Could VOD be BD biggest threat??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nonrev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
NJ
Verizon | HD Video-on-Demand Now Playing on Verizon FiOS TV

My cableco has also tripled its offering this year. Since most people don't have the newer AVR to enjoy the HD audio this is cheap alterative.

"Verizon last month said it expects to have more than 150 HD channels by the end of 2008 as it continues to add to its HD lineup, and programmers launch new channels. It also said that it would increase its HD VOD titles to more than 1,000 in 2008."

yes but wth ppv oyu can only watch it once, BD still looks better than any hd on any service out there

How many times do you really watch the average DVD?

I have watched each in the Terminator series at least 7 times and as far as the kids' DVDs (HOLY CRAP) comes to mind on the number of view. At any rate, I would rather rent a disc format versus a VoD or PPV format.

I have watched each in the Terminator series at least 7 times and as far as the kids' DVDs (HOLY CRAP) comes to mind on the number of view. At any rate, I would rather rent a disc format versus a VoD or PPV format.
I said average DVD not classics. I'll watch US Marshals every weekend but most of my few hundred collect dust.

Yepp, VOD is great, especially since you are losing recordings now in 24 hours :rolleyes: on certain services

Face it, humans like to OWN/COLLECT things, its the way we are. Im a little surprised at netflix saying there would not be another optical format, but BD and DVD could be around 10 years.

1) I can see we might not have another optical

2) I dont think BD will be around 10 years

At any rate, I would rather rent a disc format versus a VoD or PPV format.

+1

WHy spend all this money on a tv and audio to rent compressed VOD.

Now I dont doubt that VOD will get better and higher rez (ONE day), but then you still have to get people on board. Then there is price, why pay $4.99 a pc when I can use Netflix?

Look at apple tv, people harped about it, now its not doing as well as some people expected and Jobs has even called it a "hobby".

I compare VOD to BD Live. Electronics fanatics love it, but joe blow doesnt even worry with it. Price may get BD adopted, but it wont change the fact that the people the lower price draws in wont have the capability for certain features.

I think if anything has a shot at getting this going, its http://www.xstreamhd.com. I may check this service out ;)

The Netflix Player by Roku | Netflix Instantly on your TV

Stuff like this is the future, the longer it takes BD to come down in price, the more appealing it will sound, and the more the selection will grow. The selection is not something I'd pay for (still feeling out the trial) but when the other players adjust to match (Blockbuster expected to role out a similar STB) and the selection balloons and HD arrives via the same medium... it will be huge. It's cheap, and it's a buffet, not PPV.

I will still buy marqee titles in an optical format, but the need for 'perfection' is waning... and for many, DVD is all they need.

Cable/sat VOD is a very viable option for J6P. They don't know that the HD-lite (Dish) PQ is crap. They *prefer* the cropped/open matte movies of PPV vs. the black bars on the OAR Blu-Ray's.

I prefer to rent before purchasing (hopefully a previously viewed--discounted copy) anyway. For non-children's titles, I can definitely see how many prefer to rent. For children's titles, it definitely makes more sense to buy. Oy...

I have over 100 HD DVD discs--most were bought at the cost of a rental. I doubt if I will ever watch most of them more than once.

but it wont change the fact that the people the lower price draws in wont have the capability for certain features.
Most people that is the target of VOD or similar only have 720p TV’s and don’t have the newer AVR capable of handling HD audio so there is not much difference.

Review: Roku Netflix Set Top Box Is Just Shy of Totally Amazing | Gadget Lab from Wired.com

Just ran across this courtesy of diogen. While this box is just an early salvo and may not be the end all it is a good start.

The box streams movies from Netflix -- it doesn’t download them. I was able to get the 1.0 Mpbs stream in my testing, which resulted in perfectly acceptable video quality. Higher quality streams are available, and over time, HD streams will show up, which the box can handle.”
roku2.jpg

Ya, the only thread for it on this board is sitting in the IPTV forum. I had to search for it, was big news IMO when it was announced, but not a suitable place to discuss the merits on this forum.

The Netflix box is a slight joke at this point, maybe theyll make it better. I think Apple Tv, Vudu and the new Xstream service have great chances(if the studios quit fighting HD downloads, which aint guaranteed) .

None of these will be a threat to BD, and vice versa. The biggest threat, as stated above, is cable VOD.

Ya, the only thread for it on this board is sitting in the IPTV forum. I had to search for it, was big news IMO when it was announced, but not a suitable place to discuss the merits on this forum.
Yeah... The news is 10 days old.
But I think it is a good start. Good interface, cheap.
Going from SD to HD - if it takes off - will be a non-event...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)