cozitv on 33" dish possible?

edugamer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2019
pa
Cozitv on a 33" offset has anyone gotten this sat with success using a similar setup? I figured I'd try asking here first before wasting my time if my dish turns out to be undersized for the job. I know a directv is undersized but I would like to know if using a proper KUBand one won't make much of a difference or if it will.
Here is my dish: 33" HIGH QUALITY KU-BAND SATELLITE DISH ANTENNA + LINEAR FTA 10.75 LNB 97 30 36 733989508204 | eBay
I might be getting a 4ft and maybe even a larger elyptic disk along with some free directv ones but that isn't yet confirmed. I am getting the two other directv ones for sure though.

I have a Winegard aimed at EchoStar 16. It is an amazing little dish. Definitely worth the money.

In the spring, I will be aiming my 1m dish at 103W for the Muzak channels.

It really is too bad the digital TV subchannels couldn't put up a unified Ku-band mux for rural folks and others who cannot receive them via OTA transmitters. It would boost their viewership and ad revenue accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
The proper size for the dish depends on location within the footprint.
You say that as if things will never change with respect to what satellite a network downlinks from or what band it uses. If the network changes satellites (or the satellite owner swaps out satellites), no longer subscribes to your favorite syndication or just plain goes the way of the dodo, you may have to start from scratch. It will pay some dividends to be able to have looks at more birds to get what you want rather than tailoring your dish to one satellite.

Because Cozi is a NBC property, I wonder if it is going to have to share programming with the Peacock and or NBCUniversal streaming services or their rethink the whole proposition. FTA doesn't reach that many customers but what customers it does reach may take away from "paying" viewers. OTA could be more self-supporting in that local advertising actually means something.

Reactions: mwdxer1 and raydio
It will pay some dividends to be able to have looks at more birds to get what you want rather than tailoring your dish to one satellite

In that case, any hobbyist should just purchase a 1.2m dish, put a motor on it, and call it a day.

The OP asked if a 33" dish would work to tune in COZI on 103, not if he could tune the entire arc, or even multiple satellites.

Reactions: raydio
I guess I should have said "other than fair weather reception".

I have had a 30" Winegard on a motor for over two years and have had very reliable reception of 103W. You being in Oregon, specifically in the Willamette Valley where it rains more than not, yes a 33" dish of any kind probably would not yield very good results. Geography plays into the equation and so does budget. In the Southwest, it works...in the Northwest, not so much -

I have had a 30" Winegard on a motor for over two years and have had very reliable reception of 103W. You being in Oregon, specifically in the Willamette Valley where it rains more than not, yes a 33" dish of any kind probably would not yield very good results.
The additional atmosphere due to the approach angle probably has a greater impact than our rain.

So far this calendar year, I've had a little under 22" of rain. That's going to change tomorrow.

If the TS is from Pennsylvania, their longitude is not too much less than mine. The beam pattern must also be taken into account as comfortably numb noted. In that respect, western PA may be better than Oregon while eastern PA is about the same.

You say that as if things will never change with respect to what satellite a network downlinks from or what band it uses. If the network changes satellites (or the satellite owner swaps out satellites), no longer subscribes to your favorite syndication or just plain goes the way of the dodo, you may have to start from scratch. It will pay some dividends to be able to have looks at more birds to get what you want rather than tailoring your dish to one satellite.

Because Cozi is a NBC property, I wonder if it is going to have to share programming with the Peacock and or NBCUniversal streaming services or their rethink the whole proposition. FTA doesn't reach that many customers but what customers it does reach may take away from "paying" viewers. OTA could be more self-supporting in that local advertising actually means something.

I am hoping there will be some streaming package of most if not all of the diginets in time. We do not have several here. I have to get some OTA, some FTA, and some like Antenna TV are not available. Living in rural America has its downsides....

I am hoping there will be some streaming package of most if not all of the diginets in time. We do not have several here. I have to get some OTA, some FTA, and some like Antenna TV are not available. Living in rural America has its downsides....
Seaside is hardly Christmas Valley or Wagontire. You're just on the wrong side of the Coast Range.

I'm hoping that there will be fewer diginets. The amount of content is fixed and if you have to hop from network to network to keep up with your ancient content, that seems pointless.

What is important is having access to the content you want, not how many "channels" you have to wade through to get it.

I get pretty reliable reception of 103w with a modified Slimline in the Midwest. I use conduit hangers to make the lnb holders as I found the idea from an old thread here. I can pick up the NC feeds and the other low resolution mux almost all the time, excepting thick rain clouds. A light rain and sprinkle is no big deal, and the regular DVB-S channels (like NHK World) can be received even in a pretty good shower. Use an older lnb to peak everything, then pop in a PLL lnb if you can afford them. That way you can bend the dish a little, move everything just right, and see the effect without the PLL sort of skewing the results.
I would agree with everyone else - go bigger if you can, but might as well use what you've got.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Yeah, there is quite a difference nowadays, television and internet-wise. Here's what I get for subchannels in the metro Detroit area OTA, just for comparison.

Movies! Bounce Quest PBS Create
Buzzr Laff Justice PBS World
H&I CourtTV CoziTV StartTV
Decades AntennaTV Comet TBD
ThisTV CourtTV Mystery Charge! PBS Kids
MeTV Grit DABL ION

With all of the main new networks included, it is literally an OTA basic cable system.

Too bad these couldn't be mux'ed and put up on Ku-band on one satellite, in the clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)