Current Issues with VOOM's PQ

Tvlman, I wouldn't really care which component to switch to but even with component cables (I don't have Monstery but I do have a heavy shielded set) it's not 100% perfect, check out this thread I did:

DVI adjustments

It could be how the DVI port is set, you could have done what I did and adjusted the heck out of the component input using a DVE DVD. However I don't care which way you slice it I get a slightly sharper picture with DVI and I didn't want to give that up. May give you some ideas with regards to your set.

Rain fade type effects after upgrade

I am new to Voom. Dish and two receivers installed 7/24 and OTA will be installed tomorrow. Had 6.0 up until the upgrade two days ago. With 6.0 everything was fine on both receivers. Now after upgrade, one of the receivers is presenting a lot of rain fade type effects - picture breakup w/ sound loss. Seems to be on all channels. Connection is component, resolution is 1080i, but have tried the others and it does it with those as well. Signal strength 96+ throughout.

Other receiver is in native w/ no picture or sound dropouts at all.

I will have the installer tomorrow look at it and let you know if he finds anything connection wise, but doubt that is it because ever thing was fine until upgrade...

stratos21ss said:
I am new to Voom. Dish and two receivers installed 7/24 and OTA will be installed tomorrow. Had 6.0 up until the upgrade two days ago. With 6.0 everything was fine on both receivers. Now after upgrade, one of the receivers is presenting a lot of rain fade type effects - picture breakup w/ sound loss. Seems to be on all channels. Connection is component, resolution is 1080i, but have tried the others and it does it with those as well. Signal strength 96+ throughout.

Other receiver is in native w/ no picture or sound dropouts at all.

I will have the installer tomorrow look at it and let you know if he finds anything connection wise, but doubt that is it because ever thing was fine until upgrade...
This could be due to the fact that there is some sort of link between the OTA Signal quality/Strength and the reception of the SAT signal.

Agreed.

Another thread details a way to bust out of the signal errors by tuning in a strong OTA (non-fluctuating) signal then tuning directly to a Sat channel.

I was able to find one OTA that had a stable signal (miracle since I do not have an OTA installed yet) and switch from it to channel 100 and the errors never came back....until I ventured back down to the local channel area again by mistake..then got the rain-fade effects again every 30 seconds or so :( then tried the stable OTA channel/channel 100 sequence again and cured the problem again :)

Installer didn't show today (thanks) and I have had to reschedule the install of the OTA again for next Friday :(

Ditto for me in the south Florida area; total rain-fade type efx (audio & video breakup) on all sat channels from 100 on up; (OTA channels are clear & fine). The breakup is constant at about every 25/30 seconds across the entire range of channels.
LeeB

I have updated the first page with the following:

• 613 History Channel
  • 610 ABC Family (as of 8/12 it has been fixed)
  • 509 Comedy Central
  • 505 TBS
  • 403 HeadLine News (as of 8/12 it has been fixed)
  • Cartoon Network (as of 8/12 it has been fixed)
  • TLC
  • BET (as of 8/12 it has been fixed)
  • NICK (as of 8/12 it has been fixed)
  • CNN (as of 8/12 it has been fixed)
  • VH1
  • E! (as of 8/12 it has been fixed)

Please let me know if these have been fixed. When I checked I did not see any sparklies. If there are others that should be added let me know.

something new

I'm watching "now, voyager" .. A black & white movie on TCM, and i'm seeing red and green bars going up the screen. Very faint bars by the way, and they move slowly. I'm running my box through the component jacks on my t.v., but I've also got the component on an A/B switch to run my dvd through component as well. so is anyone else seeing these?

tranceponderer said:
I'm watching "now, voyager" .. A black & white movie on TCM, and i'm seeing red and green bars going up the screen. Very faint bars by the way, and they move slowly. I'm running my box through the component jacks on my t.v., but I've also got the component on an A/B switch to run my dvd through component as well. so is anyone else seeing these?

Welcome. Yes I see the same. I just changed to component tonight. These are very faint red/blue bars. I cannot see them from where I usually watch TV but if I stand close I'll see them. I just tuned to the channel. Does it happend during commercials? I wonder if it has to do with the movie itself or the channel?

Tvlman said:
As far as the VOOM channels are concerned, I switched to component Monster cables and the "mosquito" noise went away.
If only it were this simple. :rolleyes:

Just so you know I filled a comment to Voom's site, and I got a response back that Voom's PQ is "crystal clear" and that if there is any noise that it is cause by my connection or my TV. I fired back that it's neither that there is a presence of mosquito noise and pixelation on certain channels and listen a few of the threads on this site and I think one from avsforum... that the noise is bandwidth related. I got a response back that it looks like I need a tech to come out and troubleshoot my setup! =(

FYI - COmponent cables still get some mosquito noise, but it also IMO produces a softer image, DVI is just a tad bit sharper. When I watch OTA channels I get "crystal clear" images usually.

Dvlos said:
Just so you know I filled a comment to Voom's site, and I got a response back that Voom's PQ is "crystal clear" and that if there is any noise that it is cause by my connection or my TV. I fired back that it's neither that there is a presence of mosquito noise and pixelation on certain channels and listen a few of the threads on this site and I think one from avsforum... that the noise is bandwidth related. I got a response back that it looks like I need a tech to come out and troubleshoot my setup! =(

FYI - COmponent cables still get some mosquito noise, but it also IMO produces a softer image, DVI is just a tad bit sharper. When I watch OTA channels I get "crystal clear" images usually.

These are CSRs the same people you talk on the phone. Wilt knows about it and they are still working on it.

Dvlos said:

I did the same thing and the response I got was that it was forwarded to the Engineering team. They actually acknowledged the issues and said they were working on them. I'd like to know how long it will take, I hardly watch Voom. :no

I actually have been a critical of PQ on VOOM but I can honestly say that it has been better. Still a little ways to go but definitely better. That's saying something for me. Saw Truk Lagoon last night on DHD and it was fantastic.. Other channels look better too even Equator looked sharper. Using component as I don't like the look of DVI with VOOM and the shrunk SD channels with DVI. Hope they can do something about that as I would like to go back to DVI. But component is not bad.

UPDATE:

For some reason, the picture on all channels has gone back to the soft detail it had a few weeks ago. Almost metallic in looks and soft. Before I could even see the grain of the film. (not mosquito noise either). Wish they would go back to the way it looked just a week ago.

I had noticed a change too starting 8/15. However on Saturday afternoon all channels except OTA were off for almost 5 minutes. When it came back. the picture was wow but it has lost that extra touch since then. I have not fussed with the set either. Hope it comes back the way it was. Maybe they were testing wm9 or mpeg4.

Sean Mota said:
I am looking for consistency in problems. You mention Cinemax. Which one, East or West? I watched Cabin Fever on Saturday on Cinemax-HD East and did not see any of the problems you mentioned. I watched HBO-HD West on Sunday (S.W.A.T) and only saw the white 'strips' of video break up. There were a lot of explotions on that movie.

The problems I mentioned above you can turn to the channel and see it right away without waiting for more than 5 minutes. The ones that are random are random. So instead of all channels which I am sure it happens at random at some time, I am looking to see where problems are easily seeing.
I did notice this also.. On 341 lots of background noise on some shots like the grass or sky. Its just the compression I suppose. Need to squeeze the space somewheres....

flipper2001 said:
I did notice this also.. On 341 lots of background noise on some shots like the grass or sky. Its just the compression I suppose. Need to squeeze the space somewheres....

This could be some of the extreme closeups or low light shots they do with the HD cameras though, since the majority of the game has pretty damn good PQ.

Watching "Transporter" today I just thought I'd reopen this issue again. Nudge it along if you will. HD transfer looks good except this is an action movie, instead of crystal clear action sequences, explosions, fires, and bullets flying, you get macroblocking, pixelation, macroblocking, and pixelation.

This is really distracting for this kind of movie.

2nd complaint is not directed at Voom but at the premium channels I pay for with VaVaVoom, what's with all the SD programming on the HD channels damnit? I pay $112 bucks a month for this stuff and nothing lights a fire under my crotch like going "Ooo hey my old favorite movie in HD" and switching to a 4:3 ugly looking pile of garbage. This isn't like HBO producing a series like Entourage or Gaza in SD but movies like Batman in SD. I mean if they can make the Three Stooges in HD they sure as heck can bring in Batman, the Usual Suspects, and any PREMIUM movie they air on their HD channels in HD. It just blows my mind. It also blows my mind when HBO airs the preview for the next episode, or upcoming movies on their HD channel in SD??? WHAT THE HELL? Can't you use the same clip you're about to air next week, or a piece of the movie your about to show in 10 minutes in HD?!?! Ok I'm done ranting for a while.