Couldn't receive locals traveling

9thunderdog

Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
mn
Just got back from a hunting trip to Canada, took the dish and the old 2800 receiver, pointed the dish for the 119 and 110 satellites,
all channels came except the locals, got a message 'these channels are only available in your designated area' it does receive them
when I am in Minnesota, so how did it know I wasn't in Minnesota? :confused:

Someone correct my description if it isn't technically correct.... but to answer the OP...

Locals are broadcast on a "spotbeam", which only have enough signal strength to cover a small portion of the United States. So, if you live in Las Vegas, for example, the spotbeam that those locals broadcast on only cover Southern Nevada.

So, I can't take my receiver to another state and watch my locals there. There just isn't enough signal.

But the national channels (CNN, USA, TBS, etc.) are broadcast using the "full power" of the satellite and can be viewed nationwide.

Looks like they do cover a small portion of Canada. You must have been out of that circle.

Last edited:
Well that explains why they didn't come in, I was thinking the did some kind of beam for the local area rather then covering the entire footprint of the satellite, and yes i was farther north and west ~50 miles above Swift current SK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts