Actually moving, not 'moving' / no phone

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sven_kirk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Ok. I am about to move soon up the street, and I want to keep my existing setup of 3 DirecTivos (Sumsung 8040s). And It will probably not going to ever have a landline in the new house.
I don't want 'free' HBO/channels/equipment. I don't want a two year contract.
I especially don't want the installer to blacklist my systems/cards on a shoddy install (which happened 2.5 hours on my very first sign-up five years ago).
If it means paying them, fine. I'll do that. I stopped 2 installers before, and they just gave me the movers connection info.

Thanks in advance.

I dont get the issue here.....what Dish do you curently have? slimline? 18"?

I have no landline in the house and Directv did the install and havent had any issues with them.

Iceberg, I have a 18" dish (currently and at the new place<new place is wired for comcast>). The reason I was worried about the phone line, is that I don't want the installer getting screwed out of his work. I remember reading in the past that it was a requirement.

Jimbo, Way back when I first got DTV, I got two standard receivers. About 3 hours after the installation, they zapped my cards. About an hour on the phone, they found the mistake. Turns out somebody activated it as a DirectTivo install and it zapped the cards due to the mismatch. That PISSED the wife off. DTV gave us 3 DirecTivos and a very nice credit to make us happy.

jdspencer, I would try DIY, but I only know enough to get into trouble.

Iceberg, I have a 18" dish (currently and at the new place<new place is wired for comcast>). The reason I was worried about the phone line, is that I don't want the installer getting screwed out of his work. I remember reading in the past that it was a requirement.

Jimbo, Way back when I first got DTV, I got two standard receivers. About 3 hours after the installation, they zapped my cards. About an hour on the phone, they found the mistake. Turns out somebody activated it as a DirectTivo install and it zapped the cards due to the mismatch. That PISSED the wife off. DTV gave us 3 DirecTivos and a very nice credit to make us happy.

jdspencer, I would try DIY, but I only know enough to get into trouble.

If they cable infrastructure is at the new house, aiming a satellite is easy. The only talents you need are the abilities to read a level and compass.

They did not give me a two year commitment when I moved with "mover's connection.". I think the commitment only occurs when you add new receivers at the time of the install. My commitment was over six months after I moved. Call D* and see.

As far as the phone goes, the installer can always run a long extension cord initially and you can remove it when he leaves.

cditty
When I got D* a couple months ago they just noted the account as "no landline"...thats all the tech did with Directv

I got the move and installation done.
No contract extension was added on, not that I have any plans on leaving them. I just rather know I can stop pending some unforeseen line of sight issue.

Installer did a very good job. Very professional. And went along a whole lot better than the original install at the old place.

I only feel slightly horrible due the installation was on Labor Day. They said there was an available slot for that day, so my wife took it.
I gave him a couple of bucks and some burgers to go because of the holiday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts