Custom Install Questions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bubba90

Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Orlando, FL
Hello Forum Members, I have been a lurker on satellite guys message boards for a while, and I finally registered today. I am looking at subscribing to Directv soon, just waiting for the usual offer with Sunday Ticket/Premier package as a new sub they offer every year. My dilemma is should I order on line/call Directv directly, or go through a local authorized dealer. I need a custom install and know that's additional money out of my pocket verses the free standard installation. I've called several local places (Orlando, FL) and have been given various rates ranging between $100-$200. (Install would be 3 rooms; 1HD, 1SD and an additional outlet-no receiver). Does Directv have flat rate charges for custom installs so new subs dont get taken advantage of? My concern is if I order directly through Directv I'll be assigned a random installer where I may have to accept what they charge unless I know ahead of time. However, if I order through a local authorized dealer I can negotiate the custom install with who gives me the best price if I order service through them. Can anyone offer any insight as to what may be best for a new sub in this case? Thanks for the input!!!!!

Yes DirecTV does have a set rate sheet for custom work that HSP's must follow. They also are to require payment up front, and installers do not accept cash.

That said, there are some installers or companies that perfer to do the work at lower rates. Your best bet is to call around locally if you need very custom stuff.

What is it you need specialized?

sounds like an additional outlet-no reciever. $49 around these parts. other then that, i don't see why you have a custom install.

Are you putting this one a pole mount?

AND:

Those rate sheets reflect average costs from strange sources. I looked at the posted list and could remember instances where the posted suggested charge was either way too high or way too low.

I would have some local guys come out and quote on the work. Have Directv do the installation with the expectation that there will be no cosmetic work with the FREE installation. Go from there.

You didn't mention what custom work you require.

Joe

Thanks for the input so far. I'm a novice at installation needs but currently the house is wired for cable with outlets in every room. I want 3 outlets for Directv; living room, family room, and bedroom. The dish install would be side of house or roof mount, not custom work. However, I'm thinking these new lines must be run in the attic to drop down in between the walls for new outlets is considered custom work. Maybe I'm wrong and would appreciate anyone's suggestions.

Thanks

Thanks for the input so far. I'm a novice at installation needs but currently the house is wired for cable with outlets in every room. I want 3 outlets for Directv; living room, family room, and bedroom. The dish install would be side of house or roof mount, not custom work. However, I'm thinking these new lines must be run in the attic to drop down in between the walls for new outlets is considered custom work. Maybe I'm wrong and would appreciate anyone's suggestions.

Thanks

Do you also have Cable ?
You have Coax runs already ran, nothing says it's only for Cable Co.
D* should be able to use the existing runs to set up service for you.
If you need a outlet placed in a room that doesn't have a coax run, then they will run one.

Do you also have Cable ?
You have Coax runs already ran, nothing says it's only for Cable Co.
D* should be able to use the existing runs to set up service for you.
If you need a outlet placed in a room that doesn't have a coax run, then they will run one.

But they will charge for drilling the top plate in the attic & fishing a cable (or two) down into the wall to a new box. $$$ depends on access. Drilling a fire break half way down the wall can be a real time killer.

Joe

I have Brighthouse cable with outlets in all rooms and not sure if they can use the lines. I guess my best bet is to have someone (local dealer) come out
and do a walk through verses discussing it over the phone. This way I know what to expect and the installer knows exactally what I want before I order the service.

I have Brighthouse cable with outlets in all rooms and not sure if they can use the lines. I guess my best bet is to have someone (local dealer) come out
and do a walk through verses discussing it over the phone. This way I know what to expect and the installer knows exactally what I want before I order the service.

So your keeping the Brighthouse cable and adding D* as well ?
If so, then your right, D* would have to install all three outlets.
If your not keeping Brighthouse, then you wouldn't have much trouble.

If you are planning on "switching" from cable to DTV, you can check it out yourself. You can look where your cable is coming in the house. If the single wire coming in goes to a "splitter", then probably each line (output) is a home run going to each room. This would be a easy install for DTV.

If you are planning on "switching" from cable to DTV, you can check it out yourself. You can look where your cable is coming in the house. If the single wire coming in goes to a "splitter", then probably each line (output) is a home run going to each room. This would be a easy install for DTV.

I'm not switching, keeping Brighthouse and adding Directv for Sunday Ticket. Thats why I figured I'd need new lines run for the 3 oulets I want without disrupting any cable lines. Again, figuring its custom work I was trying to find out if a local authorized dealer is the best bet verses calling Directv and ordering it over the phone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)