Credit Check for direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I Joined last December no ssn was asked for no deposit was required plus since i live in Pa i didnt even have to give a cc or debit card number.

Yea Billion dollar companys are going to give people free equipment and service without checking your credit worthyness.:rolleyes:
They check your credit 100% , and again they don't need a credit card or SSN to do it. ;)
PA might not require a credit card ,but both E* and D* require proof of residence.

Hemi all i know is they said since i live in Pa none of that stuff was required i was more than willing to provide it to them.

Yea Billion dollar companys are going to give people free equipment and service without checking your credit worthyness.:rolleyes:
They check your credit 100% , and again they don't need a credit card or SSN to do it. ;)
PA might not require a credit card ,but both E* and D* require proof of residence.

Again, there is a difference between an authorized credit check with SS# and a credit check done without your SS# or approval. Aside from whether or not they give you service, if you end up with something like "Columbia House CD club" on your credit report in the event you get your CDs and don't pay. It is very easy to get those items off your report as opposed to an account of some type (credit, sat, water service, electric, apartment, etc) where you gave them the SS# and authorized the inquiry.

Some are saying it doesn't matter if you give them the SS# or not, they are still going to check it. Well, if you default, there is a HUGE difference.

I am not saying you should default and screw Dish or DirecTV or anybody else. But things happen and if your box is stolen or you lose your job and don't pay it, you'll see it on your credit report. It is far easier to get off there if you never gave them your SS# and authorized the inquiry in the first place.

A good attitude about it would be to never give the SS# unless you have to. Don't just assume the company enjoys full rights to place what they want on your report without it. They can try, but it is easy to have removed. Because when you dispute something, the credit agencies must go backto the company asking for proof of the entry. Never giving them your SS# and authorizing a credit inquiry isn't proof that you ordered Columbia House CDs. It will be taken off.

If anybody thinks I am wrong about this, think of it this way. I order a magazine trial by placing an acceptance sticker on a place sticker here card and sending it in for my free issue. I then get a bill for the magazine and don't pay it, but forget to write cancel on the bill and send it in. Well, I never pay it so they stop sending me the magazine and the bills. Then I receive a collection notice for the bill and ignore those. Then it shows up on my credit report. Then I write a letter and without question, their credit entry doesn't hold up without my SS# and the item is removed from my credit. This is a bit of a safety for you. Otherwise, anybody could nail you with a negative credit entry whether you are involved with the issue at hand or not.

I am no expert on credit reports, but I know my rights. It may not seem like it but there are laws that protect us from things such as predatory collecting and harrasment. But there are Federal laws and usually more state laws. Know your state laws because they are often more favorable to you, the consumer.

I can't speak to exactly what DirecTV does or doesn't do with credit checks. I've been with them for nearly 10 years so it's not an issue. Three weeks ago my wife and I went to look at a new car. Now they said they needed our driver's license for insurance purposes to let us test drive a vehicle and, to the best of my knowledge, that's pretty standard practice around here. A week later my credit monitoring company sends me a notice that on such-and-such date and time my credit was checked by this dealer. It was exactly when we were test driving the car so in about a 5-10 minute window. I kind of knew they'd be doing that but they didn't ask or say they were going to so it happens without permission. May vary by state but that's the way it seems to be here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts