Credit Check for direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, while it may be their policy, they do not always do a credit check.

I bought (leased) my gear from an online dealer (4 HD/DVRs, SD DVR, 2 SD, dish, multiswitch) and self-installed. I got it cheaper than the "regular" D* prices and would have had to pay for custom wire pulls or do it myself anyway so the "free" installation was not really there. End result, it cost me $100 more than the "free" install would have but I have all my wires wall pulled, my switch in an enclosure and neatly wired and more HD/DVRs than D* would have discounted to me.

Once installed, I just called D*, told them I was a new sub and needed to setup an account and activate my equipment. They opened an account, recorded my receiver IDs and started my programming.

They NEVER asked for a DOB, SSN - only name, address & phone. I get a paper bill each month in the mail and I pay only each month using a 1-time CC payment option.

I may be the exception since I already had equipment and was ready to go, but still, no credit check for me! :)

When was that though? Both companies have REALLY tightened their belts in the last 45 days due to some bad retailers doing some stuff they were not supposed to.

It was Nov 2007 (10 months ago, but YEARS of being in operation), but even then, you all were saying the same (credit check required). While credit checks are the norm, they do NOT seem to be consistent.

I guess it depends on the CSR and situation. As I said, I DID have all my equipment ready to go and just needed an account. While I did commit to a 2yr period, I never revealed credit info.

Here's a post from March '08 from me:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/129111-credit-card-needed.html#post1282402

and a follow-up for a non-believer! I got slammed back then as a liar! Go figure.

I'll say it again, not everyone will "need/be asked for" a credit check. It may depend on your situation! While they may ask for your credit info, it does not mean they WILL ask for it.

I am an example of that. Deal with that as you will. I know D* does not have my DoB, SSN or anything other than my Name, address (service & billing), phone number, receiver IDs/card #s and package/options I want.

Last edited:
i have always had my credit checked and have had to pay a $50 deposit that came off my first bill. dish network wouldn't even give me service!

If you buy the Equipment instead of leasing there is no credit check and no contract. Most customers don't want to pay the upfront costs to D* for the equipment.

I may have had my credit checked in other areas, but I am now 44 yoa. I had to pay a $70 deposit once for natural gas back when I was 19 (but that was returned after 6 months). Other than that, I have never paid a deposit and have not had my credit checked by: DirecTV, Comcast, Bellsouth or Gulf Power. I have had it checked by T-Mobile, CellularOne, West Fl Nat Gas (deposit), Knology and credit card companies. (oh, and by my insurance companies - I guess poor credit may mean I may rack in millions off them in fraudulent insurance claims!!!)

It sucks to be poor!

I'm glad you asked the question, cabledawg. I learned something. I am going to take an inventory of my provider and programming needs by the February price increases, and it's good to know that if I choose to buy my equipment, I can get D* without giving my SS info.

Is there a credit check for direct tv?

When I processed my order in the spring for two HD-DVRs and new service, they gave me the option to enter my SS# or not. Of course I at first tried to process the order without my SS#, but they then asked for a $600 security deposit. So I entered my SS# in and proceeded. I thought for sure at the time there was no way they ran my credit, as it instantly went onto finalizing my order and charging my card for the initial charges. There was no waiting for it to run my credit and come back with asking for no deposit, a partial deposit, or a full deposit. It just went to the order screen. I figured they didn't run it, but realized they would be keeping my number to put it on my report should I screw them over in the future. But I am serious, it was so instant that there was no way they actually ran it prior to my order. I mean, we are talking snap of the fingers from the time I entered it and hit next to finalize my order. They may have checked it later, but I recently got a credit report and see no inquiry from them.

I think they just want it to be able to put it on your credit report if you bail on the 2 year contract or screw them on equipment.

When I got Dish Network in 2007 for a 9 month or so stint (no contract), there was never any credit check or asking for my ss#.

I use to work for the phone company in a call center for more than 3 years. The system would instantly check your SSN and give a low, medium, or high risk indicator.

Back in '99, the high risk accounts would need a large deposit of $1,000 to get a cell phone. They couldn't buy phones, and have it placed on their bills, or go over $200 per month on long distance. They could get accounts as long as they didn't owe us money.

I'd wager Directv has a similar instant scoring mechanism in place and low and medium risk credit people go right through to be processed. BTW, I never saw what exactly made a medium or high risk, just the indicators on my end processing the order.

Now a days they dont need a SSN to run your credit, they can do it with the combination of your name, address and home phone number. In addition if you give them a credit card number they can pull your credit using your credit card number with the above information as ID.

Although it is easier (and cheaper) for them if they can run your credit with your SSN.

I use to work for the phone company in a call center for more than 3 years. The system would instantly check your SSN and give a low, medium, or high risk indicator.

Back in '99, the high risk accounts would need a large deposit of $1,000 to get a cell phone. They couldn't buy phones, and have it placed on their bills, or go over $200 per month on long distance. They could get accounts as long as they didn't owe us money.

I'd wager Directv has a similar instant scoring mechanism in place and low and medium risk credit people go right through to be processed. BTW, I never saw what exactly made a medium or high risk, just the indicators on my end processing the order.

In my case it was a page to page click from hitting next with the SS# and them calculating that I wouldn't have to make a deposit. If they ran it, it was after my order. There is instant and there is instant........ there was no delay. Think, typing in Google on a fast Internet connection.... there is no delay. Maybe they ran it later. Would they come back and nail me after the fact if they thought I was credit unworthy? The world will never know.

Now a days they dont need a SSN to run your credit, they can do it with the combination of your name, address and home phone number. In addition if you give them a credit card number they can pull your credit using your credit card number with the above information as ID.

Although it is easier (and cheaper) for them if they can run your credit with your SSN.

An actual authorization on your behalf requires your social security number. (The kind that shows up on your report as "held against you" for too many inquiries, like when you apply for that gas credit card we all need these days.)

With your name, address, and phone, they can do an inquiry (often done before offering you a "pre-approval" BS letter) but it isn't held against you as an inquiry, since they don't need your permission.

Any of these idiot companies can do that second type of inquiry, but it isn't going to drive your score down with inquiries like it would if you ran around applying for every credit card you could find.

Having that said, maybe Dish did do an inquiry on me, but it would not effect my score, since I never gave them my ss#.

Scott- I disagree that it is cheaper to run your credit without your score. Look at the inquires that you have on your credit report that are not held against you. Often by companies that you do business with. Cap One is horrible with this, running your credit without your approval every few months to make you new offers. I don't think they are paying more, probably less in this case.

Edit---->
Also, it is easier to get an item off your credit report by means of dispute if you never gave them your ss# and they gave you something that you were supposed to pay for later (such as a magazine or Columbia House CDs back in the day). This is somewhat of a safety, especially when something bogus shows up on your report.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)