Could someone explain technical benefits of TurboHD's compression characteristics?

1080p 24fps is an ATSC standard. OTA broadcasters can send it out anytime they want to. However it would cause flicker viewed natively. Ever watched Pal 50hz- 25 fps, very noticeable. Even the theaters double flash every frame, 48fps, to reduce flicker. I doubt if any Dish receivers output 24fps 1080p but they must accept it. I'd watch their 1080p VOD if I could subscribe to it like Netflix- monthly all you can watch fee. I'd get it instead of a premium channel and/or netflix/Blockbuster. I know but I can dream can't I?

Last edited:
Turbo HD is a new name for Dish hd pack, actualy it's just a changed of name of all dish hd pack and how to subscribe to it , and regarding the MPEG2-MPEG4, all hd channels are now being broadcasted via MPEG4 format only that's why the old legacy hd(MPEG2) is no longer available, for the savings it's just the same as adding a $10 to get all HD chan or getting the normal HD channels (depending on the basic package that you are subscribed w/) bec HD channels also depends on the basic pack and premiums(movie chan) that you have on your subscription:cool:

It si also the name for anew ly announced service involving downloaded VOD. Confusing isn't it?

BTW he same response could be used for KAB's commeetn on no broadcast 1080p. He is either unaware of the new service or the use of the name confused him. i don't know wh DISH does this from time. but they do thi is not the first time they used the same name for two products and confused people.

Dish has created some confusion, as usual. Yes, it is true that there is an HD Turbo subscription level. However, the text goes on to extol the virtues of turbo-coding. Apparently the HD channels on Dish are encoded MPEG4 with 8PSK turbo-coding (all the SD STB's from the 322 on up--possibly the 311--also have 8PSK turbo-coding compatibility, for MPEG2, of course). The turbo-coding allows for more throughput. Turbo-coding is a very real thing in computer science and is often used today in the efficient transmission of data.

Depending on how Dish chooses to exploit turbo-coding, it can result in improved PQ or even additional channels using the same restrictive bandwidth compared to a non-turbo-coded transponder. It relates to error correction and S/N. The effect of turbo-coding can be compared to the effect if the bandwidth itself were increased.

Dish does give a somewhat simplistic technical explanation of the turbo-coding (citing faster processing of turbo-coded data at the customer's STB) on the same web page promoting its Turbo HD subscription level. That is what has created the confusion.

Last edited:
...Turbo HD is ALSO the name of Dish's coming HD VOD service where you will use the newest as yet unreleased version of the 722 to receive 1080p movie downloads that will maintain the highest video and audio quality with no bandwidth, bitrate, or resolution reductions since the file is being downloaded by IP to your 722, not broadcast. The new 722 will come with added drive space and come with 500GB of 1080p movies already on it and then Dish will delete and add movies on their own schedule that you will be able to view a list of as they show up on your dvr that you can rent to view. At about 25GB for a typical BD quality movie, there will be about 20 movies at a time on your drive that will be held in a separate partition from your own recordings.

Really? Can you help me out here, because I just searched that thread for the following and came up with zilch-
1080p
bluray
vod
demand
movie
download
Ip
internet

This place cracks me up :) Posts that are either completely false or some kind of unsubstantiated leak to tease you into joining the pub.
Glad you are enjoying your visit.

So you have never heard of subscriptions with benefits for members?

Maybe you should spend more time on a site where everything is documented and substantiated. We would hate for you to have to attend to your cracks...

This place cracks me up :) Posts that are either completely false or some kind of unsubstantiated leak to tease you into joining the pub.
Turbo HD is specifically mentioned in posts 2, 6, and 10 from the link that I provided. That is what the subject of this thread is about. There are also other threads about Turbo HD. For example http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/142928-no-existing-sub-can-get-turbo-hd.html
For more info on the 1080p VOD service check out this weeks podcast.

FYI: The cablecos are going to have to transcode MPEG4 to MPEG2 as HBO is going MPEG4 only:

HBO to go all-digital, all MPEG-4 in 2008

Since almost none of the cable STBs can decode MPEG4, they will have to do it at the the central office. Kind of off-topic, but interesting nonetheless.

Ted

If I remember correctly, there was an article I read about some encoders designed just for this purpose for the cable-co's. MPEG4 -> MPEG2.

Turbo HD is specifically mentioned in posts 2, 6, and 10 from the link that I provided. That is what the subject of this thread is about. There are also other threads about Turbo HD. For example http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/142928-no-existing-sub-can-get-turbo-hd.html
For more info on the 1080p VOD service check out this weeks podcast.

Great more links to threads that do NOT address the topic I am asking about! Where are the facts about full rez/bitrate 1080p being IP downloaded to the 722?

The podcast brushes over the topic, saying the true 1080p content is SAT downloaded not IP (like the questionable post in this thread seemingly got completely wrong).

Great more links to threads that do NOT address the topic I am asking about! Where are the facts about full rez/bitrate 1080p being IP downloaded to the 722?

The podcast brushes over the topic, saying the true 1080p content is SAT downloaded not IP (like the questionable post in this thread seemingly got completely wrong).

It is not out yet and will be available on the new receiver. This receiver will be able to output 1080P and will download new 1080P video for Dish VOD Service.

This is a rumor product as it is in the developmental stage right now and what will see daylite will in all likely hood be a different beast.

So as of today it does not exits.

This thread is hurting my head. KAB...you are a saint for almost always treating every question seriously and politely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)