Costco loads up on BD and HD-DVD players

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Costco's price on the Samsung BD1400 is $449. This unit does have an ethenet connection. This player really looks nice. And from what I have read it is a 1.1 compliant player.

Costco's price on the Toshiba A3-D3 is $249. Another nice looking player.

I wish that they would hook both of these up so that one could check them out closer. These are not bad deals. And yes I wish that the Samsung player was closer in price to the Toshiba but both are still pretty good deals.

Costco's price on the Samsung BD1400 is $449. This unit does have an ethenet connection. This player really looks nice. And from what I have read it is a 1.1 compliant player.

I don't think so. The first 1.1 player from Samsung will be the dual format and then only after the update in late January.

S~

The BD1400 is not profile 1.1. There is an ethernet connection, but it is for updates only (but it's still nice to have that). There was an update to software version 1.1, which may have inadvertently created some confusion over the profile.

I wish that they would hook both of these up so that one could check them out closer. These are not bad deals. And yes I wish that the Samsung player was closer in price to the Toshiba but both are still pretty good deals.
They are going to lose loads of money dusting those BD standalones on the shelves. I wouldnt even bother carrying them. :rolleyes:

read much?

The BD1400 is not profile 1.1. There is an ethernet connection, but it is for updates only (but it's still nice to have that).

I don't think so. The first 1.1 player from Samsung will be the dual format and then only after the update in late January.

S~

Maybe its not the reading part but the comprehension that is a problem for you?

I don't care about the lack of a the 1400 being 1.1 compliant. I owned 2 different ones for 1 week. I thought the first one was defective, got a different one, same crap. The player is a total piece of junk IMO. It couldn't even handle regulard DVD's without turning off or stopping randomly throughout the movies.

Don't get me started on the BD movies that played even worse.

I don't care about the lack of a the 1400 being 1.1 compliant. I owned 2 different ones for 1 week. I thought the first one was defective, got a different one, same crap. The player is a total piece of junk IMO. It couldn't even handle regulard DVD's without turning off or stopping randomly throughout the movies.

Don't get me started on the BD movies that played even worse.

Funny that the rep was in a couple weeks ago. We were all talking about 1.1 players. He said, "we'll put something out, but it will probably be crap." I look at all the threads about their players, returns/openboxes at all of the BMs and completely understand. I'll stick w/the Panasonic. Just received my BD30 yesterday and am waiting to get my Integra back from having its upgrades done. Better be back Monday/Tuesday.

S~

That Panny BD30 does sound promising. Outside of the PS3, I looked at the BD10 but opted for the Sam 1400 thinking MAYBE they figured it out. Alas I was wrong.
Every company has some issues now and then, but I Samsung is making quite a track-record for themselves.

They are going to lose loads of money dusting those BD standalones on the shelves. I wouldnt even bother carrying them. :rolleyes:

Costco cuts deals with manufacturers that allow them to carry certain products at below market prices for a short period of time, maybe 6 to 9 months. The manufacturer is the one taking the hit, not the stores. If you look at the BD player model, it is the BDP301, not 300 so most big box retailers won't price match and thus the consumer is driven to Costco.

For once I agree with you. I don't know why anyone looking for a BD player would get anything other than the PS3 at this point... it's the best and the cheapest.

This is the nicest or most nuetral thing you have said:) about HD-DVD

For once I agree with you. I don't know why anyone looking for a BD player would get anything other than the PS3 at this point... it's the best and the cheapest.
And it has the best chance of being updated. I think you have to be incredibly foolish to buy a BD standalone when most BD standalones do not comply with final specs, profiles or whatever.... IMO the PS3 is the safest bet at this point.

Lately, Costco's prices on electronics are HORRIBLE. I have found many items for much less on Amazon, with free shipping, and most importantly, no sales tax.

Gone are the days of real savings on electronics at Costco.
(The same goes for DVD's.)

Lately, Costco's prices on electronics are HORRIBLE. I have found many items for much less on Amazon, with free shipping, and most importantly, no sales tax.

Gone are the days of real savings on electronics at Costco.
(The same goes for DVD's.)

Anyone know if its the same story at Sams Club?

Anyone know if its the same story at Sams Club?
Isnt the real attraction of Sams Club or Costco (I forgot which one) that they double the warranties and let you return TV's and such for years? Thats worth more than saving a few bucks on Amazon IMO. ANd you can't drive a TV back to the Amazon.com store for return. LOL

Isnt the real attraction of Sams Club or Costco (I forgot which one) that they double the warranties and let you return TV's and such for years? Thats worth more than saving a few bucks on Amazon IMO. ANd you can't drive a TV back to the Amazon.com store for return. LOL

Costco use to have a VERY liberal return policy but it was changed to 90 days for return.

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)