D* 9 Sat. news

Status
Please reply by conversation.

moonman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
So. Fla.
The sat. is currently sked for Sept 29th launch........
--------------------
SATELLITE -- Payload integration has begun for Arianespace's next Ariane 5 mission following the vehicle's transfer to the final assembly building at Europe's Spaceport in French Guiana. In addition to its two primary passengers - Australia's Optus D1 telecommunications satellite and the DirecTV 9S broadcast spacecraft - Ariane 5 also will carry Japan's LDREX-2 auxiliary payload. LDREX-2 is a 1/25 scale version of the full-size antenna for Japan's ETS-8 engineering test satellite, the company said.

Maybe this is why rupert promised us 100hd channels..... Now hopefully the LDREX won't delay the launch

fkostyn said:
Maybe this is why rupert promised us 100hd channels..... Now hopefully the LDREX won't delay the launch
I think D* 9 is a replacement sat, not a new one, as in the ones we are waiting for/

Jimbo

Even if this a replacement, is it possible it could add capacity? It is newer then the one its replacing. One could only wish......

Not really. It does not have any Ka capacity. It is a Ku spotbeam satellite. Now if there a re a few markets that still have their locals on CONUS, then possibly. But probably not.

Our best chance is D* using the Ka capacity on D*8 at 101.

herdfan said:
Not really. It does not have any Ka capacity. It is a Ku spotbeam satellite. Now if there a re a few markets that still have their locals on CONUS, then possibly. But probably not.

Our best chance is D* using the Ka capacity on D*8 at 101.
------------
As a matter of fact, it doe's have KA capacity which D* recently applied for and was granted permission from the FCC.......
----------
ORDER AND AUTHORIZATION

Adopted: July 21, 2006 Released: July 21, 2006

By the Chief, Satellite Division, International Bureau:

I. INTRODUCTION
By this Order, we authorize DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC (DIRECTV) to launch and operate DIRECTV 9S, a Geostationary Satellite Orbit (GSO) satellite which will contain a Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) space station and a Fixed Satellite Service (FSS) Ka-band space station, at the 101.10º W.L. orbital location.
1.The DBS space station of the DIRECTV 9S satellite will be collocated at the nominal 101º W.L. orbital location with the DIRECTV 1R, DIRECTV 4S, and DIRECTV 8 satellites, where it will continue to provide national and local-into-local programming to DIRECTV subscribers, and will also provide redundancy for DIRECTV’s existing DBS satellites. We conclude that granting DIRECTV’s application for the DBS space station on the proposed DIRECTV 9S satellite is in the public interest because it will result in increased efficiency and capacity for DIRECTV’s DBS satellite system which will allow DIRECTV to improve its service offerings to consumers.

hancox said:
http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/news_sub_missionupdate_index.html

Above is a good place to keep looking for mission updates, not that it's the "next launch"
---------------
Looks like the launch date has slipped some....
"The spacecraft was fueled this week in the S5B hall of the Spaceport's large S5 payload preparation facility, marking another milestone leading to the liftoff of Ariane 5 on October 12. "

questic said:
I wish it would replace the 72W sat for my locals.

Oh, good. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.. lol

I was talking to a CSR the other day about DirecTV9 and she was saying about their lease of the 72.5 space is going to be ending somewhat soon and they are either going to try to buy that location or they will need to move all of those locals out of there and was kind of hinting around to DirecTV9 doing that. She also said that the locals on 119 most likely wouldn't be there forever either.

But.. you know how that goes when you hear something from a CSR.. I won't hold my breath :p

-Dan

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)