CSR issues..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lv2pitch

Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Hadley, MA
First off, this is only my second post so pardon me if I am stepping on any toes here. I, like many others, are anxiously awaiting the new HD channels. I am not all that upset that the channels did not appear yesterday. But, I have found some of the back-and-forth on the board interesting.

It seems to me that many of the old-timers on this board have created some kind of disconnect between DirecTV and the people who work for them (CRSs). I have heard people say over-and-over that DirecTV has not issued any official statements on when the channels would be released, and therefore is blameless. I own my own business, and if one of my employees was out telling people that on a certain date we would be offering Product X, and then that did not happen...I would fully expect people to be pissed. And from a business persepctive some heads would probably roll.

To me, as a newbie to this board (but 3 year subscriber to DirecTV), the problem seems to be the companies communication (or lack thereof) style. They do not give any statements or information, they do not carefully control what their employees say when acting as their representatives. Althogh I do not share the furstration of many of the people on this board (the channels will come when they come)..I do understand why someone could be upset at the way all this was handled..and it seems to be just how the corporaet culture at DirecTV operates. They seem to have the philosophy of, "Oh well people are pissed, lets just give them a $10 credit). That is a tough cycle to break.

Sorry for the long post..but that is my two cents.

The disconnect between the company and their CSR's is, sadly, just the reality of telephone support these days.

Large companies outsource their phone support to a subcontractor (often in India or some third-world country). The outsourced CSR's are enabled to do basic things like activate receivers and set up new accounts, but ask them a question that falls outside of the few scripts they have at their disposal and they have to either admit they don't know or (and this is the one that's really irritating) make up some BS.

That being said, it does appear, from where we sit, that DirecTV's outsourced CSR's were issued a memo that had the 19th listed as the (at least tentative, target) date.

Therin lies all the irritation.

I have no doubt that the people who wrote that memo and emailed it to the CSR's are kicking themselves that they actually put anything more specific on it than "sometime in September."

Having said all that, it's worth pointing out that a site that rates the quality and convinience of telephone customer service, "gethuman.com" gives DirecTV an "F" grade. Even though I generally like the service DirecTV provides, their telephone support system deserves that "F" big time. Need to call DirecTV for even the most trivial problem? Be prepared to kill at least an hour, maybe two. The first half hour of which you will spend navigating their endlessly deep menu, before ever being connected to a human.

I think you are pretty much right on with what you said. I just think that companies do have to bear some responsibility for what their representaives say to the customers. The whole DirecTV phone system reeks of corners being cut, and the desire to not train adequately as many people as they can possibly get away with.

To me that is not a legitimate excuse for poor communication. THe fact is this communication style seems systemic at DirecTV, and the best thing they could do is look at this fiasco and re-evaluate how the communicate with their customers. For example an e-mail to everyone after D10 was launched explaining how difficult it is to get a new satellite fully operational, and how they expected to have those tasks completed by X date. And saying that as things change we would be updated (say a weekly e-mail). This HD rollout could have been a perfect chance to generate some positive PR, and instead it is somewhat of a clusterf*ck.

The disconnect between the company and their CSR's is, sadly, just the reality of telephone support these days.

Exactly... its not just D*. What about Best Buy. Microsoft, sony, linksys, etc..
I have learned that to these large company's we are just a speck on the wall. their products are good enough that they do not need to worry about a few unsatisfied customers if they do not want to. Nor could they meet every customers needs or desires when you are dealing with millions of them.

I have also learned that CSR's, like us, are just a speck on the wall and they know that. They are not highly educated, highly intelligent, or highly caring people. If they were, they would not be a CSR. There is a high turnover in the CSR field, so their "inside" knowledge of what is happening with the company (like launch dates), is very limited.

Exactly... its not just D*. What about Best Buy. Microsoft, sony, linksys, etc..
I have learned that to these large company's we are just a speck on the wall. their products are good enough that they do not need to worry about a few unsatisfied customers if they do not want to. Nor could they meet every customers needs or desires when you are dealing with millions of them.

I have also learned that CSR's, like us, are just a speck on the wall and they know that. They are not highly educated, highly intelligent, or highly caring people. If they were, they would not be a CSR. There is a high turnover in the CSR field, so their "inside" knowledge of what is happening with the company (like launch dates), is very limited.

Boy that is not even close. I work for a top 5 Pharma Co and about 50% of our CSR's have college degrees.

But back to the subject at hand. If our CSR's did what D* CSR's were apparently doing by giving out a launch date we would be out of business and standing before the man. We control all sensitive areas and instruct our CSR's not divulge any info that are not aware of . That's why we have a consumer relation area that is well informed about company business

Boy that is not even close. I work for a top 5 Pharma Co and about 50% of our CSR's have college degrees.

But back to the subject at hand. If our CSR's did what D* CSR's were apparently doing by giving out a launch date we would be out of business and standing before the man. We control all sensitive areas and instruct our CSR's not divulge any info that are not aware of . That's why we have a consumer relation area that is well informed about company business

Pharmaceutical is a different field my friend.

I stick to the fact that DirecTV needs to re-evaluate how (and when) the communicate with their customers.

To simply say, "That's just the way it is", should not be a good enough answer for any company that plans to be around for a long-time. Especially when it comes to the customers who probably spend the most money with them.

Large companies outsource their phone support to a subcontractor (often in India or some third-world country). The outsourced CSR's are enabled to do basic things like activate receivers and set up new accounts, but ask them a question that falls outside of the few scripts they have at their disposal and they have to either admit they don't know or (and this is the one that's really irritating) make up some BS.

That being said, it does appear, from where we sit, that DirecTV's outsourced CSR's were issued a memo that had the 19th listed as the (at least tentative, target) date.

Therin lies all the irritation.

I have no doubt that the people who wrote that memo and emailed it to the CSR's are kicking themselves that they actually put anything more specific on it than "sometime in September."

Having said all that, it's worth pointing out that a site that rates the quality and convinience of telephone customer service, "gethuman.com" gives DirecTV an "F" grade. Even though I generally like the service DirecTV provides, their telephone support system deserves that "F" big time. Need to call DirecTV for even the most trivial problem? Be prepared to kill at least an hour, maybe two. The first half hour of which you will spend navigating their endlessly deep menu, before ever being connected to a human.

While I agree with most of your points about the people answering the phone, I have not found the process of actually getting to them and/or navigating the menu to be that bad at all... maybe I'm strange that way, but you can always just hit "0" if all you want to do is talk to someone right away...

I've been on the phone with them a lot in the last few weeks and have never "wasted" more than 15 minutes, even when I got my free upgrade to an HR20 for my 2nd receiver (after 5 minutes on the first try)...

Ok I do take exception when you generalize CSR reps as being stupid. I live in Oklahoma, this is the call center capital of the world. So these days if your not in a job that requires manual labor chances are your working in a call center. Call centers are cheap to operate and Oklahoma gives companies great tax breaks to bring there call center here. I have friends that work in call centers that have BA in computer science. Some friends have Business Degrees. I have been programing computer since I was 9 years old and got my first computer (TI994A) and have a degree in Programming. I can still program in DOS. I build web pages, I troubleshoot networks etc. My IQ is in the 140's. So here in Oklahoma people are CSR's not because they can't get other jobs, its because its the only jobs available. It's sad that you think you know somebodies intellect by what kind of job they do or because they gives you answers you dont want to hear. So to me that says a lot about your education and intellegence

I'm strange that way, but you can always just hit "0" if all you want to do is talk to someone right away...

Hitting "0" does not work --at all-- on DirecTV's system.

More and more call center systems are making "0" do nothing since so many people had learned just to do that to get a human and their intent is to make it HARD to get a human, hoping you can get what you want through the automated system without talking to a human (order a PPV, for example), or give up and go away.

In DirecTV's case, according to "gethuman.com", the fastest way to a human is to simply remain absolutely silent and not hit any buttons on the phone.

This causes the automated system to "give up" and connect you to a human.

It's been my experience also that this is the fastest route to a human, but it still takes 5 minutes or more for it to finally give up and put you through.

If you do actually attempt to navigate their voice-commanded system, you'll launch a 20 minute goat-rope to actually eventually get connected to a human!

By the way, my wife and I both refer to attempting to navigate a voice-commanded telephone system as "talking to Rachael Dratch". Anyone understand that reference?

I have been a member of this site for a little over a year, and have posted only a few times. Like many newbies I use the site to tap the brains of the vets. I have to weigh in on this D* / CSR / no communication / piss and moan stuff. First off I have been a D* customer for over 6 years. I have never had a decent experience with them involving the CSRs. They have screwed up my billing, program packages and just about anything they could. I am still with them because I choose to be. Its my $$, I look at the available alternatives, then I decide. For those of you who are nonstop crying about D*, cancel your service. As I am as anxious as anyone to get the new channels up and running, I am not , for the first time in a while, blaming D* for this. Everyone says D* should communicate more, and that a CSR telling someone on this forum it would be this week should be considered an official communication. That’s just silly. If it was not for the unofficial speculation from the punch drunk CSRs in the first place, this would not even be a topic. On the other hand, if they had released an official date, and there were tech issues, everyone would be looking for cannons to go with the torches and pitchforks. Just my opinion. To all the level headed vets of this site, a sincere thank you for your time and effort.

I have been a member of this site for a little over a year, and have posted only a few times. Like many newbies I use the site to tap the brains of the vets. I have to weigh in on this D* / CSR / no communication / piss and moan stuff. First off I have been a D* customer for over 6 years. I have never had a decent experience with them involving the CSRs. They have screwed up my billing, program packages and just about anything they could. I am still with them because I choose to be. Its my $$, I look at the available alternatives, then I decide. For those of you who are nonstop crying about D*, cancel your service. As I am as anxious as anyone to get the new channels up and running, I am not , for the first time in a while, blaming D* for this. Everyone says D* should communicate more, and that a CSR telling someone on this forum it would be this week should be considered an official communication. That’s just silly. If it was not for the unofficial speculation from the punch drunk CSRs in the first place, this would not even be a topic. On the other hand, if they had released an official date, and there were tech issues, everyone would be looking for cannons to go with the torches and pitchforks. Just my opinion. To all the level headed vets of this site, a sincere thank you for your time and effort.

Ahhhh, its the old, " just cancel your service then " response. Thats a great way to show your dissapointed in the company. But how does it help that company get there act together ? Would communicating to them to get there stuff straight help everyone in the equation ? Or would it just go in one ear and out the other ? Why is it the customers fault that the majority of the CSR's are citing or were citing Sept 19th as the official launch ? I didn't hire anybody over there. D* isn't to blame for that ?

You may not think D* is to blame. Unfortunately, how many times do we have to see the HD commercials put on by them ? More HD than anyone. When your ready for rollout and want to tout your company, tout it baby. But if your not ready and your advertising up the yin yang about it, even to the extent that CSR's are able to cite a date, then you might want to re-think that strategy and shut your mouth. Wait until its official.

Your right. I forgot that the company told the CSR to say Sept 19 officially and that there is no way the CSR passed office rumor off to the customer, and that all of the HD ads that D is pushing say Sept 19th.
My bad.

As far as "helping the company get it's act together", they are just like any other leader in industry. They have too many customers and not enough reps that give 2 squats. Like I said, six years I have been with them and it gets worse and worse. So please, the next time you want to remain on hold for an hour to speak to a rep that is barely paying attention to you and will more then likley quit after a month, to "help the company", spend an extra 10 minutes for me because I dont have the time.
The only thing that will make a company like D* see that they suck from a CS point of view is when thier numbers take a dip. Thats business. They dont care about you or that you are on the phone complaining.

You do forget that they circulated a memo to CSR's with the Sept. 19th date on it.

Like I said earlier this all could have been solved with a couple three minute e-mails from someone at corporate. It would have ended all the rumors, and they could have made their customers feel part of the process rather than outside spies.

Your right. I forgot that the company told the CSR to say Sept 19 officially and that there is no way the CSR passed office rumor off to the customer, and that all of the HD ads that D is pushing say Sept 19th.
My bad.

As far as "helping the company get it's act together", they are just like any other leader in industry. They have too many customers and not enough reps that give 2 squats. Like I said, six years I have been with them and it gets worse and worse. So please, the next time you want to remain on hold for an hour to speak to a rep that is barely paying attention to you and will more then likley quit after a month, to "help the company", spend an extra 10 minutes for me because I dont have the time.
The only thing that will make a company like D* see that they suck from a CS point of view is when thier numbers take a dip. Thats business. They dont care about you or that you are on the phone complaining.

Your bad is right. Talk to a rep over there before you say anything. Then you'll realize its not just one or two reps, its the majority. So someone gave them all some bad info. Who was it ? O.J. ?

Your right on with your comment about how they have too many customers to support. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you've learned how to get to them in a timely manner. I've never had a holding problem. I've already learned the trick to get to them in a timely manner. Unfortunately for them, it took a trick to do so. Shouldn't be that way.

If they don't care about you and I, why are they giving you and I free credit galore when it comes time to pull the plug ? When the concern is stated, they do everything they can to keep you. At least from my experiences.

First off, O.J. is innocent. Of all charges. Always. He was/is/will be framed.

I beg anyone here to say they have called D and not be disconnected while being tranferred, or have had hold times longer then 15 minutes. You think the disconnect is an accident?
We have all had the direct line to CS with no holds, or the retention number. I have had my share of "sweet deals" over my tenure with them. Point is nobody should have to fight and argue or call to get compensated when all most of us want is only what we pay for. As far as the memo, if they got it wrong the first time, woul you like them to try to nail down a date again and risk the possibility of another unforeseen issue?

You keep changing your story... first you said they never said anything official, and now you gloss over a memo that gave the CSR's their information.

Also, I never said nail down a date. I said they could easily send an e-mail out after the satellite launched explaining in a general way what goes into making a satellite active and working for this HUGE rollout of HD channels.

Then as progress is made, give a brief update. Then as things get close you can give a ballpark timeframe for things going into operation, but still make clear their are hurdles to be cleared. Then, if there is a substantial delay, send another e-mail explaining what has happened, and how they are working hard to get everyone their new channels. It really is a relatively simple process that would take all of about 10 minutes, and would have avoided much of the ill-will seen on this board (justified or not).

The memo, I glossed over was in reference to what you pointed out that I missed. The point of my initial post was not to exonerate D* from any fault, it was to point out the insane reaction from people that have recently posted to this forum. They are talking class action lawsuits for God's sake.

Hitting "0" does not work --at all-- on DirecTV's system.

You might be right that it doesn't work right off the bat.... but it does work when you get through the first or second level. I honestly don't remember at what point it happens, but it's not that hard to get to the point that it starts telling you "hit 1 for x, hit 2 for y"... at that point, hitting 0 does work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts