen flat washers and two 2 1/2" x4" U-bolts. Better than any J-bracket on the market.

View attachment 109879
neat! My half brother is a welder. Maybe I will ask him. I am going to see if I can find a mast to mast adapter. If not this is a great Idea. Thanks titanium.

UPDATE:

I ended up doing the following: I bought a 8 inch by 2 inch conduit adapter for electric meter boxes. The 2 inch diameter is measured from inside. The outer diameter comes out to be somewhere between 2 and 1/4 to 2 and 3/8. Perfect. I bought 2 galvanized 3/8 bolts washers nuts and lock washers. I drilled through both the 8" x 2 " conduit and the j pipe for the satellite dish and place the holes in opposite orientation and 1/2 inch to 3/4 apart. I couldn't drill end to end. Pipe would not slide inside dish with bolt heads sticking out. It worked out good. Its all bolted up. All that is left is to install on house. which brings me to a bizarre issue with aiming the dish.
I am aiming for galaxy 19. As you might know the lnb does not have skew adjustment. The dish itself has skew on the back side by loosening the 4 nuts. It has a degree mark. When setting the dish skew to the lnb skew setting for my location according to geosatfinder.com aiming at galaxy 19, the parameters are 217.1 compass / elevation 37.6 / lnbf rotation +19.6 .Now, the dish itself is turned on a 90 degree angle. So... sideways. That cant be right, Can it?

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST
UPDATE:

I ended up doing the following: I bought a 8 inch by 2 inch conduit adapter for electric meter boxes. The 2 inch diameter is measured from inside. The outer diameter comes out to be somewhere between 2 and 1/4 to 2 and 3/8. Perfect. I bought 2 galvanized 3/8 bolts washers nuts and lock washers. I drilled through both the 8" x 2 " conduit and the j pipe for the satellite dish and place the holes in opposite orientation and 1/2 inch to 3/4 apart. I couldn't drill end to end. Pipe would not slide inside dish with bolt heads sticking out. It worked out good. Its all bolted up. All that is left is to install on house. which brings me to a bizarre issue with aiming the dish.
I am aiming for galaxy 19. As you might know the lnb does not have skew adjustment. The dish itself has skew on the back side by loosening the 4 nuts. It has a degree mark. When setting the dish skew to the lnb skew setting for my location according to geosatfinder.com aiming at galaxy 19, the parameters are 217.1 compass / elevation 37.6 / lnbf rotation +19.6 .Now, the dish itself is turned on a 90 degree angle. So... sideways. That cant be right, Can it?
Take a look at this manual: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/GlobeCast/75e_new_manual.pdf
If this is your dish model (75e) then use the skew setting listed in the back of the manual for your location. If your exact latitude and longitude are not listed you will need to estimate between the figures given. This should at least get you in the ballpark. :)

Reactions: glover31
Take a look at this manual: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/GlobeCast/75e_new_manual.pdf
If this is your dish model (75e) then use the skew setting listed in the back of the manual for your location. If your exact latitude and longitude are not listed you will need to estimate between the figures given. This should at least get you in the ballpark. :)

Based on the Pdf for this sat, I am still coming up with a sideways satellite dish. My location is 14739 for zip code. 30 east water st N.Y

Attachments

• figures.pdf
    271.3 KB · Views: 176
  • lat long.pdf
    420.5 KB · Views: 178
Could you maybe post a few pics that show how your dish looks when skewed according to the chart (also a pic of the skew adjustment and setting on the back of the dish). :)

Just looking at one of my adjustable dishes, think the way they are built you can adjust the skew on the dish without affecting aim so much...(to a point depending on how much the skew adjustment clamp causes the dish to be loose on it's skew axis when not tightened). That way you should be able to set it for maximum signal.

oh........ that makes more sense. I was setting it to 19.6. Not 109.6. Thanks! I work on it tonight.
O.K. Last night sucked....... First. the setting for the skew, I figured it out to be 90Degree skew the dish is strait. Thank you titanium. However the adjustment is + not _. So... The skew that is called for based on my location and zip code being 19.6, comes out to be 90 degrees - 19.6. So 70.4. Whew.... At least I thought. On to the nightmare. Elevation set to 37.6 initially. Aimed at 217.1. Nothing. In fact.......After 3 hours... Of adjusting elevation, skew, getting out the sat meter, checking cables, resetting my new geosat receiver that keeps freezing and blinking numbers at me, I finally " but barley" hit a satellite. It was pay tv. So everything scrambled. I must be off to the right by 10 or less degree's. But I cant pick up any signal. GUESS WHAT? no feed horn. Didn't know I needed one. UGG! Dont know if I can make one or what. I have a universal lnbf somewhere, I will have to look, but I was not sure if they would work well with this dish. MAYBE untill I get a feedhorn?
My question is this, Is not having a feed horn likely what is causing me to have no signal. The sat I did pick up " pay tv" was only a 6 on my meter. 37 percent on receiver. By the way I will eventually post pictures.

A picture at this point would be worth far more than a thousand words.

What do you mean "no feedhorn"? What is mounted in the feedhorn position that the coax is connected to? What is the LNB(f) model and frequency? Matching the LNB LO in the receiver menu? Have the receiver set to an active transponder frequency?

A picture at this point would be worth far more than a thousand words.

What do you mean "no feed horn"? What is mounted in the feed horn position that the coax is connected to? What is the LNB(f) model and frequency? Matching the LNB LO in the receiver menu? Have the receiver set to an active transponder frequency?
The lnb, Is a Eagle Apen 270 MODEL lea270ku. Input Freq: 11.7-12.2. Output Freq: 950-1450.
As far as an ACTIVE transponder, I am not sure. I mean the receiver has like 4 channels pre programmed in on galaxy 19. EXAMPLE : rtv. But have the transponders changed? Don't know. I am trying to blind scan. YES. most definitely I have changed transponders. No change.

NO feed horn means : There is no feed horn attached. Blue ring like c-band. notta. nothing. was told I needed one. That this was a lnb not a lnbf.

Good, correct LNBF! Be sure the receiver' LO frequency is set to 10750.

You were informed correctly, the LNB requires a feedhorn and scalar. Not sure how a LNB could be mounted on the 75e without the feedhorn and scalar. Surprised that anything was received! Definitely want to see a photo of how this is mounted. You either need to also install the proper feedhorn/scalar or replace with a LNBF.

The receiver will not display Signal Quality unless it is placed on an active transponder. On G19 KU, I recommend using transponder frequency 12152 / Polarity Horizontal / Symbol Rate 20000 as a good active transponder to locate G19. Sweeping the sky and Blind Scanning is a very slow and difficult way to locate a satellite. Like you, I would also be very frustrated with this method.

Reactions: KE4EST
Good, correct LNBF! Be sure the receiver' LO frequency is set to 10750.

You were informed correctly, the LNB requires a feed horn and scalar. Not sure how a LNB could be mounted on the 75e without the feed horn and scalar. Surprised that anything was received! Definitely want to see a photo of how this is mounted. You either need to also install the proper feed horn/scalar or replace with a LNBF.

The receiver will not display Signal Quality unless it is placed on an active transponder. On G19 KU, I recommend using transponder frequency 12152 / Polarity Horizontal / Symbol Rate 20000 as a good active transponder to locate G19. Sweeping the sky and Blind Scanning is a very slow and difficult way to locate a satellite. Like you, I would also be very frustrated with this method.
YEAH.
I am going to have to wait for the feed horn and scalar to come in the mail. So in the mean time I will use a universal lnbf " l-cheepo" that I allready have. If I have to I can zip tie it through the bolt holes. By the way...... What is causing the receiver to freeze. Meaning.... Just like a computer. Froze.. buttons do nothing. Constantly have to reset receiver with switch in back. It sometimes flashes numbers 095. 0 9 5 . This is with or without any cables attached to the receiver. Its worrying me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts