Costco loads up on BD and HD-DVD players

Lately, Costco's prices on electronics are HORRIBLE. I have found many items for much less on Amazon, with free shipping, and most importantly, no sales tax.

Gone are the days of real savings on electronics at Costco.
(The same goes for DVD's.)

I have to agree, Costco is no longer is any deal for electronics, and the 8.85% sales tax in Tucson is a deal killer for me. I've been considering the Samsung 1400 and had it my Amazon Cart Saved items to watch the price, so when I saw it at Costco last week for $449 I wasn't impressed as it was around $400 on Amazon (down to $370 today for those interested). I recently bought an A35 HD DVD player from Amazon, and was very impressed the service. I paid around $12 for standard shipping (they offer free shipping, but much slower); ordered over the weekend and it was delivered Wednesday via UPS Ground, double boxed. I paid around $407 for it, but still had in my Cart Saved items to track the price. A few days after I bought I thought the price had dropped to $387; it was actually an Amazon Marketplace dealer that had that price. But, I emailed Amazon about the price drop, and they immediately credited my CC for the $40 price difference. :up

But, for those of you considering a BD player, I went back to being "format neutral" with the Panasonic BD-30 player. The first BD player with BD 1.1 "Final" Profile, and it supports HBR bitstream audio output - like my A35 - for outputting DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio to a receiver like the Onkyo 605 & 805 for decoding. A big improvement, IMHO. Circuit City has the BD-30 "on sale" for $499, down from the MSRP of $599. I used a CC 10% discount coupon (purchased on eBay for $1.40 :p) to knock it down to $450 and cover the sales tax and gasoline. I ordered at CC online with in-store pickup; they offer free shipping, but have to charge the tax, so why wait?.

I like the Panny BD player much better than the PS3 I had; it's almost as good as my Tosh A35. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)