BD players now outselling HD-DVD players?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Seems standalone BD players are now outselling HD-DVD players for some retailers. How long will it be before BD standalones overtake HD-DVD's hugh lead?

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6467868

Other interesting news from this site is:

"In June, Bjorn’s sold more high-def players than standard-def DVD players. Ultimate reports that high-def unit sales currently make up around 40% of the overall DVD player category."

Seems that some retailers are starting to see HD sales improving dramatically. How soon before we start to see a shift for all retailers towards HD sales?

Saw that, did you? :p

I wondered how long it would take before you'd post it! ;)

Blu-ray prices must come down

If you look at Amazon.com, the stand alone HD DVD players outsell the blu-rays. In some stores, such as my local electronics store, blu-ray might outsell HD DVD because of the way they market. They have the blu-ray display set up in a prime location with the blu-ray feeding a 61" 1080P TV while they have the HD-DVD display in the back feeding a 34" 720P TV.

Performance wise there is very little difference between the 2 formats. The big difference is that stand alone HD DVD players sell for about 60% the price of blu-rays while Sony seems to effectively charge about $100 for the built-in Playstation 3 blu-ray player and the addon X-Box HD DVD player is $170. If the current price advantage of the HD DVD stand alone players continues and the price continues to drop, the sales of the HD DVD players should really take off. If the stand alone blu-ray prices continue to be lofty, blu-ray might well become the endangered species. Also if good games arrive for the PS3 during the next year, the PS3 usage might change from playing blu-ray DVDs to playing games.

I will probably buy one or the other this fall. With the current pricing, it will be HD-DVD and I will obtain SD DVDs for the titles that are not available in the HD DVD format. SD DVDs look very good on my Sammy DLP, so I will not loose a lot by not being able to obtain some titles in HD-DVD. This fall will be interesting in the format war. If stand alone blu-ray players can compete price-wise with stand alone HD-DVD players, blu-ray will probably prevail. If the present price ratio for stand alone players continues, HD-DVD might prevail.

I think you will see a sub $400 BD player this XMAS. Possibly close to the $300 range. At that level and with the great titles coming out for BD this fall it is not Bd who is going to have a tough road. HD-DVD needs to get some traction with the main players in the BD camp and with Sony projected to have close to 6 million PS3s in homes in the USA and with so many new BD players coming out I don't see how the 3 or 4 HD-DVD players are going to command the market - especially when you have to search to find them in the stores they are selling at.

Why even at Circuit City who currently is backing HD-DVD when you enter the store you first see a PS3 kiosk in most of their stores. The HD-DVD is back in the tv department and does not even face the entrance. This type of display by HD-DVD is not going to win in the end. They must start stepping it up and now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)