salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida

Court: Investigators wrong to seize list

Updated: August 26, 2009, 7:54 PM ET

Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- An appeals court ruled Wednesday that federal agents were wrong to seize the infamous drug list and samples of 104 Major League Baseball players who allegedly tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003.

In a 9-2 vote, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with three lower court judges who chastised investigators who had a warrant for only 10 drug test results as part of the BALCO investigation into Barry Bonds and others.

"This was an obvious case of deliberate overreaching by the government in an effort to seize data as to which it lacked probable cause.

” -- 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals chief judge Alex Kozinski

The panel said federal agents trampled on players' protections against unreasonable searches and seizures.

Chief Judge Alex Kozinski said the players' union had good reason to want to keep the list under wraps, citing leaks of players purportedly on the list.

"The risk to the players associated with disclosure, and with that the ability of the Players Association to obtain voluntary compliance with drug testing from its members in the future, is very high," the judge wrote. "Indeed, some players appear to have already suffered this very harm as a result of the government's seizure."

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4424048"]Court: Investigators wrong to seize MLB drug list - ESPN[/ame]

"The leaks were crimes," Peters said. "The people who committed the crimes should be investigated and punished."

Considering that possision of steroids without a presciption is a felony, I find this statement to be very ironic.

Bingo Will.

Anyone who tested positive for Steroids likely broke the law. Period. End of Story.

Donald Fehr is the reason the list wasn't destroyed at the time. Nobody else wanted the list around.

Sandra

I don't want to see the players prosecuted. However, I think that we need to know who the cheaters were. I think that they should all be banned from baseball and have to appeal to get back in.

In my mind, what they did is far worse than Pete Rose. Rose bet the same amount of money on his team every game. It doesn't make what he did right, but it does show that the integrity of the game wasn't damaged. No one game was more important than any other game because of the equal bets.

The MLBPA shot themselves in the foot with this no question, but that being said I'm far more troubled by the leaker(s) in this story than the names of the players.

The MLBPA shot themselves in the foot with this no question, but that being said I'm far more troubled by the leaker(s) in this story than the names of the players.

Bingo!!! Seem people are more upset about their baseball than people leaking information that is SUPPOSED to be protected.:rolleyes:

Blame Fehr for not destroying the list when he had a chance. He's the one who decided to keep the list around.

Sandra

Blame Fehr for not destroying the list when he had a chance. He's the one who decided to keep the list around.

Sandra

For carelessness...I will give you that....

... but just because you leave your wallet in plain view in your car....does not give someone the right to steal it...

That can't be true. The government doing something illegal? That has never happened.

I wanna try to avoid a political comment...I love baseball and believe that baseball should be ruled tough...keeping players, umpires AND owners in their place. But I do NOT want the FEDS involved when there are ALOT more important things for them to worry about....REGARDLESS of the party in charge.

Do things right, or get the f*** out of my favorite sport!

Paint ball for the Arnold in you

My Official Back From Hawaii Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)