Covering to protect LNB?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

psrs910

Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Mas
Hi guys; I'll like to get some type of cover or material to protect the eye on LNB Invacom 031 without loosing any signal? i notice the little glass or plastic covering the eye caved in and i believe that the snow stacks there and i think i loose signal because of that,and the dish is on the roof can't go there when there is snow,
during the snow fall i lost signal for a hole day.
I tried a neoprene small bag and lost a little bit of signal Any ideas Thanks in advance.

(the first link didn't seem to work for me)

Another thing to do to keep the water/snow out of your LNB is to mount the entire dish inverted.
That would put the LNBF above instead of below the aim-line of the dish, and the LNBF would be facing the ground.
Any condensed water would drip out; any snow should fall off.

first picture: the dish to the right
second pix: self explanatory

Attachments

• PrimeStarUpsideDownCrop.jpg
    PrimeStarUpsideDownCrop.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 191
  • inverteddish.jpg
    inverteddish.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 231
I have a QPH-031 on which the feedhorn cover deteriorated as well. I believe these should be covered under Invacom's 5 year warranty. I'm going to try to have the LNB replaced under warranty...

Try a baggie and a rubber-band
That's pretty much what I do, except that I do not use a rubber band. I just put a plastic food bag over the whole lnbf, being careful to keep the open end facing down. Works pretty well on a dish with a single lnbf arm, but it's a bit harder to do on dishes with 3 support arms, but it can be done. I pretty much cover the whole lnbf, not just the open end of the feedhorn. I think that it's important that there is ventilation so that moisture isn't trapped in the bag, and if you use a rubber band, I'd recommend not making it so well sealed that moisture gets trapped in the bag. Perhaps an alternative would be to use the rubber band, but to cut big ventilation/drainage holes at the bottom of the bag.
With a small dish like an 18" DTV dish, I've put the entire dish/lnbf assembly in a big grocery bag, and that worked quite well, but I haven't tried that on a bigger dish.

For the winter I have plastic grocery bags covering the entire LNBF setups on 2 of my 6' dishes. In my case, I'm using prime focus LNBFs on offset dishes which would allow the water to collect inside since their now pointed slightly up instead of down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)