correct mast size for 75e dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You already have a feedhorn/scalar. The bronze color feedhorn/scalar attached to the LNB is all you need. It appears to be the correct scalar for the elliptical shaped 75e reflector. The blue conical scalar is not appropriate or suitable for this project. Maybe another member with a 75e could comment and post a few photos of their feed hardware?

Could you show a photo of the feedhorn clamp provided with the 75e? Maybe you don't have the correct mount for the feedhorn hardware that you are trying to mount?

It might be as simple as removing the plastic shroud from the universal LNBF and securing it in the plastic riser clamp in the earlier photo.

Titanium is right that blue scalar is for C-Band and is doing you no good with that dish. If you are getting something with it and nothing with out, it is just that it may somehow be helping channel the signal in since you most likely have the eagle mounted wrong. Whomever told you, you have to have a C-Band Scalar to work with Ku-Band signals, sadly is misinformed themselves and is leading you down the wrong path of more frustration.
With out a proper mount for that LNBF, you will need to fashion one and experiment to find the sweet spot.
That Eagle aspen will work great with that dish as I have done it in the past, with one of those dishes. I do not have any photos to show you, but it will work good. Once you find the "sweet" spot and figure out a way to mount that LNBF on the riser(or make your own). Mount it at 90°(0 as indicated on the LNBF) and skew the whole dish with the scale in the back of it to whatever skew you need.

Last edited:
the eagle aspen bolts on directly. without a hitch. It just doesn't do anything. IN fact, Like many lnbs that are with power connected I should be able to make the meter think its getting signal by placing my hand directly in front of the lnb. It doesn't even do that. Its like the lnb is dead. All I can say is that I have about 5+ hours total trying to find even a faint signal. Nothing. My first though was that maybe the eagle had capability to be adjusted. I mean... what are the skew marks for? If it only bolts on. The thing is . This lnb "eagle aspen" , if looking at it when mounted, looks like its at 70 degrees. Not 0. I thought to myself. whaaaaat? But I could figure a way to adjust it. YEAH. If someone would post some pictures of how to adjust it and or pics of current working dish with eagle mounted that would be great.

I'll post some pics tomorrow! I have a 75E pointed at 97/93. I have the shaw quad output on it now, but I'll put my old bandstacked beer can lnb on it. This will be similar to what you have. My skew/elevation are somewhat similar to yours.

Catamount

Reactions: Titanium
Here is my info from dishpointer:

Elevation: 28.3°
Azimuth (true): 221.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 238.8°
LNB Skew [?]: 27.1°
Turn clockwise standing behind the dish

Elevation is set to 30 on my dish and skew to 29 degrees. So it is very close to dishpointer. My feedhorn/scaler is different because it is designed for two satellites.

75E 001.JPG 75E 003.JPG 75E 004.JPG elev 001.JPG

And I'll add that there is a line on the LNBF that indicates vertical orientation. If setting skew with the dish mount, set LNB rotation at zero.
it can only be set at what it is, It bolts on and thats it. it does not turn. nothing else that can be done here but bolt it on.

Bolt on the LNB/feedhorn/scalar and rotate your dish so when standing in front of the dish, the left side is lower than the right (behind the dish = clockwise. I still believe the correct dish mount skew rotation is 109.5 (90+19.5).

Make sure that the LNB is mounted so the vertical probe is vertical and the horizontal is horizontal. It is possible to rotate these in 90 steps for 360 degree rotation.

I agree with Catamount - The best LNB for that dish would be a ShawDirect / Starchoice LNB - 75e Ku - but not 75e xKu
But having said that, 75cm would be bare minimum for most FTA.

I just took a look at my 83e lnb feed horn(holder) and it's identical to yours. Loosen the 4 bolts aimed towards the LNB and it will (should) allow adjusting the skew. Bolts and clamps 'capture' a flange on the feed. Your skew looks to be at about 45 degrees.
same.jpg

Reactions: KE4EST
I just took a look at my 83e lnb feed horn(holder) and it's identical to yours. Loosen the 4 bolts aimed towards the LNB and it will (should) allow adjusting the skew. Bolts and clamps 'capture' a flange on the feed. Your skew looks to be at about 45 degrees.
View attachment 110174
hmmm... I do in fact have 4 screws. Nothing changed when I loosened them last time. I will look and try again. I agree the skew looked way off on that lnbf setting. If all else fail's I am going to go with either bullet lnb'f and have multi lnb set up or a single geosat pll standard lnb. Hopefully we can get the one that belongs on it up and going.

I guess I was speaking on terms of reliability with current dish size and based on experience of those who have tried and there success. Maybe some pics of others installs of 4 or more lnbf on a dish of this size or type and what was done to achieve good signal even in snowy weather like me.

75e is pretty small for 24/7 reliability. My 'normal' 70cm dishes are affected by thick heavy clouds. Additional LNBF's on a dish never work as well as the one in the sweet spot. (there is only one focal point)
75e has more area than my 70cm dishes so should have a bit more gain, (IF you use the proper feed) Performance really drops off when using a normal FTA LNBF.
My 83e didn't out perform a 70cm with one. Now it really shines with the proper feed.

75e is pretty small for 24/7 reliability. My 'normal' 70cm dishes are affected by thick heavy clouds. Additional LNBF's on a dish never work as well as the one in the sweet spot. (there is only one focal point)
75e has more area than my 70cm dishes so should have a bit more gain, (IF you use the proper feed) Performance really drops off when using a normal FTA LNBF.
My 83e didn't out perform a 70cm with one. Now it really shines with the proper feed.
So..Let me see if I got this strait. In the "sweet spot", A standard bullet lnbf from Geosat or phase locked loop would be out performed by the eagle aspen?

Most likely as the LNBF's have a scalar that's 'flat' circular to illuminate a 'normal' offset dish. They will only illuminate the central portion of an elliptical dish. The eagle aspen is attached to a feedhorn designed to illuminate the entire elliptical dish.

Most likely as the LNBF's have a scalar that's 'flat' circular to illuminate a 'normal' offset dish. They will only illuminate the central portion of an elliptical dish. The eagle aspen is attached to a feedhorn designed to illuminate the entire elliptical dish.
O.K. Then I would assume that a mega multi lnb install on a larger offset dish of 36" or a toroidal dish would not perform well in snowy weather because the lnb's would not fully illuminate the entire dish? Does this mean I should use only eagle aspen type lnbf for additional sats?

Status
Please reply by conversation.